Centred against a backdrop of racial tensions, systematic discriminations and global activism, The Exchange webinar series at Stephen Lawrence Research Centre (SLRC) will host a panel-led discussion to explore issues of race and black masculinity within the media, as part of DMU's Black History Season.
The panel will identify constructions of negative black typologies and the impact such characterisations have on the black male psyche. We will explore the impact and legacies of Blackness on screen and celebrate the pioneers who continue to place race at the forefront of this generation.
On the panel will be:
- Shardia Briscoe Palmer, SLRC early career fellow and lecturer in media, race and social justice
- Dr Ysef Bakkali, SLRC legacy in action research fellow
- Derrick Mensah, special projects officer (student engagement)
- Keeley Close, Law student and SLRC Frontrunner
- Favour Akhetuamen, Mechanical Engineering student and student engagement associate.
You can watch the webinar on Thursday 29 October from 4.30 - 5.30pm on DMU's YouTube channel.
Watch previous webinars in The Exchange series here.
Posted on Friday 16th October 2020