DMU is a scholarly community with a culture of research excellence, where postgraduate research students are nurtured and recognised by scholars and research leaders.
Universities have a key role in UK industry, through the development of new technologies and a skilled workforce. DMU is well-placed to lead in this regard, with internationally recognised research groups in cyber-security, transport, energy, water, advanced manufacturing and creative industries.
Disciplines evolve over time and we are committed to supporting emerging areas that challenge convention and to supporting research at the interfaces between disciplines that exploit synergies to address key societal challenges. Underpinning this are DMU’s values:
- Creativity: innovative research requires creative thinking and we must ensure we have an environment that encourages this.
- Professionalism: all our research must be conducted with individuals and leaders operating with appropriate transparency, autonomy and accountability.
- Pride: it is important that we enjoy our research and celebrate success.
- Respect: our research community expects mutual respect which in turn leads to constructive criticism being sought and given.
- Aspiration: our diverse range of students all deserve to gain the benefits of an education informed by the latest thinking of internationally-renowned researchers. Our research reputation directly impacts on our university’s wider reputation which in turn makes us an institution of choice for students, staff and external partners.
Read about the outcomes of this year's Postgraduate Research Experience Survey (PRES) here.
Learn more about our research environment, our research institutes, and research degree opportunities through our Research Degrees Brochure.