Please be aware that due to current government guidelines about social distancing some services may be affected during the pandemic.
“You can’t stop the waves, but you can learn to surf.” ― Jon Kabat-Zinn,
Learning to focus on the now can help to improve concentration, and regular mindful practice can boost our feelings of wellbeing. At DMU we offer regular Mindfulness sessions in The Breathing Space at the back of the Portland Building. Why not come along and join us for 30 minutes and take time to slow down, relax and be in the moment.
What students have said about DMU Mindfulness:
“Thoroughly enjoyed the session, such a different experience”
“Was very helpful with making me realise how easy it is to ground myself and de-stress”
- Motimate is a six week programme designed to help wellbeing in many ways, e.g. encourage students to be more active and have a structured activity to go to in order to improve mood, boost self-esteem and energy levels.
- Motimate provides students with opportunities to try something new, be around other people, increase motivation, have fun, lose weight etc.
- With support from instructors from the QEII Leisure Centre, the Motimate programmes can be flexible and customised to suit individual needs.
- For example, improve cardiovascular fitness, strength, stamina and flexibility. Activities can include a gym programme, any of the classes, the climbing wall and swimming.
- Students can attend the Leisure Centre as often as they like, free of charge, during the 6 week programme.
- We recommend attending at least 2-3 times a week to get the full benefits from the programme.
- Regular reviews can be requested, to talk through progress, highlight barriers, ask for support and adjust their programme etc.
How to access Motimate:
- To ensure that we direct you to the appropriate service you need to first book a Single Point of Access Appointment (SPA) where your needs will be assessed. SPA appointments can be booked via MyGateway which last about 30 minutes.
- You can also book SPA appointments in person at Student Gateway reception, which is located on the ground floor of Gateway House.