Health and wellbeing workshops
Staff, students and external organisations can learn more about supporting student health and wellbeing by attending workshops that are delivered throughout the year by experts from within the DMU’s Welfare and Wellbeing Teams.
Sessions are delivered online and on campus and are aligned to Healthy DMU, our whole university approach to student wellbeing at De Montfort University. The principles underlying this approach are to make healthier choices easier, embed health-promoting behaviours within the culture at DMU and reduce inequalities in health and wellbeing.
- Keep Us in Mind, an introduction to DMU’s welfare and wellbeing services for staff
- Supporting Student Disclosures
- Professional Boundaries and Student Support
- Empowering Students and Mental Health
- Empowering Students and Dyslexia
- Empowering Students and Autism
- Empowering Students and Sensory Disability
- Disability Confidence (CPD accredited)
- Demystifying Disabled Students Allowance (DSA)
- Supporting Students with Epilepsy
- An Introduction to No Space for Hate
- Introduction to Mandala
- Supporting Student Mental Health and Wellbeing (CPD accredited)
Workshop information is complimented by up to date guidance available on the Healthy DMU Staff Toolkit that can be found on DMUConnect. External session attendees will be provided with these guidance materials by email.
Student input is vital to the construction of our training programmes. We want student voices from a diverse range of backgrounds to help inform the topics and contents of our sessions in order to provide the best possible support and enhance your experience of studying at DMU.
- Frontrunners internships: Year-long placements within DMU, tailored to fit around your studies. Healthy DMU is currently looking for a Promotions and Training Frontrunner. Apply through the DMU Careers Team.
- Look After Your Mate: Students can sign up to attend Student Minds’ Look After Your Mate workshops; sessions are bookable through the Healthy DMU Hub. The Look After Your Mate workshop aims to give students across the UK the knowledge, confidence and skills they need to support their friends’ wellbeing at university.
- Healthy DMU Masterclasses: Classes range in subject, including mindfulness skills, fostering a positive mindset, confident communication and more. See the upcoming sessions and book a spot online.
Our staff training sessions are available to all DMU and DSU staff, including Frontrunners and student volunteers.
Universities have a duty of care to support the health and wellbeing of their students. Training equips attendees with useable skills that have a positive impact on the academic and personal experience of our students. Students who feel that support is available for their mental health are more likely to have an easier, more enjoyable time at university; Healthy DMU is underpinned by the theory that health and wellbeing and academic success are closely linked.
Feeling confident about supporting and signposting students also impacts positively of staff wellbeing, with previous delegates saying:
- “[The session contained] really clear and concise information which was well presented with engaging conversations taking place”
- “[The session included] guidance about consulting the staff toolkit with any student queries. Was a really good session that was informative and participatory”
- “Links and info provided to share with students. Nice to use case studies to put us in the situations students face”
To enquire about training for you or your team, email DMU’s Training and Business Development Officer, Leanne Herbert a Lherbert@dmu.ac.uk.