Combining creativity and knowledge of specialist technology, coupled with strong industry links, you will graduate with the skills required for roles as an environment artist, character artist, lead artist, technical artist or director.
This specialist art degree, accredited by ScreenSkills, will help you to master high-level 3D modelling skills, as well as develop your existing 2D traditional art skills, through modules including Game Production, Digital Art Practice and Traditional Art Practice. Showcase your talent and creativity by producing an industry-ready portfolio, with support from your academic and technical supervisors.
Our excellent facilities include a dedicated games studio with a range of industry-standard software and high-spec PCs and consoles for producing 3D game content, a drawing studio and a suite of Cintiq graphics tablets. We also have VR development facilities to support students who wish to work in visualisation and virtual reality.
Our vibrant studio culture means you will always be at the forefront of the latest industry trends and techniques. You will also have the opportunity to take part in national and international creative events and challenges such as The Rookies and Search for a Star.
Recent graduates are working for companies such as Ubisoft, BMW, NaturalMotion, Playground Games, Codemasters, Dambusters Studios, Lockwood, Rockstar North and Jagex. Have a look at the amazing work of our recent graduates and alumni on: ArtStation - Game Art DMU.
The Game Art team at DMU are extremely happy and proud to share the achievement of one of our recent graduates - Jesse Olchawa. Jesse's environment art project, The Pink Lady Diner, is a finalist in the Epic Games Student Showreel 2023, which features the best work from Unreal Academic Partner programmes worldwide! Watch the Unreal Showreel.
Work by final year Game Art students as showcased in the Creative Design Degree Show 2023
- This course is recognised by ScreenSkills, the industry-led skills body for the UK's screen-based industries, and carries the ScreenSkills Select quality-mark which indicates courses best suited to prepare students for a career in the screen industries.
- Our Game Art BA course is an Unreal Academic Partner, a program which recognises exemplary universities that have already integrated Unreal Engine into their classes and labs.
For the duration of their studies, Game Art students have a free Pro account with ArtStation, the leading platform for game artists to showcase their portfolios, stay inspired and connect with new opportunities for success. This gives our students access to ArtStation Learning, which hosts courses made by our industry peers and is a great tool for further study.
- Exhibit your work at the week-long DMU Degree Show, one of Leicester’s biggest art and design shows, where final-year students have the chance to meet talent scouts and win industry prizes.
- Access one-to-one support from the Leicester Media School Drawing Centre to perfect your drawing skills and meet like-minded artists.
- Benefit from a range of specialist guest lectures, including professional 3D artists, producers, art directors and studio heads.
- Enhance your practical and professional skills with a range of dedicated work placements. Past students have landed positions with Codemasters, Crytek, Ubisoft and the BBC.
- Enjoy an international experience with DMU Global. Game Art students have visited San Francisco for the renowned Game Developers Conference, participated in the Berlin Games Festival and taken part in the GREAT Festival of Innovation in Hong Kong.
- Benefit from Education 2030, where a simplified ‘block learning’ timetable means you will study one subject at a time and have more time to engage with your learning, receive faster feedback and enjoy a better study-life balance.
"The BA (Hons) Game Art course offers high levels of industry engagement from both large and small companies within the UK Games industry."
Find out what makes a great portfolio
Game Art portfolio advice
Student success and news
DMU student Shay is thriving in the EA games environment
Game Art at DMU earns prestigious industry recognition
More courses like this:
Animation BA (Hons)
Games Production BSc (Hons)
Concept and Comic Art BA (Hons)