What are we looking for?
Hear from Subject Group Leader Dan Morley and our other creative design academics as they share their top tips for what to include in your portfolio.
We believe that the quality of work in a portfolio is more important than the quantity, so we are most keen to see the work that demonstrates your full potential as an artist.
It must include a full range of personal artwork, coursework and sketchbooks, enabling us to fully assess your capabilities. Do not miss out other personal creative activities you have developed that might be important to support your application.
- Observational drawing skills, demonstrate a range of traditional art techniques such as drawing from life, the human form, rural or urban landscape and still life.
- Current coursework at A Level / BTEC level showing development though to the final artwork. It should be illustrative and distinctive.
- Sketchbook showing original thinking and idea generation.
- Use of digital software such as Photoshop, Illustrator and any other creative app.
- Preproduction, concept design of characters and/or props.
- Evidence of spatial awareness and an ability to think three dimensionally.
We are also looking for evidence of good and original visual communication skills and an inquisitive mind. We encourage you not to have work that is purely a copy of fan art, photographs, film stills and other artist’s work.
Once you have made an application for the programme, you will be required to submit an online portfolio of high-quality, scanned work via www.mailbigfile.com/dmuac with your full name and programme title. The contents of your online portfolio should be the strongest pieces in your overall portfolio, and should contain a full range of personal artwork, coursework and include sketchbooks.
Your portfolio will then be reviewed by our experienced programme academics, and we may contact you for further work if necessary. Upon review of your portfolio, a decision will be made about whether you will be invited to an online interview via Microsoft Teams.