Inviting friends and family to the UK

During your studies at DMU, you may wish to invite your family or friends to visit you or attend your graduation ceremony in the UK for example.

Unless they already have or are eligible to apply for any other suitable visa categories, they would usually need to apply for a Standard Visitor visa.

You can write a letter for your family member(s)/friend(s) to include in their Standard Visitor visa application to invite them to visit you or to attend your graduation ceremony for example.

This letter needs to be:

  • Dated
  • Addressed to the UK visa centre where your family member/friend is applying for their visa
  • Includes the name and details of the family member/friend visiting, when they will visit and what arrangements will be made for them

Current students

You can include your student status letter with their visa application too. You can print this self-service from the 'mydocuments' tile on the mydmu app. If you have any issues with accessing this, then you can email for assistance.

Graduation ceremony invitation letters

If you need a graduation ceremony confirmation letter for your family member/friend, you will need to use your confirmation of graduation booking (this states all the information including: full name, course, and venue).

At the bottom of the graduation booking email confirmation it states: “Please note: Your Embassy WILL NOT require a letter from DMU. This confirmation email will be sufficient”. 

Examples of documents that may be required

  • Passport
  • The visa fee in local currency
  • Evidence that they have enough money to support themselves whilst in the UK, for example, bank statements, payslips, or a letter from their employer
  • If you intend to support them financially during their visit they will also need to provide (i) your bank statements with their application, and (ii) a letter from you confirming that you are able to maintain and accommodate them during their stay
  • If they will be staying with you, you may also need to provide proof of your accommodation and that they have permission to stay with you
  • Invitation letter from you
  • DMU student status letter
  • A photocopy of (i) your passport (the photograph page), (ii) your current student visa or biometric residence permit and (iii) your police registration certificate if you have one
  • Evidence that your family have every reason to leave the UK at the end of their visit. For example, a letter from their employer to show they will be returning to their home country
  • An itinerary (plan) for their visit to the UK


See more information on the Standard Visitor visa route.