Applying for a student visa (inside the UK)

This information relates to making an application inside the UK. If you will be applying outside the UK for entry clearance, please see our entry clearance student visa information.

Eligibility to extend/switch in the UK

You cannot apply to extend/switch in the UK if you have one of the following visas:

  • a visit visa
  • a short-term student visa
  • a Parent of a Child Student visa
  • a seasonal worker visa
  • a domestic worker in a private household visa



  1. Academic progression

    This refers to the requirement for Student visa applicants to be progressing academically from their previous study on a Student visa. An acceptable example of this would be where a student has previously studied at undergraduate level (RQF 6) and will be studying a new course at postgraduate level (RQF 7). This should meet the academic progression requirements.

    A student may also potentially be exempt from academic progression if they meet one of the exemptions stated in the UKVI immigration rules. An example where an exemption may be satisfactorily met would be where a visa extension application was being made due to the addition of an assessed work placement to the course for which the current Student visa was issued for.

    Where an applicant needs more time to complete the course that they were last issued a Student visa for in order to undertake re-sit examinations or repeat modules, or complete a course in respect of which they have previously re-sat examinations or repeated modules, then this should also meet the exemptions stated.

    Exemptions do not cover deferrals such as where a student needs more time to complete a module or a dissertation for example and has not previously submitted that module/dissertation. In this scenario, the student would need to return to their home country to apply for entry clearance.

    These applicants who have already studied in the UK will have to apply for entry clearance if they need more time but do not meet the academic progress requirement or the exceptions to it.

  2. 28 day rule

    Students can only apply to extend their Student visa or switch to the Student visa route if the new course of study commences within 28 days of the expiry of their current period of permission. If the visa will expire more than 28 days before the course start date, you would be required to return to your home country and apply for entry clearance instead.
  3. When you can apply for your student visa

    The earliest you can submit an application to UKVI is 3 months before the start date of your programme (as stated on your CAS). If you submit an application earlier than this you will automatically be refused. The application date is the date you pay for your application.

    You will be required to pay an administrative fee of £25.00 for the CAS which is a charge issued to the university by the UKVI.

  4. Biometrics

    As part of the application process you will be required to give biometric information.

    You may need to book an appointment to do this on-line after you submit and pay for your application. This means providing your fingerprints, a photograph and a digital signature. You will either have to attend a UKVCAS centre to submit your biometrics, or you may be able to do this through the IDV app on your phone remotely.

    Alternatively, you could use the ‘UK Immigration: ID Check’ app to scan your identity document - you’ll also create or sign into your UK Visas and Immigration (UKVI) account. You can see guidance on how to use the ID Check app.

  5. Visa application fee

    The application fee for a Standard Service application is £490.00. This application is likely to take around 8 weeks for you to receive a decision on your application. Priority Service application is £990.00 which should enable you to receive a decision on your application within 5 days. A Super Priority Service application is £1490.00 which should enable you to receive a decision on your application the next working day.

    If you do not use the UK Immigration ID Check app, and choose to enrol your biometrics through UKVCAS instead, you will also need to pay an extra £19.20 for biometric enrolment. In this case, a decision cannot be made on your application until you have successfully enrolled your biometrics.

  6. Healthcare charge (IHS surcharge)

    All Student Route visa applications made for a programme of study of more than 6 months in duration will be required to pay a fee for access to NHS healthcare in the UK. You must pay this Immigration Health Surcharge (IHS) fee in advance and it is a mandatory requirement for a visa application. If you do not pay it your visa application will be refused.

    From 6 February 2024 IHS is £776.00 per year – calculate your total IHS payment.

  7. BRP Collection

    As part of your visa application you are required to specify a correspondence address. We would usually advise you to use the university’s immigration compliance department address as this is a safe and secure place to have your BRP delivered to.

    Please enter the below address for your BRP delivery, but then answer ‘No’ to the question ‘is this the address you are living at’ and proceed to enter your UK residential address.

    De Montfort University
    c/o Immigration Compliance
    The Gateway
    LE1 9BH

  8. What you may need to make an application

    • Passport(s): You will need to provide your current passport and any previous passports needed as part of the application 

    • Proof of qualifications:  You will need to provide certificates or transcripts of the qualifications you used to obtain your unconditional offer. This includes your academic qualifications and any relevant English Language qualifications (such as your IELTS test). These documents will be listed on your CAS statement. You only need to provide the documents listed there.

    • Financial evidence:  If you have been residing in the UK for a minimum of 12 months on the date of application and travelled outside the UK for less than 3 months at any time during the previous 12 months, then you should automatically meet the financial requirements set out in Appendix ST 12.1 of the UKVI immigration rules and not be required to provide copies of financial documents. If you do not meet this requirement then you will need to provide financial requirements, guidance on these is provided by UKCISA 
      • If using parents funds, you will need to include a letter of permission from the parent(s) and your birth certificate.
      • If you are or have been financially sponsored by a government or international business for example in the past 12 months, you will need to include an official financial sponsorship consent letter.

    • ATAS certificate: You may be required to provide an ATAS certificate with your application if you are studying at advanced levels in certain subject areas.

    • Proof of address (such as a tenancy agreement, bank statement, or utility bill)

    • A signed family consent form

    If your documents are not in English you will need to provide official verified translations in addition to the originals, each translation must contain:

    • confirmation from the translator / translation company that it is an accurate translation of the original document
    • the date of the translation
    • the full name and signature of the translator, or of an authorised official of the translation company
    • the contact details of the translator or translation company; and
    • certification by a qualified translator and details of the translator or translation company’s credentials
  9. Time limits

    There is a time limit applied by the Home Office for degree-level courses which applies to Student permission and pre-Student immigration permission. Only permission you have been granted to study degree-level courses will be counted. In most cases, this maximum limit is five years and 11 months. If you are under 18, there is no limit on your Student immigration permission.

    If you are unsure on how much time you have spent in the UK already, then you can calculate this online.

    The immigration rules make it clear that the whole duration of your Student permission (your visa) is counted, including the extra periods of time added to your visa before and after your course. There are no deductions: vacations, time spent outside the UK, any time spent not studying, and any time spent on a different level course are all included. However, the Home Office's Student and Child Student guidance confirms that if your visa is curtailed only the period before the new expiry date is counted.

  10. Confirmation of Acceptance for Studies (CAS)

    You will need to enter the new unique CAS number you have been issued into your visa application when requested in the application. You must ensure the CAS you use is for DMU with sponsor licence number ‘65WAU7E24’ and that it has not already expired. The expiry date will be confirmed on the first page of the CAS document.


How to make your application

You need to make your Student Route visa application from the application page, and choose 'applying inside the UK' to make a Permission to Stay application.

Go to visa application


For DMU students able to apply in the UK, the Visa Advice Team at DMU can assist through MS Teams appointments to check that you have the correct supporting documents ready and help you to make your online visa application together. Please email us at to start this process.

Registering on your course

Once you have made a valid Student visa application, we will require evidence of this, such as your UKVI document checklist or application form. So long as you have made the application before your previous visa expired, then you can register/remain registered on your course whilst you are awaiting a decision to be made on your application. As soon as you receive a decision on your application, you must let us know urgently. Once you have collected your BRP card, you will need to send us a copy of the front and back of the BRP card for us to save for our records.

Overstaying your visa 

If you are eligible to extend your student visa from within the UK, you must ensure that you submit your visa application before your current visa expires. If you do not submit your application in-time, you will become an overstayer. 

Overstaying means allowing your visa to expire and staying in the UK which is a criminal offence.  

If you have become an overstayer, you will need to depart the UK immediately. Any further visa application you make will need to be submitted from outside the UK. You may also be required to provide evidence to show that you have left the UK before the university considers assigning a new CAS and could also impact on your ability to get a new visa.