Lost Biometric Residence Permit (BRP)

If you lose your BRP card, you will be required by law to replace this and pay for a new replacement BRP.

You will not be able to travel back to the UK without your BRP, this may delay or even cancel your travel plans. You may also not be able to travel to Europe or the United States until you have replaced your permit.  In addition, you can be fined up to £1,000 and made to leave the UK if you don’t apply for a replacement in time. 

If you have more than three months' leave remaining, you will need to apply for a replacement BRP. You must apply for your replacement BRP within three months of the loss/theft. You can report your BRP lost/stolen and apply for a replacement online at the same time.

The fee for a replacement BRP is £19.00 for the standard service and £1019.00 for the super priority service. You must apply for a replacement if you have more than three months' leave remaining, even if you intend to leave the UK soon. Failure to do so may result in a fine, curtailed leave or implications for future UK visa applications. 

If you have less than three months' leave remaining, you should either apply for further immigration permission (if you're eligible to do so) or exit the UK before your leave expires. 

If you have lost your passport as well, you must also update UK Visas & Immigration with your new passport details by filling in a  Migrant Change of Circumstances form. Please ensure you also email a colour copy of your new passport to DMU as well so this can be saved for our records.

Documents that may be required for your application

  • Proof of address (such as a tenancy agreement, a bank Statement, or a utility bill)
  • Signed family consent form, you will need to sign and complete the relevant pages
  • Current passport
  • Debit/credit card to pay the application fee of £19.00
  • Home Office decision letter
  • Police report for your lost BRP card

BRP lost or stolen overseas  

If you lose your BRP overseas, there is a duty to report the loss. Even if you are not planning to return to the UK during the period of visa covered by the lost BRP, or you plan to return to the UK under a different immigration category, you must still report the loss/theft. 

You must report your BRP loss to UKVI 

It will be extremely difficult to return to the UK without a BRP so if you need to return to the UK, you must apply for a single-entry visa and select ‘BRP Vignette Transfer’.

We have a guide to assist students with applying for a replacement BRP vignette to return to the UK, to view this please click here

More information about this is available on the following UKCISA webpage 

Once you have used the single-entry visa to replace the BRP to enter the UK, you will need to apply within 1 month of your return to the UK for a replacement BRP.