Skip to content

Travelling to DMU


  1. Covid 19: Arrival, quarantine and Safe Trace

    If you are planning to travel to the UK, you will need to follow UK Government rules for travelling to England.

    There are different rules if you have been in a red list country or territory in the 10 days before you arrive in England. Rules for arrivals from Red List countries apply whether you are fully vaccinated or not.

    If you are required to quarantine, we recommend that you prepare by making sure that you have read the DMU Self-Isolation guidance before you travel. Upon arrival at your accommodation please also report that you are self-isolating by completing this DMU Safe Trace Self-Isolation form. The DMU Safe Trace system is designed to minimise the transmission of Covid-19 on campus. Find out more about Safe Trace on our website.

  2. Using eGates on arrival at the UK border

    Travellers from the following countries can use Passport eGates on arrival at the UK border - Australia, Canada, Japan, New Zealand, Singapore, South Korea and USA.

    Nationals from these countries entering the UK either as a visitor or as a Student, are no longer required to seek approval for entry to the UK from a Border Force Officer. It is important that you retain your boarding pass as proof of entry to the UK.

    • Arriving with a Student Visa (from the countries listed above): If you enter the UK via the e-Gate when your Student Visa vignette is valid, you will activate your Student Visa. However, if you are planning to arrive earlier than the start date of your Student Visa and you enter via the eGates, you will only be entering the UK as a tourist and will not be able to register for your programme. You will need to leave the UK and re-enter when your Student Visa is valid for it to be activated and enable you to register.
    • Short-term student: Do not use the eGates. You must speak to a Border Force Officer in order to obtain a short-term study stamp in your passport. If you do use the eGates, the university will not be able to register you. You will have to leave the UK and travel outside the Common Travel Area (UK, Ireland, Crown Dependencies) and seek re-entry in the correct category via a Border Force Officer before we can register you on your programme.

    For more information on how to use passport eGates, please see more information from UK Border Force.

  3. Travelling from the airport to DMU

    You can find guidance here on coach, train and taxi services to Leicester, from the following airports:

  4. Moving into your accommodation

    Please make sure that you have arranged accommodation before you arrive at DMU. Rooms in halls should be arranged and confirmed in advance.

    If you have a place at DMU you should have already received an email inviting you to book your accommodation online. If you haven’t received this, please let us know by emailing us at Further information can be found on our accommodation pages.

  5. What to bring with you

    You can get detailed information from UK Border Force about what you are allowed to bring with you into the UK, and what items you need to declare as you go through Customs. Be careful if you are planning to bring food; bringing meat, milk and other animal products from outside the EU is prohibited by HM Revenue and Customs.

    Additional guidance about your arrival is also available from the UK Council for International Student Affairs (UKCISA).

  6. Insurance

    We advise all students to consider arranging travel insurance for yourself and your luggage. Once you are in the UK, we strongly recommend that you arrange insurance for your personal belongings and valuables. The insurance company Endsleigh is recommended by the National Union of Students (NUS); check their website for more information or look for other insurance providers online.

    If your course is for six months or more then you should be able to access the UK National Health Service. If your course lasts for less than six months, you will not be entitled to access the full range of NHS services and so you may need to arrange private healthcare insurance.