Working after you graduate

You may be looking to work in the UK after you've completed your studies. This page summarises some of the possible routes to switching from a student visa to a work visa. More comprehensive information is available from the UK Council for International Student Affairs (UKCISA) and from the UK government.

Graduate route (Post study work)

The Graduate route is similar to the previous Post-Study Work scheme and and offers applicants the opportunity to stay in the UK to live and work for 2 years after they graduate (3 years for PhD students).

If you have completed your course successfully and your Student Visa has not yet expired then you should be eligible to apply. The Graduate route requires a new visa application, which is only possible from within the UK. Applicants will need to pay a visa fee of £715 and the Immigration Health Surcharge at £624 per year. 

The UK Council for International Student Affairs (UKCISA) provide detailed information about the Graduate Visa, including links to the application form and Home Office guidance. The DMU Visa Advice team can also provide advice and guidance on the Graduate Visa.

Skilled worker route

Graduates may be able to apply to stay to work in the UK by making an application under the Skilled Worker route. In order to apply under the Skilled Worker route you would need sponsorship by a licensed employer to do a specific job that meets minimum levels of skill and salary. If you have a prospective employer, you could ask them about applying for the Skilled Worker Route.

Find out more about the Skilled worker route.

Start-up route

The Start-up route is aimed at people, including those with Tier 4, Student or Graduate route permission, who wish to establish a business in the UK, and who have a business plan endorsed by a Home Office-approved endorsing body. It replaced the Tier 1 Graduate Entrepreneur scheme. 

If you are currently a DMU student, the DMU Careers Enterprise team can provide advice and guidance. You can also find more information on the UKCISA website