Skip to content

Registering with the police

Students from certain countries will usually need to register with the police as a Foreign National if they hold a visa for more than six months.

You should check the 30-day vignette (visa sticker) in your passport to see whether or not you are required to register. If you need to register, your student visa sticker will usually say “police registration”. If you completed a paper visa application form (for example if your BRP was lost or stolen and you applied for replacement), then the requirement to register will be included in your letter from the Home Office, and not on your visa.

Leicestershire Police provide a list of those countries whose nationals will usually need to register.

The spouse or child (aged 16 or over) of a student who is admitted to the UK on a student visa for more than six months will also need to register with the police. If you are admitted to the UK on a visa for less than six months and later extend your current student visa in the UK for more than six months, you will also need to register with the police.

A police registration certificate is valid for the duration of your stay in the UK and should be renewed every time you extend your visa. You must also renew your police registration certificate every time you change address, academic course, place of study, marital status or if you renew your passport.

When you register for the first time you will need to pay £34 per person. There is also a £34 charge for renewing your police registration certificate if the original is lost or full.

If you are required to register your visa, it is important to do so. If you fail to comply with a condition to register with the police, or to notify them of changes, you will be committing an offence and could be fined. Your current or any further application for stay in the UK could also be affected.

You can find more information from Leicestershire Police.

How do I register my visa?

If you need to register your visa (or if you have already registered and need to report a change of circumstances), you will need to set up an account online with the Overseas Visitors Records Office (OVRO). You would usually then make an appointment to register your visa at Mansfield House police station, at Belgrave Gate in Leicester. You can find out more from the Leicestershire Police website.

You can find out how to set up an appointment directly from OVRO. If you need to self-isolate when you arrive in the UK, you must complete your self-isolation before you attend an appointment (although you can set up an account with OVRO whilst self-isolating). In most cases, it will not be possible to register a visa within 7 days; this will not be a problem, provided you register as soon as you are able to.

Please note that OVRO are not able to register visas at DMU. 

If you have questions about registering your visa, you can contact the police through their website.