This is a challenging time and we realise you may feel uncertain about what the future holds in terms of jobs and career options, especially if you are in your final year.
In fact, there are currently a good number of job opportunities and placements out there, and lots of ways to build your skills online while you’re based at home. Some industries are experiencing a downturn, but others are growing as a result of the pandemic situation. It’s important to keep an open mind and have a positive attitude about the wide variety of career paths open to you, whatever your degree.
The DMUworks team is here to support you - please get in touch to talk to a team member and receive practical help and advice. The team is working from home and offering appointments, e-guidance and now live chat to make it as easy as possible for you to reach us. Many employers are offering webinars and online assessments, hoping to reach students as usual, and we can let you know what’s coming up and help you prepare and make a great impression.
The list below tells you all the ways you can contact us or login to access a wide range of resources.
Login to MyGateway to:
- Book a telephone 1-1 appointment
- Upload your CV to CV360 in the DMUworks Skills Hub, receiving a quick and personalised report on tips to improve it
- Practice your video interviewing technique using our fantastic new online resource, Shortlister
- Access a range of other online information and resources in our DMUworks Skills Hub
- Take part in 1:1 Careers Live Chat between the hours of 11am and 1pm, Monday to Friday. Just look for the speech bubble icon in the Skills Hub.
- Search for a range of employment opportunities such as part-time work, placements, graduate roles and summer opportunities such as Unigrow.
You can also use this time to explore new ways to build your skills:
- Virtual internships are a great way to add value to your CV while you look for paid work. Employers love seeing these kinds of experiences on CVs and they give you extra to talk about in job applications and interviews. We currently have some virtual internships advertised on MyGateway and there are lots more out there of you search the web.
- The university has acquired a license for Linkedin Learning, meaning you have free access to all kinds of online training courses that can help you stand out. Learn to do something new, from web coding to graphic design to managing a project; there are thousands of options. Access LinkedIn Learning here.
- We are working closely with employers to provide online sessions so you can find out about their vacancies and current recruitment processes. Many employers are moving all their normal recruitment activities online - don’t miss out! Keep a look out in your emails and on MyGateway for information on upcoming events.
- Our Placement Teams are fully available to support you with your sandwich-year placement applications. Employers are still recruiting for next year, so keep up your momentum and please ask for our help!
This is a challenging period but it also provides exciting opportunities to explore new and varied experiences and DMUworks is here to help you.
Posted on Friday 15th May 2020