Established in 1995, our Sports History and Culture MA will give you a firm grounding in modern sports development, from traditional forms to present day practices. This is a flexible and interactive programme that, thanks to its close links with the International Centre for Sports History and Culture (ICSHC), ensures your learning is at the cutting edge of research in this area.
You will investigate the origins of modern sport, examine its cultural and global significance, discover how sport can help us understand society and different communities, as well as consider how historians of sport can use primary sources. The scope of the course is global, not only analysing how modern sport spread from its British origins, but also how other nations embraced sport within their own cultural contexts.
The ICSHC has the foremost historians in the field on its staff who publish critically acclaimed books and articles, are editors of leading journals, organise international conferences, and work as consultants for a variety of projects, including the major BBC radio series Sport and the British. While you will study full-time or part-time via online lectures, you will also be invited to attend seminars and conferences organised by the ICSHC and partnership groups such as the British Society of Sports History and the European Committee for Sports History. These partnerships, coupled with our academic team’s expertise and real-world experience, will provide you with a challenging and rewarding intellectual experience. You will be encouraged to become part of our wider research community at the ICSHC, both in person and through social media.
Alongside gaining a deep understanding of the history of sport, you will develop skills in independent research by producing a sustained piece of writing and primary source analysis. As a graduate, you will be ideally placed for a career in sports writing, sport development, management, the media, teaching or to undertake PhD research.
As this course is delivered online by distance learning, you will need access to the internet and a computer with software capable of reading and writing Rich Text Format documents, such as Microsoft Word, Appleworks or StarOffice.
- You will explore and examine the process of sports development through a number of themes and lenses, including social and cultural history and the relationship between sport and politics.
- The ICSHC is widely acknowledged as the leading centre for the study of sport history in the world, organising international conferences, working with major media outlets such as the BBC and housing sport-themed archives of national significance in DMU’s Special Collections.
- Benefit from the ICSHC’s extensive network of sporting and cultural partnerships with local, national and global sporting bodies, including the British Society of Sports History, Musée National du Sport in France, the National Football Museum in Manchester, Leicestershire County Cricket Club and Leicester City Football Club.
- This online distance learning programme caters for both full-time and part-time students, enabling you to study at your own pace with ongoing support from our expert academic staff.
- You will learn from an expert teaching team, who are renowned in the field of the history of sport and who maintain links with major sporting organisations, professional associations and academic partners, ensuring that your learning is at the cutting edge of research in this area.
- The focus on individual research means this programme provides ideal preparation for progression to PhD study.
At DMU, we are committed to helping our graduates enhance their careers and personal development through further study.
Postgraduate Alumni Scholarship
Up to 30 per cent of tuition fees offered to DMU alumni who wish to continue their studies at DMU by enrolling on a Postgraduate taught course. For more information visit our Postgraduate Alumni Scholarship page.
Apply for the DMU Sports Scholarship, worth up to £6,000.
More courses like this:
Management, Law and Humanities of Sport MA
Business Management in Sport MSc