Institute for Applied Economics and Social Value publications
The institute is home to cutting edge research in a number of fields including macroeconomics, development economics, behavioural economics, industrial economics, tourism, econometrics and conflict studies.
The institute also has a thriving and collaborative research environment with regular external speakers and research workshops.
Members of the institute have published research in leading peer-reviewed journals including European Economic Review, Journal of Economic Behaviour and Organization, Journal of Development Economics, Games and Economics Behaviour, Physica A, Journal of Comparative Economics, Journal of Business Ethics, Personality and Individual Differences, Research Policy and Annals of Tourism Research.
Recent publications by members of the institute include:
Alam, M. S., Atif, M., Chien-Chi, C., & Soytaş, U. (2019). Does corporate R&D investment affect firm environmental performance? Evidence from G-6 countries. Energy Economics, 78, 401-411.
Hassani, H., Huang, X., & Silva, E. (2019). Big Data and Climate Change. Big Data and Cognitive Computing, 3(1), 12.
Chikalipah, S., & Okafor, G. (2019). Dynamic linkage between Economic growth and human development: time series evidence from Nigeria. Journal of International Development, 31(1), 22-38.
Kolade, O., Obembe, D., & Salia, S. (2019). Technological constraints to firm performance: the moderating effects of firm linkages and cooperation. Journal of Small Business and Enterprise Development, 26(1), 85-104.
Alam, M. S., Selvanathan, E. A., Selvanathan, S., & Hossain, M. (2019). The apparel industry in the post‐Multifiber Arrangement environment: A review. Review of Development Economics.
Cartwright, E., Stepanova, A., & Xue, L. (2019). Impulse balance and framing effects in threshold public good games. Journal of Public Economic Theory.Silva, E. S., Hassani, H., Heravi, S., & Huang, X. (2019). Forecasting tourism demand with denoised neural networks. Annals of Tourism Research, 74, 134-154.
- Ullah, S., Wang, Z., Stokes, P., & Xiao, W. (2019) Risk Perceptions and risk management approaches of Chinese overseas investors: An empirical investigation. Research in International Business and Finance,47, 470-486
- Wang, Z., & Xu, M. (2018). Aid for trade and the quality of exports. Applied Economics Letters, 25(10), 668-673
- Joseph‐Richard, P., Jessop, T., Okafor, G., Almpanis, T., & Price, D. (2018). Big brother or harbinger of best practice: Can lecture capture actually improve teaching?. British Educational Research Journal, 44(3), 377-392
- Agarwal, N., & Wang, Z. (2018). Does the US EXIM Bank really promote US exports?. The World Economy, 41(5), 1378-1414
- Chikalipah, S., & Okafor, G. (2018). Dynamic linkage between Economic growth and human development: time series evidence from Nigeria. Journal of International Development
- Cartwright, E., & Singh, T. B. (2018). Observation and contagion effects in cooperation: An experimental investigation. Journal of Behavioral and Experimental Economics, 74, 151-160.
- Luong, T. A. (2018). Picking cherries or lemons: A unified theory of cross‐border mergers and acquisitions. The World Economy, 41(2), 653-666
- Tingbani, I., Okafor, G., Tauringana, V., & Zalata, A. M. (2018). Terrorism and country-level global business failure. Journal of Business Research
- Alam, M. S., Miah, M. D., Hammoudeh, S., & Tiwari, A. K. (2018). The nexus between access to electricity and labour productivity in developing countries. Energy Policy, 122, 715-726
- Cartwright, E. (2018). The Optimal Strategy in the Minimum Effort Game. Games, 9(3), 42
- Paramati, S. R., Alam, M. S., & Apergis, N. (2018). The role of stock markets on environmental degradation: A comparative study of developed and emerging market economies across the globe. Emerging Markets Review, 35, 19-30
- Fan, H., Gao, X., Li, Y. A., & Luong, T. A. (2018). Trade liberalization and mark-ups: Micro evidence from China. Journal of Comparative Economics, 46(1), 103-130
- Hossain, M., Islam, M. T., Momin, M. A., Nahar, S., & Alam, M. S. (2018). Understanding Communication of Sustainability Reporting: Application of Symbolic Convergence Theory (SCT). Journal of Business Ethics, 1-24
- Ghodsi, Z., Huang, X., & Hassani, H. (2017). Causality analysis detects the regulatory role of maternal effect genes in the early Drosophila embryo. Genomics data, 11, 20-38
- Alam, M. S., Selvanathan, E. A., & Selvanathan, S. (2017). Determinants of the Bangladesh garment exports in the post-MFA environment. Journal of the Asia Pacific Economy, 22(2), 330-352
- Silva, E.M., Hassani, H., Heravi, S., & Huang, X. (2019). Forecasting tourism demand with denoised neural networks. Annals of Tourism Research, 74, 134-154
- Huang, X., Hassani, H., Ghodsi, M., Mukherjee, Z., & Gupta, R. (2017). Do trend extraction approaches affect causality detection in climate change studies?. Physica A: Statistical Mechanics and its Applications, 469, 604-624
- Paramati, S. R., Shahbaz, M., & Alam, M. S. (2017). Does tourism degrade environmental quality? A comparative study of Eastern and Western European Union. Transportation Research Part D: Transport and Environment, 50, 1-13
- Cartwright, E., & Stepanova, A. (2017). Efficiency in a forced contribution threshold public good game. International Journal of Game Theory, 46(4), 1163-1191