Films, books and TV show recommendations
As recommended by staff and students across the university, we have collated a list of films, books and TV shows that feature and celebrate the lives of the LGBTQ+ community, including real life stories, dramas and documentaries.
Join us this February to take some time out to sit back, relax and watch/read one of the reccommened titles during LGBTQ+ History month.
The reading lists and playlists are given for titles available from the DMU library. There are also some further recommendations and links to items beyond our collection.
TV and Radio on demand (BoB)
This streaming service is only available to current DMU staff and students
The library has a guide that explains how students and staff can access TV and Radio on demand.
A playlist of recommended films available from this service has been created: DMU Pride 2022.
There is also a playlist of TV shows, DMU Pride 2022 TV shows.
BFI Player: LGBT Collection
Free for everyone
BFI Player offers an extensive collection of films focusing on LGBT Britain, which is free to view online.
The collection explores how lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender lives have been represented over the last century. It includes film, drama, documentaries and current affairs programmes from the early 20th century onwards. Some of the titles on the LGBT Britain collection on the BFI Player
BBC iPlayer has a collection of LGBTQ+ programmes available that includes drama, documentary, entertainment and news programmes.
Other recommended films
- Ellie and Abbie (and Ellie’s Dead Aunt)
- Song Lang
- The Watermelon Woman
- Tongues United
- I Can’t Think Straight
- Night Flight (Korean: 야간비행) (2014)
- The Favourite
- The Boys in the Band
- Everybody’s talking about Jamie
- Book Smart
The Watermelon Woman
Other recommended TV shows
- Orange is the New Black
- Dear White People
- I Am Not Okay With This
- The L Word Generation Q (Sky)
- Sex Education
- La Casa de los Flores (Mexican comedy/drama, Netflix)
- Tales of the City
See recommended books and DVDs available from the DMU library
Other recommended books
- Rainbow Milk - Paul Mendez
- Sarah - JT Leroy
- All Boys Aren’t Blue - George M. Johnson
- We Make It Better: The LGBTQ Community and Their Positive Contributions to Society – Eric Rosswood
- An Apartment on Uranus - Paul B. Preciado
- Life as a Unicorn – Amrou Al-Kadhi
- Straight Jacket – Mathew Todd
- Everything Leads to You - Nina LaCour
- Aristotle and Dante Discover the Secrets of the Universe - Benjamin Alire Sáenz
- The Last Beginning – Lauren James
- Aspire To (children's book) - Jane Hearst and Sandamini Pallepitiya
- Queering Your Therapy Practice: Queer Theory, Narrative Therapy, and Imagining New Identities - Julie Tilsen
- Bisexual and Pansexual Identities: Exploring and Challenging Invisibility and Invalidation - Nikki Hayfield
- The Sex Lives of African Women - Nana Darkoa Sekyiama
- In Their Shoes: Navigating Non-Binary Life - Jamie Windust
- Queer: A Collection of LGBTQ Writing from Ancient Times to Yesterday - Frank Wynne
- The Confession – Jessie Burton
- Female Masculinity - Jack Halberstam (Judith Halberstam)
- Gender Swapped Fairy Tales - Karrie Fransman
- Fabulous: The Rise of the Beautiful Eccentric - Madison Moore
Aristotle and Dante Discover the Secrets of the Universe, by Benjamin Alire Sáenz