Managing your money - applicants

Wherever you are on your university journey we have just the right advice for you

More advice for...

Month by month finance tips and advice for DMU applicants


Register with funding provider; Calculate student loan to help with budget plan


Applications for undergraduate student funding opens around February/March


Apply for accommodation; Contact Disability Advice and Support if you need disability support


Deadline to apply for funding (to get paid on time); Apply for a summer job


Results day - update student funding account details; Research student bank accounts

Please note: This content was written with undergraduate UK students in mind. If you are an international student please contact DMU Money Advice or International Student Support directly for further advice and guidance.


See what financial support DMU offers: When attending Open Days, ask about the types of loans, bursaries and scholarships you might be able to get. De Montfort University's web pages Funding your studies and Scholarships and Bursaries are a good source of information too.



Start saving now, prior to starting at DMU: Now is a good time to start saving for when you start university. Usually, you will need to pay your accommodation deposit and in some cases the first rent instalment, before you receive your student funding. Having some savings set aside will really help to cover the costs.



Register with your funding provider: If you register with your funding provider, they will send you updates to let you know when you can make your funding application. TIP: It’s always best to apply as soon as applications open.

Work out how much student loan you might getStudent Finance England’s Finance Calculator will help you work out in advance how much money you could have to live on. You can also save your calculation to make your application for funding easier in a few months’ time. Student Information Scotland also has a useful calculator. Student Finance Wales and Student Finance Northern Ireland have lots of useful information on what’s available to students.

NHS students: If you are studying a qualifying NHS course, you can also apply to the NHS Learning Support Fund in addition to your student funding package.



Article 26 Scholarship: The application cycle normally opens for the following academic year. The Article 26 Scholarships are for students who are seeking asylum in the UK and therefore ineligible for student funding due to Home Office restrictions. Visit DMU Transitions Article 26 Scholarship web page for more information, eligibility criteria and how to apply.



Apply for student funding: Applications for undergraduate student funding via Student Finance England normally opens in February or March. Apply early, putting your first choice of university, you can always change the course and university details at a later date. Check the following websites for more information:

TIP: When applying, give consent for your funding provider to share your information with us, so we can award you any DMU Scholarships and Bursaries that you might be eligible for. You might also need to apply separately for some of these funds.



Disability support: If you have a disability or learning difference, now is the time to contact DMU's Disability Advice and Support team to find out what support you may be able to access. DMU also provides a fund for students in financial hardship, called the DMU Support Fund, which can help with a disability/medical condition. You can’t apply to the Fund until you have started your course and are registered as a student, but you can familiarise yourself with the eligibility criteria in advance.

Apply for accommodation: This is normally when DMU Accommodation's bookings open for applicants holding firm offers. Find out more about accommodation options at DMU.

  • Check the smallprint for the rent payment schedule, to make sure you can afford it before you sign up to a legally-binding tenancy agreement. Once you have signed it, you are liable for the rent for the length of the tenancy.
  • Some rental companies require a deposit and the first rent instalment before you get your student funding.
  • When selecting a guarantor, they are committing to covering your rent if you can't afford to pay, so they need to make sure that they can afford to do this before they agree. 



Apply for a summer job: Now would be a great time to apply for a summer job to save some money for the start of term. Register with recruitment agencies in your area. In Leicester, you can sign up to Unitemps.

Deadline to apply for student funding: You need to apply for your student funding by the end of May to guarantee all of your funding being in place for the start of term. If you don't submit your application by the May deadline, you can still be assessed, but your first instalment may be delayed. If you are worried about it, contact us via email. Having savings prior to starting your course; or an interest-free student overdraft; or working part time while studying, can all help get you through any funding delays.


Create a budget: Now would be a great time to start putting your student budget together. The Which? Student Budget Calculator is a great tool to start your budgeting journey, it even pre-populates some of the figures based on how you answer questions and where you will be studying. There is also the Save the Student budgeting spreadsheet, which will do some of the calculations for you and track your spending each month.


Research student bank accounts: Now is a good time to look for a student bank account for the start of term. There are lots of accounts on offer, so do your research and choose the best account for you. You can only have one student account. Money Saving Expert produces an annual guide comparing what is available, with many offering discounts, railcards and other incentives. If you have applied through UCAS, you may need your UCAS status code to open a student bank account. Once your new student account is open, update your student funding details within your student funding account details, to receive your loan on time.

Results day: Update your details with your student funding provider if you change your course or university through Adjustment or Clearing. For those applying for funding from Student Finance England, please see their guidance for students going through Clearing.

Contents insurance: Before moving into your accommodation, it’s a good idea to get contents insurance to protect your personal possessions. Research your options and compare the best deals, try Endsleigh Insurance. Some halls of residence have contents insurance included, but you may need to pay a small premium for any specific items of value, so check what's included before you come to university. Alternatively. you might already be covered under your parents' conents insurance while you are away at university but check their policy details.

Is your student funding assessment complete? Check to see if your student funding assessment has been completed by the funding provider, they might require more information and evidence and you may not have realised they have contacted you about this. Also check that all your details (contact information, the course you are studying, your bank account details) are up-to-date.


blackbullion website dashboard

Be money smart

DMU have teamed up with financial education specialists Blackbullion.

Learn more