Article 26 Scholarship
Students seeking asylum in the UK are not able to apply for funding from the Student Loans Company and are charged international student fees. DMU offers eight Article 26 Scholarships for undergraduate students unable to access student funding.
Please note - the Article 26 Scholarship is only available to students looking to start an undergraduate level programme.
The Article 26 Scholarship consists of:
- A full fee waiver for the duration of the course
- plus, up to £3,500 contribution towards living costs per year (or £500 if you are in the care of your local authority)
- One Article 26 Scholarship recipient will also be eligible for free accommodation costs in halls of residence for three years. The recipient must be under the age of 25 on 1 September 2024 to receive this element.
The Article 26 Scholarship is open to those who do not have access to student finance and are:
- seeking asylum in the UK, or a dependent or partner of someone seeking asylum
- or who has been granted Discretionary / Limited Leave to Remain or some other form of temporary status
- and have applied to start a full-time undergraduate degree course at DMU starting in September 2024.
Please note that even if you are still waiting for an offer from DMU, you may submit an application.
Article 26 originated as a project of the Helena Kennedy Foundation.
How to apply
Please note that this form must be completed and submitted in one session. Some of the questions in Section 5 require longer answers, as they provide detailed information about your circumstances and your reasons for applying. You may wish to write out these answers in Word or another program first - you can then copy and paste your text into the answer field on the relevant page.
A signed reference on headed paper needs to be submitted with the application. A suitable reference could be from a tutor, employer or someone from a charitable organisation or local community group.
To view the questions before submitting your form, and for additional help in completing your application, please read our guidance notes.
Please contact us via email at firstname.lastname@example.org if you have any questions.
The deadline for applications is 5pm on Friday 3 May.
After the closing date, shortlisted candidates will be invited to interview (date TBC).
Find out more about support available for asylum-seeking students.
Article 26 Scholarship application form