Recently, we announced that DMU is working with the Government’s NHS Test and Trace by hosting on campus a pilot of a new type of test in the fight against Covid-19.
We are now pleased to be able to offer all our students free regular tests on campus, to detect Covid-19 in people who are showing no symptoms.
The aim of the pilot is to make a new kind of test – called a lateral flow test – available to large groups of people. By testing those with no symptoms - asymptomatic people – on a regular basis, the hope is that Covid cases are detected far earlier, preventing outbreaks.
Here’s what you need to know:
- Free tests available for all students
- Tests only for those with NO symptoms
- Part of NHS national pilot
- Tests must be booked in advance (see below)
- Visiting test centre for Covid test is in line with national lockdown regulations
- Filling in survey afterwards helps improve process as it expands nationally
- Aim is for all students and staff to be tested regularly (at least twice a week)
For full information about testing, including a thorough FAQ section, visit our webpages here.
This pilot is being run by NHS Test and Trace and DMU has been chosen as one of the first large organisations to pilot this testing method, meaning this is your chance to play a direct role in developing a project which could make a clear step forward in the fight against Covid-19.
Please note: Attending a test on campus does not constitute breaking the Government rules on lockdown which state that you can leave home for any medical reason, including to get a Covid-19 test.
Testing is taking place at a new testing centre operating inside The Watershed, on Upperton Road.
In order to get tested, you must book via MyDMU. You can book a slot between 9am and 4pm, Monday to Friday.
Booking a test is simple and quick, please follow these steps:
- Log in to MyDMU
- Click on the new ‘Covid Antigen Test’ tile
- Under ‘Select Location’, select De Montfort University
- You can then choose the date and time you would like to attend. You will be able to book up to seven days ahead
- You will be asked to enter your contact details and agree to the terms and conditions
- When your booking has been made successfully, it will be confirmed with an email and text message
You will receive reminders via email and text message 24 hours and 1 hour before your appointment.
After taking a test, please fill in this survey to share your feedback – it will help make the pilot better as it is scaled up.
The aim of this pilot is to make more testing available across the country, to create a faster test which can be used at scale. If successful, the effect of this could be to stop outbreaks of Covid-19 before they happen.
This is your chance to be part of what could be a real advance in the fight against the pandemic.
Posted on Monday 9th November 2020