Our climbing wall is 13 metres high, has 18 different routes of various grades and includes two TruBlue Auto-Belays. Sessions available include:
- Open climb: for anyone that has passed a competency test or completed the Stage 3 induction
- Instructor-led (1-6 participants): climb on the wall with one of our qualified instructors, no experience required
- Stage 1 induction: the first of a three stage induction process
- Stage 2/3 induction: the second and third stage of the induction process
- Under 16s (1-6 participants): under 16s can climb on the wall with one of our qualified instructors, no experience required
We are actively helping the university in reducing its carbon footprint by reducing the amount of printing we do, therefore timetables are only viewable online. View our current climbing wall timetable. Explanations of public sessions are explained below. Please ensure climb wall bookings are paid for 24 hours in advance of session.
Fees and charges
Climbing wall hire
- 1-6 people: £90 for 90-minute session, including kit hire and qualified instructor
- 7-12 people: £125 for 90-minute session including kit hire and two qualified instructors
Climbing wall inductions
- £25 for beginners' course
- £75 group induction (up to four people)
- £6.50 competency test (includes first 90-minute session)
Equipment hire is £1.50 and instructor-led sessions are £3.50 each.
How can I get started?
To use the climbing wall you will first need to complete a registration form (available at reception).
All non-instructor sessions will require users to have completed our competency test or beginners course (3 stage induction) to become registered climbers at our facility.
Beginners' course (Stage 1, 2 and 3 Induction)
The beginners' course will consist of a maximum of three 90-minute sessions which will take you through basic climbing and rope work. You will learn the practical side of climbing, such as tying the correct knots and how to safely belay a climber. You will also learn about checking your equipment and climbing dos and don'ts. Throughout the sessions you will also be putting your climbing skills to the test and practising on the wall, learning the basics and building confidence to get to the top! Minimum age 16 years.
Cost of the course
This session costs £25 per person, or £75 for a group of four people.
The competency test costs £6.50 and includes your first 90-minute climbing session. This is designed for people who are competent climbers and we will ask you to demonstrate:
- Putting on a harness
- Tying a figure of eight knot
- Tying into a harness
- Showing how to set up a belay device
- Demonstrate good belaying technique (will need to bring a partner)
- Go through climbing dos and don'ts
You must bring a partner who will do a short, easy climb while we observe you belaying them. The test should last about 15 minutes. Minimum age 16 years to participate.
If you have passed your competency test or completed our beginners course but don't have anyone to climb with, or you want to try out the wall to see if you enjoy climbing, instructor led sessions are for you.
You can book in on an instructor led session, where one of our qualified instructors will be taking the session, letting each participant climb one after the other for the 90 minute session. We also offer instructor led sessions for under 16s. Climbers must fit the harness securely to use.
Book a climbing wall party
We offer climbing wall parties for groups of up to 12 participants, ensuring each child gets looked after by our trained staff.
Climbing wall parties consist of 90 minutes climbing, with a further hour in the reception area for you to have a party (supplying your own food and drinks).
Climbers must fit the harness securely to use and must wear safety helmets at all times for the session.
If you are intrested in booking the climbing wall for a party then please complete our application form and email it to firstname.lastname@example.org and a member of our booking team will be in contact.
Please note all children's parties will be on a first come first served basis and no booking is confirmed until a member of our team has been in contact and payment in full has been made.
Climbing Wall form
Please note that that the online limbing wall form is indicative only – the form will be completed in person with the customer present.