DMU's 25 metre six-lane swimming pool is open to QEII members and non-members, irrespective of age or ability. Alongside the swimming pool is a sauna for users to relax in after their swim.
During the current facility guidelines, customers must now book in advance to use the swimming pool. This can be done via the app or by using our online booking system.
Please note that non-members can only book 24 hours in advance and spaces are limited. Members can book up to 6 days in advance. If you can no longer make your session, you need to cancel your slot to avoid being charged non-attendance fees.
View the latest timetable of activities for the QEII swimming pool
Key for timetables:
- Lane swim - Suitable for competent swimmers only, swimmers must be able to swim full lengths un-aided.
- Splash dance - Aqua class bookable at reception or online.
- Public swim - Open to swimmers of all ages and abilities.
- Family fun - Suitable for families, floats and toys are provided for the session.
- Parents and tots - Suitable for parent/guardians with young infants up to 5 years old, infants to be supervised on a 1-1 basis.
Lanes will be divided to Slow, Medium, and Fast. Please ensure you book the lane most appropriate for your abilities.
Predominantly breaststroke taking 45+ seconds per length
Swimming a variety of strokes taking 30-45 seconds per length
Swimming front crawl averaging under 30 seconds per length
- Please arrive no earlier than 5 minutes before your booked session.
- Changing rooms are now open so there is no need to arrive at the pool "beach ready".
- Lane direction and speed will be indicated on the lane signs at the end of each lane.
- Lane flow - you may be asked by the lifeguard to change lane when swimming, this is to assist in the flow of swimmers to ensure everyone enjoys their swim.
- Overtaking - to allow someone to overtake you, stop at the end of a lane whilst they pass.
- Resting - to rest ensure you always move to one side of the lane.
If you need any help or have a question, please ask the lifeguard. See full swimming pool terms.
The maximum number of children a responsible adult – 16 years old and above – may supervise is:
- 1 adult supervising 1 child up to the age of 4
- 1 adult supervising 2 children aged 5 – 8
- Chidlren aged 9 and up must be competent swimmers in order to be unsupervised
Sauna sessions can have up to 8 participants. Sauna sessions will be included when booking a lane swimming session or a public swimming session only.
A non-swimmer using the sauna may only use the pool during a public swim booking.
Please make sure you take a towel in with you to sit on.
Learning and training
Learn to Swim
From infants to adults, Start2swim offers great tuition for children aged 3 years through to adult encouraging confidence and safety in the water. All our classes run throughout the year including school holidays.
Our Parent and Baby classes start with babies from 4 months up to around 3 years old, accompanied in the pool by a parent/guardian. When the child is considered to have progressed and is tall enough they are encouraged to transfer to an independent class.
For 3 year olds and over, there are pool platforms to reduce the water depth and where required an additional assistant in the water to boost confidence.
Adults can enroll as complete beginners, or improvers if you want to develop your strokes. There are both daytime and evening courses.
Occasionally we can offer 1-2-1 tuition but this is only when water time and teachers are available.
The teachers for all our courses are fully qualified, enhanced DBS checked and lifeguard trained. Every class is lead by a Level 2 teacher aided by a qualified assistant. Many of our teachers are national standard competitive swimmers so correct strokes and breathing are taught right from the start.
For all enquiries, prices and more information please visit www.start2swim.co.uk.
Swimmers use their membership card to activate a wristband on the docking station, no buttons or calibration required, simply slip on a band and jump in the pool.
The swimmer returns their wristband to the docking station and their swim data is automatically uploaded to the website, ready to be viewed online.
Track how many lengths, calories burned, stroke type, stroke rate and much more with Swimtag - you can also view our monthly leaderboard.
Free for all leisure centre members. Ask a reception for a wristband.
For more information visit the swimtag website.