Visa guidance for international students
Please note: The information provided here is only general guidance. Requirements may vary from country to country and you must check with your local Visa Application Centre, British Embassy or High Commission for exact details of required documentation.
Attending your own graduation
If you are a visa national and your current Tier 4 Student Visa expires before your graduation date, you will need to leave the UK and apply for a Standard Visitor visa to come back to attend your graduation ceremony.
If you leave the UK after completing your course, even if your current Tier 4 Student visa is still valid, you will also need to apply for a General Visitor visa to come back to attend your graduation ceremony.
You may apply for a General Visitor visa online or by completing the VAF1A application form. It is helpful if you can provide evidence of the date of your ceremony. Invitations to attend the Graduation Ceremony are emailed to graduating students approximately 10 weeks before the date of each ceremony. More information about applying for a General Visitor visa is provided by the Home Office.
Inviting your guests to visit you to attend your Graduation Ceremony
If your guests need a visa to travel to the UK, they will need to apply for a General Visitor visa to visit you and attend your graduation ceremony in the UK.
Documents required by guests
- An invitation letter from you, addressed to the Entry Clearance Officer at the Embassy where your guest will apply. In this letter you will need to include:
- The full name and date of birth of the guests you wish to invite
- Their relationship to you (for example parent, friend, partner)
- The reason for their visit, i.e. to visit you for your graduation ceremony
- How long they want to stay in the UK including their proposed arrival and departure dates
- Where they intend to stay while in the UK. If they will be staying with you, you should state this and give your full address
- Your own immigration status in the UK, for example that you are a Tier 4 (General) student visa holder. It might be helpful to provide them with a copy of your visa to include in the application
- A copy of the email you were sent confirming your booking at your graduation ceremony
- A copy of your results notification indicating that you have completed your course (if available)
Please note the Embassy will NOT require a letter from DMU.
Your confirmation booking email will be sufficient.