Watch: John Song, Senior Lecturer in Psychology, talks about the benefits of studying Psychology at DMU.
Accredited by the British Psychological Society (BPS), this programme explores human behaviour using sound scientific methodology – observation, measurement, and testing – to understand how and why people function in the way they do. Focuses on both psychology and education studies, you will also be introduced to the history of formal education in the UK and explore key contemporary issues and debates concerning social class, race and ethnicity, and social justice in education.
Gaining a professionally accredited psychology degree is an essential first step to a career as a psychologist or to progress to postgraduate study. Choosing this programme will help to equip you with key transferable skills including critical thinking and communication, as well as competencies closely linked with the sector, such as scientific research methods, data analysis and data presentation skills.
Our graduates have gone on to pursue a diverse range of careers where an understanding of societal issues is key – such as in criminal justice, education, social work, research, advertising, human resources and healthcare.
On the course you’ll study core areas of psychology including biological, cognitive, developmental and social psychology, as well as covering personality and intelligence, research methods, and historical perspectives. You’ll also have the opportunity to explore a range of perspectives and debates concerning contemporary cultural change and how these impact education and learning. Our final year options allow you to tailor your study to specific career pathways.
- Our course is accredited by the BPS, which ensures your learning is informed by industry professionals and remains relevant to the latest developments and challenges within the sector.
- Benefit from dedicated computer laboratories with the latest analysis software, individual research cubicles, interview rooms, and an observation suite, all supported by our psychology technician teams.
- The expertise of our staff spans across four main research clusters, which are Health Psychology, Cognition and Neuroscience, Psychology and Technology, and Self and Identity.
- Graduates from this course will be able to gain the skills and competencies required for a range of careers across many different sectors, including healthcare, education consultancy, research, social work, marketing, the police service, teaching and human resources.
- Enrich your studies with an international experience through our DMU Global programme. Students have previously explored the history of mental health and neuropsychology in Paris and cross-cultural factors within psychology in Kuala Lumpur. Our Education Studies students have also taught English to schoolchildren in Taiwan, considered inequality and segregation in New York, and supported refugees in Berlin.
- Tailor your learning with optional modules that enable you to pursue your individual passions or career aspirations be it counselling psychology, work psychology, cyberpsychology plus many more.
At DMU, we are committed to helping our graduates enhance their careers and personal development through further study.
DMU Sports Scholarship
Find out more about the DMU Sports Scholarships worth up to £6,000.
More courses like this
Psychology with Criminology
Psychology with Health and Wellbeing in Society