Disability provision

If you have a disability (for example a medical condition, autism, a mental health condition, allergies etc) please contact our Disability Advice and Support (DAS) team as soon as possible to discuss support for your condition.

They can also make referrals to our Accommodation Office to help you find somewhere to live that is suitable for your needs.

If the nature of your condition means special adaptations are not necessary, you will be able to book your room online using our online booking system.

Examples of things you can self-select include:

  • Being on a particular floor
  • Having an en-suite
  • Being a specific distance from campus
  • Having a fridge in your room for medical purposes (when you book you will have an option to request one – subject to receipt of sufficient medical evidence)

We recommend you carefully consider which hall of residence will best suit your needs before booking. If you have any questions about the suitability of a hall or room, contact our accommodation team for guidance.

If you need additional equipment in your accommodation, we will ask you to provide medical evidence. Contact DAS well in advance of your arrival about this as some items need to be ordered in advance.

N.B. Our Accommodation Office will only provide equipment considered to be a reasonable adjustment and where there is adequate supporting medical evidence. In some cases, you could be required to apply for items through other means such as the Disabled Student’s Allowance.

Accessible rooms

We offer several rooms that have been specially adapted for either a wheelchair user or a student with mobility difficulties. We have a range of adaptations to meet a range of needs ranging from en-suite or adapted communal wet-rooms, lowered surfaces and appliances, and specialist-equipment such as hoists and shower-chairs.

Hearing-impaired students

You can request a room adapted with a hearing package, which includes a flashing fire alarm and a rumble pillow.

Accommodation for personal carers

If you have a condition that requires daily or 24-hour personal care, we can provide a room for your personal carer under the same terms and conditions as other residents.

You will need to ensure the cost of the carer’s room can be met. Home fee-paying students may be able to reclaim the cost from the social services department in their home area or the local authority.

Non first-year students

You are eligible to book university-sourced halls of residence for your subsequent years at DMU if your disability means you would be disadvantaged if you could not. Any offers are subject to suitable accommodation being available. The booking payment is required for each booking, including those made in subsequent years.

Registered students who meet the above criteria and are currently living in halls of residence will automatically be invited to rebook accommodation from January.

If you feel you meet the above criteria but are not currently living in halls or did not receive the email, you will need to provide us with medical evidence stating how you meet the relevant criteria so that we can assess your application to live in halls.