Careers Team International
International students who come to DMU are all offered expert advice and support by our dedicated Careers Team. We are here to ensure students maximise their potential and can help you gain exposure to the UK employment market.
We have partnerships with some of the biggest and best local and national organisations in the UK, to create unique opportunities which will help develop your career and take you further. Some of the companies where we have supported international students to find work include Rolls-Royce, Siemens, Bosch, Jaguar Land Rover, 3T Logistics, McAfee and Leicester City Football Club.
There are many ways in which the Careers Team can help international students;
- Access to our mentoring scheme and Careers Coaches
- Find paid part-time work via our on-campus agency, Unitemps
- Explore business ideas and self-employment with our Enterprise team
- Short-term professional experiences and insight visits
- Access our Frontrunners scheme, for paid on-campus part-time roles
- Speak to employers at Careers and Placements Fairs on campus
- Support from our dedicated faculty Placement teams for year-in-industry placements, for students on eligible courses
It was really interesting to learn about her first-hand experiences and her advice will help me with my own application. This was a chance to see real world applications of what I am learning about on my course. It was a fantastic day and I would encourage every DMU student to take advantage of opportunities to visit and network with employers.
Support for postgraduate students
As an international postgraduate student, you may be interested in gaining exposure to the UK employment market or undertaking a placement while you study. Our Careers Team is here to support you with flexible and personalised careers advice that is tailored to you.
How we can help
We have partnerships with some of the biggest and best local and national organisations in the UK, to create unique opportunities which will help build your career. Some of the companies where we have supported international postgraduates to find work include Rolls-Royce, Siemens, Bosch, Jaguar Land Rover, 3T Logistics, McAfee and Leicester City Football Club.
We also offer flexible and personalised career support tailored to your as you gain experience and build your networks. As an international postgraduate student, you can:
- Speak to UK and multinational employers at careers and placements fairs on campus.
- Access our mentoring scheme and careers coaches.
- Find paid part-time work via our on-campus agency, Unitemps.
- Explore business ideas and self-employment with our Enterprise team.
- Go on short-term professional experiences and insight visits.
- Access our Frontrunners scheme for paid, on-campus internships doing graduate level work.
- Get support from our dedicated faculty placement teams for year-in-industry placements (for students on eligible courses that include a sandwich placement).
My technical and communication skills have been developed very fast since the first month working with the team; and I feel more confident when talking to colleagues.
Working in the UK labour market
Many of our international postgraduates are looking for work experience in the UK labour market. We are here to support you in this through a variety of ways, including:
- Dedicated events and workshops for international students on the UK labour market.
- Access to resources and job websites specifically for International Students. This includes Student Circus, a jobs board of UK roles offering Skilled Worker sponsorship, and GoinGlobal, a jobs and advice board for 42 different countries.
- General advice and support for working on your student visa and moving onto the graduate route visa after graduation.
- A range of opportunities, from volunteering to placements to work projects, to help you understand the UK labour market.
I managed to develop my critical thinking and complex problem-solving skills by doing critical special lapping jobs in the company. Furthermore, learning from 30 to 50 years of experienced people develops these skills. These skills will be useful in doing critical thinking and writing in assignments or thesis papers in our master's degree. I definitely, recommend it to others.
As a postgraduate international student, you will gain access to not only our network of employer contacts, but also our alumni. Access to our DMU alumni means you can receive access to mentoring, careers events, and wider professional networks. Our international alumni network is vast, generous, and well connected, with members based around the globe. This means that, whether you wish to stay in the UK or return to your home country once you graduate, our alumni networks will be there for you. When you become an alumni, you will alsao receive lifelong support from the DMU Careers Team service.
Current student? Sign up for events and appointments through MyGateway.
Find out more