Skip to content

Visa Advice

The UK has strict immigration laws. Overseas visitors and students must explain the reasons for their visit and may have to provide supporting evidence. Most students from outside the EU will need to apply for a visa to gain entry to the UK. Find out if you need a visa.

If you do need a visa to study in the UK, you will need to apply to the UK immigration authorities in your country. Find your nearest visa application centre.

Please do not book any non-refundable travel arrangements until you have obtained a visa.

What type of visa do you need?

Short-Term Study Visa

Suitable for international students studying a short course of up to six months, or an English language programme of up to 11 months. This visa would also be suitable for international exchange students.

Tier 4 Visa

Suitable for international students studying a full-time undergraduate or postgraduate taught programme lasting longer than six months.

Your student visa guide

Studying abroad is a life-changing opportunity and we want to make sure our international students can make the most of their time at DMU without having to worry about visa or immigration issues.

We have written two guides to give you information and advice about coming to the UK to study at DMU.

You can also find more information about student visas by going to our frequently asked questions page.

Biometric Identity Document 

Changes to the way visas are issued to students

When you apply for your visa from outside the UK for a course of more than 6 months, you will no longer be issued with a visa to cover the length of your course in your passport. Instead, you will be issued with a travel vignette that will allow you to enter the UK. A Biometric Residence Permit (BRP) will be produced for you in the UK – you will need to collect the BRP within 10 days of arriving in the UK (the university will usually require you to have collected your BRP and to hold a copy of it on our files before you are able to enrol).

How your visa will be issued

When your tier 4 visa application is approved you will first be provided with a sticker in your passport that will allow you to travel to the UK – this will only be valid for 30 days. Once you arrive in the UK you will need to collect your BRP card that will be valid for the full length of your stay in the UK. You must collect this within 10 days of arriving in the UK. The university will not normally allow you to enrol until you have collected your BRP.

Your BRP may be collected from De Montfort University, providing you follow the instructions within this document.

Making sure your visa is sent to De Montfort University for you to collect

Your BRP will be sent to De Montfort University for you to collect when you arrive in the UK – in order for this to happen you must enter the following code in the Alternative Location section of the ‘Biometric Residence Permit Collection’ part of your visa application: 2HE487

An example of the screen you will need to enter the code is below. 


When you reach this screen:

  • In 'Alternative Location', enter '2HE487', click find
  • Your Assigned collection location should then be displayed as:

De Montfort University
c/o Immigration Compliance
Gateway House 1.78
The Gateway

  • Click confirm

This will mean your BRP is delivered to De Montfort University for your collection when you arrive.

If you enter a post code in the 'Alternative Location' field rather than the code given above, your BRP may be delivered to a Post Office in Leicester for collection – we strongly recommend you select De Montfort University as your collection location to ensure that your enrolment on your course is not delayed. If you have entered the post code and selected a Post Office as your assigned collection location, please contact for assistance as soon as possible. 

Collecting your BRP from the university

When you collect your BRP from the university you will need to bring your passport containing your travel vignette. When you collect your BRP the university will need to take a copy of your BRP and passport documents for our records. Any students for who the university does not have a copy of their BRP and passport will not be able to enrol on the course. Further information on how to collect your BRP and enrolment will be sent before the start of your course.

If you have any queries or problems please contact