Skip to content

Your DMU Future – Student and applicant FAQs



Jump to: 

Return to university 2021
Exams guidance

Safety-net policy
Your teaching and learning
Your life on campus
Postgraduate research students

Return to university 2021

  1. When can I return to my university and term-time accommodation?

    The Government will now allow all remaining students to return to campuses and their term-time accommodation from Monday 17 May.

    As the situation varies in each of your faculties and on each of your courses, and as indeed many students are already back on campus, please keep a look out for more specific updates via your faculty communications channels (including Blackboard).

  2. Now that I can return to campus, what is happening with exams?

    At DMU your existing exams and assessments schedule will not change as a result of the new guidance – they will still remain online as previously communicated.

    Please see below for further FAQs regarding exam processes this year. 

  3. Do I have to take a test when I return to university?

    If you are returning to campus from 17 May you must undertake three supervised Covid-19 lateral flow tests at an on-campus asymptomatic testing site – the first immediately upon your return and then again three/four days and six/eight days later. Students will then need to continue to get tested twice weekly thereafter throughout the summer term. Before any students start their journeys to their term-time accommodation, the Government is also encouraging them to take a test either through home or community testing at least one day before they travel back.

    Testing is still available to book via MyDMU at The Watershed in Upperton Road. To make it easier for students to access lateral flow testing, we are running pop-up testing sites on campus at key times in the Eric Wood Learning Zone and the Portland Building. Students will also soon be able to collect home test kits from our testing site, and more details will follow. We will be increasing our signage across campus to remind students of the need for testing and our Covid marshals will also be on hand to offer support and answer any questions on testing.

    If you have had a positive coronavirus test in the last 90 days through NHS Test and Trace and been recorded as a positive case on the national system, you do not need to be tested again via the lateral flow testing system within that period if you are asymptomatic. This is because you are likely to have developed some immunity. You are still required to self-isolate if you are identified as a close contact of a positive case, even if this is within the 90-day window.

  4. I’m travelling from overseas - what should I do?

    Students travelling from overseas whose courses can now return should carefully check the additional entry requirements and restrictions that have been introduced before travelling to the UK, including checking whether the country you are travelling from is on the UK’s red list and whether you will be required to quarantine in a managed quarantine hotel for 10 days. Students arriving from countries not on the red list should follow the guidance available.

    New international students are able to commence a course by distance learning from outside the UK without a visa, and do not require sponsorship under the Student route while they are studying outside the UK. You should be aware that visa concessions allow for the ongoing provision of online learning for the duration of academic year 2020-21.

    You should be aware that all inbound travellers to the UK (including international and domestic students) will have to take a Covid-19 test up to three days before departure and provide evidence of a negative result before you travel. You could face a fine of £500 if you can't provide proof of a negative test. All international arrivals will be required to complete a passenger locator form on arrival. 

    You should also be aware that everyone must book a travel test package before travelling to the UK – this costs £210. You must take a Covid-19 test on or before day two after you arrive for variant surveillance and a test on or after day 8 to check that you do not have Covid-19. This can be booked using the  travel package booking portal. This will include Covid-19 tests to be taken on or before day two and on or after day eight of quarantine. Testing provided by DMU will not cover this. Students must pre-book the travel test package. If they do not take the day two and day eight tests, they could face a fine of £2,000

    If you have travelled from or through a red list country 10 days before arrival, you must quarantine in a managed quarantine hotel unless you are exempt. This applies to students who are British or Irish nationals, or third country nationals with residence rights in the UK. You must pre-book your quarantine hotel in advance, or you could face a fine of up to £4,000. If you have not travelled from or through a red list country, you must quarantine in your own accommodation for 10 days

    It is vital that international students arriving in the UK have followed the correct arrival procedure. Failure to do so may result in possible delays or fines. In some instances, students may be denied entry at the border. 

    Be aware that travel advice may change, so regularly check all relevant guidance pages for the latest updates prior to travelling.

    Students who have arrived from overseas and have completed a period of quarantine – either in a hotel or in their own accommodation - are not expected to be tested when they return to campus. Students should, however, follow instructions on ongoing asymptomatic testing at DMU. You can get regular lateral flow tests  at our testing centre at The Watershed in Upperton Road.

  5. Which campus facilities and buildings are open?

    Now that all students are able to be back on campus from 17 May, DMU will be opening up more university buildings and facilities, including the recently completed major extension to the Hugh Aston Building, The Yard. Please visit the campus facilities webpage for the latest information on building opening dates and times.

    The Kimberlin Library and Eric Wood Learning Zone are open for individual (not group) study. For safety, please keep your distance from others when walking through and studying in both areas. Eating is also currently not permitted in the Library spaces. However, you can take a break and refuel in the Food Village, which is open weekdays between 8am and 4pm for both takeaways and socially distanced eating in.

    The QEII Leisure Centre is also now open. This means students can gain access to the swimming pool and gym in the leisure centre. Find out more on the QEII web page.

General information on remote examinations

  1. How will I know if I need to take a remote exam?

    Your Module Leader will tell you via Blackboard if you need to take any remote exams. You'll also have scheduled dates for your exams.

  2. Where can I see the exam schedule?

    Check here for any exams that you are due to be sitting at the upcoming exam periods. Please remember to check this periodically as occasionally it is necessary to change your exam date.

    Your Blackboard module shells (or other places mentioned by Module Leaders) will contain details of assessments you must take. Also keep a regular check on your DMU email for the latest information. 

    Please ensure that you have read the specific instructions and guidance from each Module Leader/Tutor. If you have any questions, contact your Module Leader/Tutor before the examination day.

  3. How do I find out if an exam is now replaced with an alternative assessment?

    In some modules, exams are now replaced with alternative assessments. Please check all the exam information on Blackboard so you're aware of all assessment methods. For any questions, please contact your Module Leader(s) or Programme Leader as soon as possible
  4. Where should I take my remote exams?

    We expect you to take your remote exam in your home environment. If you feel this is not possible, contact your Student Advice Centre by no later than 16 April to discuss your concerns.

    Before your examination date, decide where you are going to be when you take the exam. You should think about: 

    • Is this a quiet space with minimal disturbances? 
    • Will you have everything you need? 
    • Does this space have an appropriate and reliable internet connection?
    • If there's a problem on the day of the exam, do you know who to contact?
  5. What if I need to travel somewhere to take a remote exam?

    If you need to travel to the place where you intend to take the exam, check local details about whether travel is permitted under current Covid-19 restrictions.

    If travel is allowed, allow suitable time to make the journey and settle yourself ready to start the examination. Think about this arrangement as being the same as a formal on-campus examination.

  6. What guidelines do I need to follow if I’m allowed to take an exam on campus?

    • Students who haven’t booked a space with their Student Advice Centre will not be permitted to take their remote exam on campus.
    • We will book you into a specific time window; either 8am-12.30pm or 1.30-6pm
    • You must leave the space at the end of the booked period (no exceptions)
    • We will book you into a specific room
    • You must wear a face covering at all times (unless exempt)
    • No hot food is permitted, or any food or drink that could negatively impact those around you
    • If you bring your own computer to the remote exam, you are responsible for making sure it's charged and suitable for the examination
    • You must follow the room monitors’ instructions, including scanning Safe Trace. 
  7. How do I access the remote exams?

    You access your remote (i.e. online) exams through the Blackboard Virtual Learning Environment.
  8. I can’t access Blackboard – what should I do?

    If you don't have access to Blackboard, contact ITMS Service Desk as soon as possible to resolve the matter. Email or phone on +44 (0) 116 250 6050, or 0116 250 6050 if you are in the UK. The ITMS Service Desk will be available from 8am-6pm during exam working weeks. 

    An Out of Hours IT Service Desk operates 24 hours a day, seven days per week through the phone numbers above. It can resolve limited IT issues, including resetting passwords. This does not include resolving Blackboard or PC issues outside of the examination window.

  9. When can I start to take my remote exams?

    If you don't have access to Blackboard, contact ITMS Service Desk as soon as possible to resolve the matter. Email or phone on +44 (0) 116 250 6050, or 0116 250 6050 if you are in the UK. The ITMS Service Desk will be available from 8am-6pm during exam working weeks. 

    An Out of Hours IT Service Desk operates 24 hours a day, seven days per week through the phone numbers above. It can resolve limited IT issues, including resetting passwords. This does not include resolving Blackboard or PC issues outside of the examination window.

    Access to start remote exams will be available for a set period of time. We call this the ‘Examination Window’. The Examination Window is the period when you can start an exam. 

    Your module Blackboard shell will have the link to the remote exam. 

    The exam will be available on the scheduled day and only during the Examination Window.

    Examination Windows will be 8am-6pm UK time on the date scheduled. 

    Please note that the Examination Window does not mean the length of time available to complete your exam. We call this the Examination Completion Period.

  10. How long do I have to complete a remote exam?

    You must complete remote exams within a set duration of time. We call this the Examination Completion Period. You must ensure you watch the time and submit your essay before your Completion Period ends as otherwise your exam will be considered not to be submitted.

    If you are entitled to extra time (Individual Exam Arrangements), this will be automatically added to your Examination Completion Period. 

    Your Module Leader/Tutor will give details about the Examination Completion Period in your module Blackboard shell. Please see your module-specific information so you understand how your examination will work.

    Make sure you complete and submit your exam by 6pm UK time. This means that you must begin your exam early enough to allow this. 

    For example: 

    • If your exam is two hours long, begin no later than 4pm UK time
    • If it's three hours long then no later than 3pm UK time, and so on. 


    Please be aware that IT and Module Leader/Tutor support is not available after 6pm UK time.

    The Examination Completion Period begins when you begin your exam. In all cases, it ends when the duration of the exam has passed. 

    For example: if your exam is two hours long and you begin at 10am UK time, the clock will stop at noon UK time. You must ensure you have submitted the exam within this duration.

  11. Are remote exams regulated to make sure the work is original?

    By submitting your examination, you are confirming that: 

    For more information, see Chapter 4 of the General Regulations and Procedures Affecting Students 2020-21. 

    Please note: 

    • Full disciplinary regulations apply to any cheating behaviour. This includes possible referral to an Academic Offences Panel, which has the authority to dismiss you from the university.
    • A sample of exam submissions will be subject to similarity testing. This may include running it through Turnitin software.

    If your exam paper is 'open book', you will have access to sources of factual information. The scope and nature of the sources you may use will be in the examination rubric, including the use of your own notes. 

    Please remember that the following actions are against academic regulations: 

    • Cutting and pasting information from an internet source, or; 
    • Reproducing text word-for-word without referencing (also known as citation). 

    You should only submit work using your own words with a reference to the sources that influenced your thinking. 

    It may not be a good use of time within the examination window to try to access such sources. Instead, we recommend that you: 

    • Access and prepare any material you might need before the exam date, and; 
    • Focus on answering the examination questions within the examination window.

    DMU will use standard university methods to ensure that the remote exam assessment process has been conducted fairly and under agreed processes and procedures. These include moderation, Turnitin software, and external examiner scrutiny. Please see the DMU Bad academic practice webpage to find out more.

  12. Why is DMU running exams this way for summer 2021?

    Whereas in spring 2020 we had to make the move to online exams very suddenly with no time to prepare, the upcoming exam period balances the need for flexibility with the requirement that exams are conducted rigorously and fairly. The extended access window of 8:00am-6:00pm UK time recognises that not every student is able to begin their online exam at the same time for a variety of reasons, for example, caring responsibilities. DMU has been planning for an online exam period since November and online exams have been designed to be able to be completed within a set period of time, as in any exam period.
  13. Were students consulted about the plans for summer examinations?

    Yes. A full student consultation was undertaken in collaboration with De Montfort Students’ Union in October. As part of this consultation we presented students with the opportunity to share their opinions on how they wanted examinations to run and the vast majority agreed that DMU should plan for an online exam period.
  14. Do I need to submit my exams through Turnitin?

    No, in most cases you don’t. All your exams will be conducted remotely/online through our Blackboard Virtual Learning Environment (VLE). There are a limited number of modules where Turnitin will also be used; please consult your ML.
  15. Can I request to take my exams on campus rather than at home?

    We expect all students to take their remote exam in their home environment. However, if you feel this is not possible, you must contact your Student Advice Centre by no later than 16 April. Some students may then be permitted to take their remote examination in a designated on-campus space (non-invigilated).

Safety-net policy

  1. Why is DMU introducing a new safety-net policy and how does it work?

    In response to the ongoing impact of the extended Covid-19 lockdown on your learning and teaching, we’ve announced our new ‘safety-net’ policy.

    DMU is committed to helping you reach your academic potential and protecting the academic standards, rigour and lasting quality of your learning outcomes and your eventual degree. The experiences of the last academic year meant we had already built in adjustments to modes of teaching, exams and assessments for this academic year’s flexible learning and teaching. However, the latest national lockdown has brought new personal and academic challenges.

    Therefore, we’ve created a safety-net policy that considers your individual circumstances. The policy comes into effect immediately and supports students who have experienced a mix of on-campus and online learning while managing the challenges of extended lockdown.

    UG students bite size regulations overview
    PG students bite size regulations overview

  2. Can I use the safety-net policy to get an extension on my assessment deadlines?

    Should you need more time to complete an assessment due to lockdown-related disruption, you can request an extension by completing an ‘extension to coursework’ application form and submitting it to your module leader for approval before the original deadline. You may be granted up to 14 extra calendar days.

    If your reason is Covid-related (for example if you contracted Covid-19, are isolating, shielding, have key-worker status or caring duties, or are unable to access specialist spaces), there is no need for you to provide evidence of this.

    Read the full safety-net policy.

  3. How does the safety-net policy affect regulations for assessments submitted late?

    For all deadlines from 11 February onwards, the normal penalty for late submission will not be applied for submissions up to five calendar days late where IT, personal or academic issues associated with lockdown are the reason. This should be agreed and recorded by the module leader. In all other cases, the standard regulations and penalties apply.

    Read the full safety-net policy.

  4. How does the safety-net policy affect module reassessments? I.e., Reassessment of failure

    Normally, where you have been reassessed in one or more assessment tasks within a module, the mark for the overall module would be capped at the pass mark. However, in the 2020-21 academic year, reassessments will be treated as a first attempt and the module mark(s) will not be capped. This regulation applies only to reassessments granted in the course of the 2020/21 academic year and only where the first attempt at the assessment has been taken.

    If you fail as a result of non-submission, the standard regulations will apply and at reassessment the module will be capped at the pass mark.

    If you fail the reassessment, you will be given a further opportunity for reassessment, if you have opportunities still available, but the normal reassessment regulations will then apply and the overall module will be capped at the pass mark.

    Read the full safety-net policy.

    The safety-net policy should be read alongside the Academic regulations 2020-21:

    Safety-net student scenarios table

  5. Will the number of reassessment attempts I’m allowed be affected by the safety-net policy?

    No. You will have the usual volume of reassessment credits as outlined in the academic regulations for taught programmes.
  6. If I haven’t submitted work for all assessment components in a module at the first attempt, will I be eligible for an uncapped reassessment?

    No, you must have attempted all assessments in a module in order to be eligible for an uncapped reassessment.
  7. If I have been compensated for a module failure (having achieved a mark between 30-39%) am I eligible for an uncapped reassessment in the module?

    If you have no module failure below 30%, have reassessment opportunities available and are not at your expected point of graduation, you may be reassessed in a compensated module. If you have submitted work for all assessment components of the module at the first attempt, the module mark will not be capped on reassessment.
  8. How does the safety-net policy affect progression and degree outcomes?

    Students studying at level 5 in 2020/21 will have 30 credits’ worth of module marks discounted from the classification algorithm rather than 15. This will mean that the final award, whenever made, will be calculated on the best 90 credits at level 5 and best 105 credits at level 6. This applies only to students undertaking level 5 for the first time in 2020/21 and not to those undertaking level 5 reassessments in the current year.

    Students studying at level 5 or level 6 on Integrated Master’s programmes in 2020/21 will have an additional 15 credits discounted. This means that the final award, whenever made, will be calculated on the best 210 credits at level 5 and level 6, and the best 105 credits at level 7.

    For this academic year only, in calculating your degree classification we will choose your best outcome from either the current weighting of 3:1 in favour of Level 6 or a weighting 2:1 in favour of Level 6. For students on Integrated Master’s, this will apply to your Level 7 outcomes.

    Read the full safety-net policy.

  9. I am a part-time student currently studying the first year of level 5. Will I be eligible to have the additional 15 level 5 credits discounted in my classification algorithm?

    No. The safety-net policy was introduced in response to the additional disruptions brought about by the latest lockdown. As you will be studying half of the level next academic year, it is anticipated that this will mitigate the impact on your level 5 performance.
  10. I am a part-time student currently studying the first year of level 6. Will the best outcome of the dual classification still be awarded (weighting level 6 either 3:1 or 2:1)?

    No. The safety-net policy was introduced in response to the additional disruptions brought about by the latest lockdown. As you will be studying half of the level next academic year, it is anticipated that this will mitigate the impact on your level 6 performance.
  11. I am currently repeating a level of study. Will the safety-net policy apply to me?

    Yes, the safety-net policy will be applicable as appropriate to the level of study you are currently undertaking.
  12. I have experienced circumstances beyond my control, can I use the safety-net policy to defer assessments?

    We have committed to consider all assessment-deferral requests from students on their own merits.

    You will need to send a deferral request to your faculty student advice centre. Third-party evidence will not be needed; however, we strongly recommend that you consult the student advice centre to discuss your circumstances before making a deferral request.

    If granted, you will be expected to take your assessments at the next available opportunity. If this is not possible for Covid-related reasons, you should make another deferral request.

    Read the full safety-net policy.

  13. My course is regulated by Professional, Statutory and Regulatory Bodies (PSRBs) – will the safety-net policy apply?

    Some of these regulations might not be applicable for programmes regulated by PSRBs. We are still consulting with PSRBs and will update on this as soon as we can. Your faculty, particularly your faculty student advice centre or programme leader, will be able to advise you.

    Read the full safety-net policy.

  14. Where can I get support or advice about my work?

    We know how much hard work you’ve put in and we encourage you to strive to achieve your best results despite the circumstances. If you need more support, the faculty student advice centres (SACs) and your programme and module leaders are available to help if you have any queries or concerns.
  15. Why haven’t you used last year’s No-detriment policy this year?

    The situation is very different to last year when we first announced a no-detriment policy and brings new complexities and considerations to deal with. For example, there will be students who have now had two academic years impacted, others may not have completed enough assessments to enable a no-detriment policy such as last year’s to be applied. We also need to mitigate any potential for unfair grade inflation. We want to protect the academic standards and rigour of your learning outcomes and your eventual degree, so that you can rely on the lasting quality of your award. We had also already built in adjustments to the modes of teaching, exams and assessments for this academic year’s flexible learning and teaching. We are taking into account the individual circumstances of each student rather than a one-size fits all approach.
  16. How can I learn about what adjustments had already been made?

    Many aspects of mitigation have been embedded in courses as a matter of routine as we prepared for and have progressed throughout the academic year. Across our four faculties, some work has already happened in relation to this and in response to student feedback. You can also contact your module leader or Associate Dean Academic for more examples of adjustments and wider changes to teaching, exams and assessments.
  17. Will extensions to assessment deadlines apply to exams and time-constrained assessments?

    Extensions to assessment deadlines do not apply to exams and time-constrained assessments. If you feel unable to complete the exam at the time indicated, you should make an application for a deferral.
  18. If I don’t submit any work at the first attempt will I be eligible for an uncapped reassessment?

    No, only students who have attempted the assessment and failed will be eligible for an uncapped reassessment.
  19. If I fail an assessment due to an academic offence will I be eligible for an uncapped reassessment?

    No, reassessments following an academic offence will be capped in line with the standard regulations.
  20. I have passed my module but am not happy with the marks for my assessments. Can I have an uncapped reassessment?

    No. If you have passed the module you are not able to have a reassessment. If you have concerns or are experiencing difficulties in completing your assessments, you could consider applying for an extension to a coursework deadline or a deferral. There are people you can speak to in your faculty who can support and advise you on making this decision prior to the assessment submission date. These include staff at the student advice centre, your module leader, personal tutor or the faculty’s Associate Professor (Student Experience). The Safety Net Policy has been developed to provide mitigations where the extended lockdown has had a drastic impact on student performance. Where a student has achieved a pass mark, even one that they find disappointing, the Safety Net Policy is not an appropriate fall-back option. It is never the case that a student can retake an assessment if they feel the mark is lower than they expected, even though they have passed. In order to maintain rigorous academic standards and protect the value of your degrees, we cannot relax this element in the Safety Net Policy.

Your teaching and learning

  1. What will my teaching and learning experience be like for the next academic year?

    We have been working hard to look at what your teaching experience will be like for the new academic year and to create flexibility in that offer should there be any changes in the Government’s Covid-19 restrictions at any point during the academic year.

    Our intention is that this flexibility will allow us to make available, as part of our overall teaching offer, face-to-face learning experiences that would still comply with any changing safety restrictions.

    Innovations in teaching events, online activities, other learning materials and experiences have also been developed based on what has worked well for students this year and from student feedback. We are delighted to be able to offer you an experience which will adopt the positive elements of both face-to-face and online teaching, based on our learnings of the last 15 months, but, importantly, can quickly adapt if government stipulations alter at any point during the academic year.

  2. Will I receive some face-to-face teaching for the next academic year?

    Our learning model for the 2021/22 academic year will see the re-introduction of face-to-face teaching for smaller groups, complemented with convenient online materials which can be accessed as and when you desire.
  3. What happens if government guidelines change due to the Covid-19 pandemic?

    Our commitment to providing face-to-face teaching will remain even if the Government decides that some social distancing will need to continue come September, or be reintroduced during your studies.

    In that instance, we intend to still have face-to-face teaching time but would be making some minor tweaks to delivery to create an environment that, with the co-operation of our students, will be as safe as possible and in line with government restrictions.

  4. I’m worried I don’t have all of the IT software to study effectively, how will you support me?

    We have reviewed our teaching to consider the IT requirements that are necessary for students to successfully complete their studies. We have expanded the provision of software that we provide to students and developed technical solutions, such as remote access to laboratories. We recognise that some students may have difficulties in accessing an appropriate computing device to enable them to complete their studies. We have worked with colleagues in student support to identify those students with greatest need, and where necessary will work to provide students with access to computing resources.
  5. I’m struggling financially as a result of the pandemic. What help may be available?

    Universities Minister Michelle Donelan MP wrote directly to all students. The Minister’s letter notes the provision of additional funding to support students’ needs, and as soon as this is confirmed we will share more information on how and when this will be administered.

    If you require assistance for non-Covid related hardship you can still apply to our DMU Support Fund. You can find out more information on what level of support you may be eligible for by visiting the Support Fund page.

  6. As lots of my learning is online, why do I have to pay full tuition fees?

    We know that university is a significant investment in your future and for you personally, so we work extremely hard to ensure we offer value for money in all that we do.

    We have been determined to ensure that, while observing the national restrictions required by the Government to fight the Covid-19 pandemic and following government guidance, we are still offering students the teaching they require to provide the opportunity to achieve learning outcomes and progress in their studies.

    Central to our planning are two important principles: firstly, the health and safety of our staff and students is paramount, and secondly, a strong commitment to ensuring that the teaching, learning and support we offer is broadly equivalent to our usual offering, so that our students are able to receive high-quality education.

    Through a combination of pre-recorded online lectures, live online teaching, and on-campus teaching where this is possible (considering social distancing and lockdown requirements), all students still have a full portfolio of teaching. We have worked to make sure that students have as much access as possible to the expertise of our highly-skilled academic staff and technicians, within the government restrictions.

    This has involved the hard and dedicated work of our lecturers and support staff – including librarians, student advisers, welfare officers, ITMS, security, estates management, lab technicians, student recruitment officers, international student support and many more.

    We’re also working hard to ensure all our students have the opportunity to access a wide range of specialist resources and subject-specific software, collaborative tools and digital platforms, student support around careers and placements, health and wellbeing, finance and library and learning resources. We have invested in additional resources, including extra electronic databases, LinkedIn Learning provision and writing support via Studiosity. We have also significantly increased the number of computers and other IT equipment that we have available to students, including those in hardship.

    We have also invested heavily in making sure our campus is as safe as possible for the thousands who have returned to campus from 5 January.

    Our central priority is to ensure that the highest-possible quality of the student experience we can offer is made available to all students whatever wider restrictions are in place, and to give students value for the fees that they pay.

    On this basis, all tuition fees will be as advertised on our website.

    We, of course, continue to support the work of Universities UK, the representative organisation for universities, who are trying to a keep dialogue with Government open on this issue on behalf of the sector.

    In addition, we continue to comply with the requirements of the Office for Students in offering broadly equivalent provision of a high quality, with reliable standards and the opportunity for positive outcomes for all students. We also continue to focus on maintaining the quantity and accessibility of the provision we have been able to offer during the pandemic.

    In line with recommendations from the Office of the Independent Adjudicator (OIA), if you have any concerns around the provision we have offered, in the first instance we would encourage you to raise your initial concerns with your module or programme lead, or your personal tutor to try to find a resolution that is acceptable to all. If you have trouble contacting the person you wish to speak to please ask your Student Advice Centre for help.

    If this is not possible, you can access the university complaints process. Students who wish to raise a complaint should in the first instance complete the complaint webform on our website. There is more information about this process on our student complaints procedure page.

    If you remain dissatisfied with the decision of the university once the complaints process has been completed, you can seek a review by the OIA. The OIA has useful guidance on tuition fees on its coronavirus FAQ section.

  7. What is happening with DMU Global?

    While overseas DMU Global opportunities are not currently possible due to the Government’s travel restrictions, students will still be able to participate in our full range of campus-based activities. You can learn a foreign language, including Mandarin, French, German, Spanish, Japanese and Arabic. Students can also participate in other opportunities such as Teach English as a Foreign Language Training (TEFL) and the DMU Global Intercultural Awareness Certificate.

    For the summer term the team has announced details for free or heavily subsidised opportunities for students, including virtual summer schools in cultural media and ICT with universities in Austria and Finland, virtual internships in Fiji and free, online conferences in Indonesia and Japan looking at global issues such as food waste and global inequalities respectively.  

    You can see the full details here on the DMU Global Online Learning webpage.

    DMU Global Online Learning also offers students the chance to engage and learn about a range of global topics in a virtual environment, without the need to travel.

  8. What is happening with placements?

    Please liaise in the first instance with your placement tutor.

    If you are on a placement year, your main point of contact is your placement tutor. Stay in touch with them if you have questions or need advice. You can also contact the placement team based in your faculty.

    Students on HLS placements should look out for information sent by their link tutor or usual placement academic contact, and the HLS placement team.

    If you are looking for a placement, we recommend seeking the help of your faculty-based placement team, which can help you with identifying placements you could apply for, writing a good application, and preparing for the specific types of interviews and assessments used by different employers.

    It is important to get this personalised and specialist support, rather than try to apply on your own. Employers have moved their application processes onto virtual platforms and therefore you will benefit from preparation and guidance on how to succeed in these online processes.

    To get in touch with your faculty-based placement team, contact:

  9. What is happening with graduation ceremonies?

  10. I’d like to make a complaint, how can I do this?

    We’re sorry if you feel dissatisfied or disadvantaged by anything in light of the current situation. If you’d like to make a complaint about anything relating to Covid-19, please email us at and we will look into this for you as soon as possible. You can find out more on our student complaints procedure page.

Your life on campus

  1. Do I need to wear face masks on campus?

    To ensure that we are able to deliver a safe learning and teaching environment, you will be required to wear a face mask during face-to-face teaching sessions. We have taken this decision because it will enable us to deliver as much face-to-face teaching as is possible in line with social distancing guidelines.

    All students will be provided with two re-usable face masks. It is important that you always bring your face mask when you come to campus as it is your responsibility to protect yourself and others from the further transmission of Covid-19.

    We recognise that in some instances, students and staff may not be able to wear a face covering. You can find our full guidance on our dedicated face coverings web page.

  2. Can I participate in DMUsport activities?

    DMUsport are now able to offer a free programme of sport and activities, open to any current registered DMU student. Sessions are open to all year groups and experience levels. All (except rowing) taking place in the city centre at St Margaret’s Pasture, so they’re easy to get to and walking distance from campus.

    All sessions will have a DMUsport member of staff present (as this is organised sport in line with the Government’s roadmap), who will run the session, be responsible for Covid-safe behaviour and any equipment needed for the session. More information as to how to book and what to expect can be found under the DMUsport events on MyGateway.

    Activities will be under continued review as facilities and session leaders become available. Follow @dmusports on TwitterFacebook and Instagram for updates. If you have a suggestion for an activity you’d like to see, please email

    Click here to view the full schedule of activities. 

  3. What are the current rules for household mixing?

    To stay up to date with the current rules for household mixing, the website contains the latest UK Government restrictions.

  4. What do I do if people in my accommodation aren’t following the lockdown restrictions?

    If you see instances of rule breaking at your accommodation please report it to our Security team by calling 0116 257 7642.
  5. How is DMU making sure the campus and my accommodation is clean and safe?

    We have made extensive plans to make the campus as safe as possible, as well as ensuring we comply with – or exceed – Government guidelines and the wider advice from national bodies such as the NHS and Public Health England (PHE). You can find out more information on the Your DMU Safety webpages.

    We will also ask you to play your part by complying with all necessary measures to ensure everyone can have the best DMU experience possible.

    All DMU-owned and nominated halls will be following the relevant government guidelines. Increased cleaning of reception areas, common rooms, corridors and laundry rooms will be maintained throughout your stay, including detailed cleaning of all access readers, touchpoints, rails and handles.

    Social distancing measures have been implemented in public spaces as well as procedures to promote good hand hygiene. Our priority is to create and maintain a safe environment for our students and staff. For more information about the advice, guidance and measures DMU is taking regarding accommodation, see the Your DMU Safety accommodation page.

  6. What are you doing about confirmed cases of Covid-19?

    Following UK Government guidance, we have created a clear plan to follow in the event that a case of Covid-19 case is diagnosed on campus. You can find out more information about this on our confirmed case management page.

    Please check our regularly updated case tracker to see the most recent figures.

    We are also working closely with Leicester City Council and its Director of Public Health on these matters. We have implemented DMU Safe Trace, our test-and-trace system, which we ask for all students and staff to use by scanning a QR code on their smartphones when entering and exiting university buildings. This is so we can contact students and staff who have come into contact with any potential cases on campus.

  7. How is DMU protecting my health and wellbeing?

    The health and wellbeing of our students has always been of the utmost importance to us, but especially so during this time when we are responding to the challenges of Covid-19. DMU already has a wide range of support and resources to help you prioritise your wellbeing during your time with us and beyond and we are working on enhancing these to make sure that whatever support you need, we are there for you.

    Any student who has an ongoing or significant health or disability-related concern which may affect their attendance at university should contact the DAS ( or our Mental Health team (, who will discuss the situation with you and consider what support or adjustments can be put in place. 

    As ever, the  HealthyDMU Hub  is available to support your health and wellbeing at DMU. It will provide you with information about staying well, and how to book appointments with the  Student Welfare Team.  

    All of DMU's welfare services are also currently available online should you need to access them. This includes  counselling,  mindfulness,  masterclasses and Single Point of Access (SPA) appointments.  The  HealthyDMU Hub  has lots of helpful resources to help support you, including information on how to stay active and how to connect with others.  

  8. What should I do if I think I, or my housemates, have Covid-19?

    The Government advice if you have any of the symptoms of coronavirus – that is either a high temperature, a new, continuous cough, or a loss or change of your sense of taste or smell – is to get tested as soon as possible, and to self-isolate for at least ten days. You can find more information on the NHS website.

    If you live with someone who has the symptoms of Covid-19, which are a high temperature or a new, continuous cough, you should self-isolate for at least 10 days. You may need to self-isolate for more than 10 days if you get symptoms while self-isolating or your symptoms do not go away.

    If you need to self-isolate it is important you let the university know you will be unable to attend lectures and seminars for the duration of your self-isolation period.

    You can do this by contacting your faculty Student Advice Centre (SACs) as soon as you are able.

    If you have to self-isolate at any point during the term there will be support and advice available from the university.

  9. Will you be able to guarantee my safety from contracting Covid-19 on campus?

    DMU has been putting lots of measures and guidance in place to make our campus as safe and secure as possible by observing Government and PHE health and safety guidelines and protocols to the best of our ability. You can find out more about these safety measures on the Your DMU Safety webpages.

    The health and wellbeing of our students and staff is of paramount importance to us. While we want to offer as much reassurance and confidence as possible to anyone concerned or anxious about returning to campus for the new academic year, we cannot 100 per cent guarantee safety from contracting the virus on campus, which includes public highways that are outside of our control. We all have an active role and shared responsibility in protecting ourselves and each other. To find out more about this please follow our Health and Safety Principles and join our Shared commitment to keeping each other safe.


  1. How do the exam cancellations affect my application to DMU?

    GCSE, AS, and A level exams have been cancelled and results will be awarded as teacher assessed grades based on a range of evidence; for example, responses to assessment materials provided by the exam board, coursework, internal tests, and mock exams.

    For all vocational and technical qualifications (e.g. BTECs, Cambridge Technicals): where exams have not taken place, there will also be teacher-assessed grades.

    Advice for private candidates can be found on the UCAS website.

  2. How will teaching and learning work during the 2021-22 academic year?

    This year certain aspects of the university’s teaching, learning and assessment provision are being delivered through more flexible, digital methods but remain broadly equivalent to what would have been offered in a normal year. 

    In 2021-22 we will continue to follow UK Government guidance and adopt measures to keep our students and staff safe. This may include offering some contact hours and other elements of our provision via online technology. To help us maximise the face-to-face opportunities we can provide, we will also be looking at scheduling lessons early evening each weekday, up to 7pm. However, we will endeavour to ensure that you have no more than two sessions between 5pm and 7pm each week.

    We remain committed to excellent teaching and will support our students to progress in their studies and have the opportunity to reach their learning outcomes as part of their preparation for the future. Find out more about your teaching and learning on the Your DMU Future webpages.

  3. Due to Covid-19 I can't get copies of things I need to meet my offer conditions, pay my deposit, arrange my visa or book my flights. What do I do?

    Please email and our friendly team will be happy to help you.

    We understand the challenges students are currently facing. If you are unable to provide certificates or transcripts please contact our admissions team and let them know of any difficulties.

    Due to Covid-19 the service offered by UK Visa Application Centres (VACs) has been disrupted. For updates to the status of VACs in your country, contact:

    • TLS contact if you’re in Europe, Africa and parts of the Middle East
    • VFS global for all other countries

    If you can’t travel to campus in time for the start of the programme, we want to reassure you that you will have the option of a high-quality remote programme start.

    If you have your visa but can’t travel to the UK during the validity of your 30-day entry clearance visa, we encourage you to get in touch with your education agent or the regional team in our friendly International Office for visa support and guidance for your country.

    If you need to show evidence of your English language to meet entry criteria but IELTS centres in your home country have closed, we have expanded the range of online English tests that we are able to accept, including IELTS Indicator and TOEFL iBT ‘Home Edition’.

    We also offer an internal English test (DATE test) which is completely free and now available online. If you require a DATE test, please get in touch with us with your student ID and we will help you further.

  4. When can I expect to receive my CAS?

    Our Central Admissions team are working to provide all students with their CAS as soon as possible. In order to be eligible, you must have met all conditions of your offer of admission – including having paid your deposit.

    Please be patient: we have thousands of students who need a CAS and our Admissions Team will be working to get these to you as quickly as possible. You are not able to make a Tier 4 application more than three months before your programme start date so no CAS will be produced earlier than that.

  5. How will teaching and learning work during the 2021-22 academic year?

    This year certain aspects of the university’s teaching, learning and assessment provision are being delivered through more flexible, digital methods but remain broadly equivalent to what would have been offered in a normal year. 

    In 2021-22 we will continue to follow UK Government guidance and adopt measures to keep our students and staff safe. This may include offering some contact hours and other elements of our provision via online technology. To help us maximise the face-to-face opportunities we can provide, we will also be looking at scheduling lessons early evening each weekday, up to 7pm. However, we will endeavour to ensure that you have no more than two sessions between 5pm and 7pm each week.

    We remain committed to excellent teaching and will support our students to progress in their studies and have the opportunity to reach their learning outcomes as part of their preparation for the future. Find out more about your teaching and learning on the Your DMU Future webpages.

Postgraduate research students

  1. What should I do if the Covid-19 outbreak is affecting my ability to do research?

    We have developed a handbook specifically for Postgraduate Research students. Please take a look.

    There are several options to choose from if you feel that Covid-19 and the attendant issues are affecting your ability to do research:

    If you are working remotely please continue with your regular supervisory meetings in an online capacity. You will need to discuss this with your supervisors.

    If your research entails work in laboratories or studios, please liaise with your supervisory team about access. There are a number of risk assessments and safety protocols in place to ensure your safety in returning to these spaces.

    If your data collection involves human participants, talk with your supervisor for advice on possible virtual methods of data collection. Changes to your methodological approach and your research instrument may need further faculty research ethical approval.

    If you are an international student who returned home when the outbreak first occurred, you may have decided to return to Leicester. Please notify us through email at, and speak to your supervisors.

    We are regularly updating our Research Student Community Blackboard space which features recordings, slides, and other resources linked to our researcher development programme. To find the pages, go to and sign in. Scroll down to the ‘My Communities’ section and select ‘Research Student Community’. There are some online resources available providing guidance on conducting research when a pandemic is on, such as ‘doing fieldwork in a pandemic'. For NHS-related data collection, see COVID-19: Guidance for Sponsors, Sites and Researchers.

    In all cases, please keep in touch with your supervisor. If you are changing the direction of your research, or even making tweaks to your research design, there may be implications for your ethics application that you will need to consider with your supervisor.

    All key progression events, including a First Project Review, Formal Review, Probation Review or Annual Review, have been taking place online. Again, a change to face-to-face delivery of these progression events will be communicated to you via your supervisory team.