Frequently asked questions
Please see below some of the most frequently asked questions about our interviews. If you have a question that is not answered here, please contact the Admissions Team.
What is Microsoft Teams?
Microsoft Teams (MS Teams) is a free application which allows you to make telephone and video calls over the internet using your Windows or Mac computer, laptop or mobile device. You can find out further information, including how to download the app on the Microsoft website.
Why will my interview be online using MS Teams?
All interviews will take place via Microsoft Teams to help ensure that we offer you the most comfortable and flexible experience possible.
Planning my interview
What do I need to do before my MS Teams interview?
It is important that you make the following preparations:
- Ensure that you are available for the interview which will be at the time indicated on your booking confirmation and MS Teams invite. Please remember that the time of your interview will be in Greenwich Mean Time (or GMT+1 when British Summer Time is in effect).
- Please accept the MS Teams invite you are sent.
- Ensure that you have access to MS Teams on your computer or device. Check that your computer / device, webcam, microphone and speakers are working. It is advisable that you plan spare time the day before the interview to do this.
- If you have a learning differences which requires adjustments for your interview, please email the Admissions Team to declare this in order for us to make any required changes before the interview date.
What if I have changed my name/address/phone number/email address?
You must notify De Montfort University and UCAS in writing via email. Our computer systems do not automatically update this information so informing both parties is vital. It is your responsibility to keep us informed of changes. We cannot be held responsible for misinformation being sent or emailed to you because your details are not correct.
What will the MS Teams interview involve on the day?
To help you prepare for your interview and what will happen on the day, you will be sent further guidance along with you MS Teams invite. You can also check out our digital guides
with specific information on the interview process for your chosen course area.
I can't attend any of the interview dates that are on the booking form, who do I contact?
Please contact the Admissions Team
for advice on other dates that may be more convenient for you. Please note, depending on course popularity and the number of interview dates remaining, it may not always be possible to offer you an alternative date.
I’ve booked an interview but can no longer attend this date, what should I do?
Please contact the Admissions Team for advice on alternative dates which may be available.
If it is short notice (after you have already confirmed your attendance) you must call 0116 2078443 or email the events team (email@example.com) as soon as you can to advise us that you will not be able to attend.
If you contact us after the event and want to be rescheduled we will try to arrange another date. However, please be aware this may not always be possible due to high volume of applications we receive for the course.
I’m attending an interview today but am running late, how can I let you know?
If you are late due to unforeseen circumstances we would ask that you call to advise us as soon as possible on the day and we will advise you on how to proceed.
Please contact us as soon as you are able to and let us know when you are able to join your MS Teams interview. If necessary we can inform you of any alternate arrangements in some instances, if you expect to be significantly late, we may suggest you book a different date.
The phone number to call is 0116 2078443.
I've applied for more than one course and have been invited to interviews for both - do I have to do both?
You will need to attend an interview for each course. It may be that both courses are interviewing on the same day, in which case you will need to book your interview slot for both courses separately.
I've been asked to present a portfolio at my MS Teams interview - what should I include?
During my interview
What do I need to do on the day of my MS Teams interview?
On the day of your interview it is important that you do the following:
- Find a quiet space in a family room at home that you can solely use for your interview where you will not be interrupted with a computer or device that has a webcam, speakers and microphone. Again, check they are working ahead of your interview time slot.
- We will send you a calendar invitation via email in advance of your interview, this will include a link for you to join your interview in Microsoft Teams. On the day of your interview 10 minutes before your allocated time please follow these instructions:
- Click on the Join Microsoft Teams Meeting link.
- That'll open a web page, select: Join on the web. (Your browser may ask if it's okay for Teams to use your mic and camera. Be sure to click allow).
- Enter your name and choose your audio and video settings. Select Phone audio if you want to listen to the meeting on your mobile.
- On the date and time of your booked interview slot, hit Join now.
This will bring you into the meeting lobby and a member of staff in the meeting will admit you.
- If there is a connection failure, please try and reconnect using the same instructions above as soon as possible. The interviewer will wait for as long as they can to continue your interview.
- Ensure your devices and your mobile phone are fully charged or that you have access to a landline phone (in case of severe technical difficulties with MS Teams we may revert to a telephone interview or reschedule).
- Check that you have your photo ID ready as your interviewer will ask to see this during the interview.
- Ensure you have a pen and paper.
What will happen during my interview?
Interviews tend to be between 30-45 minutes long. You will be asked to speak about your interest in the course, why you would like to study at DMU and, for portfolio-based courses, your previous work. Further information and advice on the interview process for each course can be found on the interview advice page
Do I need to have anything with me for my MS Teams interview?
Some of our courses require you to present a portfolio at the interview so we can assess your work. Information regarding this is detailed in your invite to interview email/letter.
If you have applied for a professional accredited course, you will be required to have your photographic ID to hand.
I am having trouble using MS Teams, what can I do?
After my interview
When will I hear if I have been successful in my interview?
We aim to make decisions as soon as possible after the interview. In most cases these will be communicated via email and an update on UCAS Hub within a week of you attending your interview. We will also be in touch if we are unable to make our decision straight away.
If my application is unsuccessful following interview, can I request feedback?
If you would like to find out the reasons for the decision you can contact the Admissions Team and request interview feedback. Please note that such requests cannot always be actioned immediately, although the admissions office will provide feedback as promptly as possible.
I have been made an offer/asked to consider an alternative course – what do I do next?
Please read your offer letter/email carefully as all necessary information should be included in this. If you are still unsure about the offer you have been made, please contact the Admissions Team for further advice.
Conditions of Offer
For some of our professional courses, if you are successful after your interview, you will then be made an offer, which will be conditional based on you satisfying all academic and non-academic requirements as follows:
Please note that the Self-Declaration Form 1a needs to be completed within two weeks of receiving your offer from us.
Details on completing the non-academic requirements will be sent to conditional firm applicants from May 2023 onwards.
If you require further information or have any questions about your interview day, please contact the Admissions Team:
T: 0116 207 8443