Campus Cycle Facilities
We provide a wide range of facilities on campus designed to support staff to travel to DMU by bicycle. These facilities include: secure cycle storage, shower and changing facilities and well-equipped repair stations.
Campus Bicycle Storage
For full details of the cycle facilities available on campus, including locations, please see the map below. A larger version of the map is available here.
To gain access to the secure cycle storage facilities on campus, please follow the steps below:
Keys are required for:
- Cycle sheds in the Main Car Park
- Secure section of the cycle shed in the John Whitehead Building car park
- Hoops outside the Hawthorn Building
- Cycle boxes outside the QEII Leisure Centre
- Hugh Aston Building cycle sheds
- The Watershed cycle lockers
Keys for (1), (2), (3) and (5) require a £5 returnable deposit to be made to the cashier's desk in Gateway House; the presented receipt should then be taken to the Estates Services Building Reception where the reception staff will be able to issue you with a key. Different keys are required for each shed, with the exception of the two sheds in the main car park.
Users of QEII Leisure Centre and The Watershed can pick up keys for the cycle boxes (4) and lockers (6) from the QEII reception and The Watershed reception respectively.
Swipe card access is required for:
- Clephan Building Cycle Store
- New Wharf Hall of Residence Cycle Shed
- The Watershed Cycle Store
- Vijay Patel Basement Cycle Store
To gain access to these facilities please email Sustainability stating which store(s) you would like access to. Access to these facilities is limited and will be granted on a first-come-first-served basis.
DMU accepts no responsibility for any damage or theft to personal property whilst using the campus cycle storage facilities.
Shower and Changing Facilities
A number of shower and changing facilities are available for staff to use. These can be found in:
Campus Centre: Available for staff to use between 7.30 - 8.40am, Monday to Friday. A keycode is required for access, please contact Sustainability.
Hawthorn Building 0.28*: Available for staff to use between 7.30am - 6.30pm, Monday to Friday.
Heritage House 00.03 & 00.04: Available for staff to use between 7.30am - 6.30pm, Monday to Friday (closed for cleaning between 10 - 11am).
Hugh Aston Building*: Available for staff to use between 7.30am - 9pm, Monday to Friday (closed for cleaning between 10 - 11am and 2 - 3pm).
PACE Building*: Available for staff to use between 8 - 8.40am, Monday to Friday.
Vijay Patel 0.04 & 0.68: Available for staff and students to use during building opening hours.
*Swipe card access is required for these facilities. Please contact Security to get your access card updated.
A limited number of lockers are available for staff who actively commute to DMU (walk, cycle or run). For more information about the lockers available, and how to access them, please contact Sustainability.
Support for Cyclists
DMU offers a wide range of support for staff who cycle to the university, including:
Staff cyclists are able to loan a set of lights and a high quality (Sold Secure Gold rated) D-lock from DMU, free of charge. Staff may also be able to receive a free high-vis vest, while stocks last.
Puncture repair support
Free inner tubes and puncture repair kits are available to support staff cyclists who receive a puncture on their commute. Cycle repair stations and pumps are located in the Vijay Patel Basement Cycle Store and in the cycle shed in the main car park.
Dr Bike Maintenance sessions
Staff cyclists can take advantage of free bike maintenance sessions on campus. The next sessions will take place on:
- Tuesday 21st January
- Thursday 20th February
- Wednesday 18th March
Booking is essential. For availability, and to book, please click here. Sessions will take place in the basement of the Vijay Patel building.
Cycle2Work and Cycle Plus
Staff looking to purchase a bike for their commute could save up to 32% by purchasing through the Cycle2Work and Cycle Plus tax-free bike schemes. Applications can be made during the following application windows:
- Monday 6th July - Saturday 31st October 2020
For more information please see DMU Rewards.
Cycle journey planning
For cycle journey planning log onto the free website www.cyclestreets.net.
For details of Park and Cycle facilites at local Park and Ride sites, please see here.
If you would like any more information about the support DMU offers to cyclists, please contact Sustainability.
Tips for keeping your bike safe on campus
- Use the campus cycle storage facilities, some of which are lockable. If you're leaving campus then take your bike with you - don't leave bikes parked on campus overnight.
- Never leave your bike unlocked; even for a few minutes.
- Lock your bike in a busy, well-lit area covered by CCTV and use a good quality cycle lock (such as a Sold Secure Gold rated lock). DMU staff can loan a good quality D-lock from DMU, free of charge, by emailing Sustainability.
- Learn how to lock your bike correctly. Ensure that you fill as much of the lock shackle as possible, don't just lock the top tube to the stand.
- Keep a record of your bike's make, model and frame number and take advantage of free security marking promotions on campus.
- Remember that no cycle facility is 100% thief-proof; make sure your cycle is insured against theft whilst on campus. Some home contents insurance policies may be adapted to include bikes.
- Please report any suspicious behaviour around the cycle facilities to security and do not let anyone into the cycle sheds unless you are sure they should be in there.
DMU Bicycle User Group
If you would like to be kept up-to-date with new cycling initiatives, have your say on developments for cyclists at DMU, or get involved with cycling discussions then why not join the DMU BuG? Email your interest to Sustainability to be added to the mailing list.
For further information on cycling and cycle storage facilities in Leicester please click here.