Rewards and benefits
The day-to-day experience of our colleagues is important to us, and we want to ensure there are plenty of benefits and rewards available to make the university a fantastic place to work.
Here's a selection of some of the things DMU colleagues can enjoy as an employee here, and read on for more details.
- Private Healthcare
- LGPS or TPS Pension scheme membership, if an existing member
- Access to a lifestyle and travel discounts website
- Cycle to work scheme and free Dr Bike sessions
- Library Membership
- Discounted Gym Membership
- Protect your no claims scheme
- Payroll Giving
- #DMUstaffsocial committee activities
- 24-hour access to an Employee Assistance Programme
- Flexible working opportunities
- Generous annual leave
- OSCARS and Long Service Awards
- NUS Card eligible
- Academic and professional services staff can apply for either accelerated increments within their pay grade or contribution points, which are additional incremental points above their pay grade.
- Access excellent pension schemes through the Local Government Pension Scheme (for professional services staff) or the Teachers' Pension Scheme (for academics).
The DMU Reward platform offers a huge range of discounts that all colleagues with a dmu.ac.uk email address can claim. You can claim student discounts at hundreds of national and local retailers through the NUS Extra/Totum card - see below for a small sample of the discounts you can claim:
- 6 months free Spotify premium
Health and wellbeing
The award-winning Queen Elizabeth II Diamond Jubilee Leisure Centre offers a range of discounted memberships for staff, including paying through a salary deduction. From spin and fitness classes to relaxation classes and access to the swimming, there are numerous options to stay fit, healthy and happy at DMU.
DMU offers services including advice on health and wellbeing management, with a free 'know your numbers' check that covers:
- Blood pressure
- Resting pulse rate
- Fat analysis/Body Mass Index
- Lung function tests
The Employee Assistance Programme offers staff immediate access to 24-hour telephone counselling and legal and financial information services, provided by an independent health and wellbeing provider.
We offer a range of affordable options, discounts and schemes that support your travel-to-work options, such as:
- Public transport fare offers with SmartGo
- Free Park and Ride travel
- Cycle to work scheme - to spread the cost of buying a new nike for your commute
- Facilities on campus for cyclists such as secure bike storage and showers
Work life balance
There are usually 13 bank holiday and concessionary days on top of annual leave entitlement. We also provide a range of flexible working options, that can be utilised to support caring responsibilities and wider work-life balance. Our Flexible Working Policy gives eligible employees an opportunity to request a change to their working pattern, such as a reduction or variation of working hours, or working from a different location (e.g. home).
From must-see theatre shows, coach trips, Christmas parties, keep-fit classes and other activities on campus, #DMUStaffSocial offers a large number of diverse events and discounts throughout the year. They’re a great opportunity to spend some time experiencing something new and having fun with colleagues, friends and families.
We have vibrant and active staff networks that focus and support our diverse backgrounds. These networks provide: a forum for consultation and discussion; a great opportunity to network with colleagues from across the institution; personal and professional development; and a chance to inform the university on policy and procedure. We currently have staff networks for Black, Asian and Minority Ethnic (BAME) staff; Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Trans, Queer + (LGBTQ+) staff and allies; female staff (DMUWomen), those with a disability and a wellbeing network. We also have Christian and Muslim chaplains, who provide spiritual support, advice and encouragement to staff and students of all faiths and none.
Leicester is famous for its diversity, with numerous cultural events celebrated throughout the city. Our Diwali celebration is one of the largest outside of India and also has events for Vaisakhi, a Caribbean Carnival and Leicester Mela. There are numerous international films at the Phoenix cinema and world-renown stage productions at Curve theatre, with whom we partner with for our own festivals such and DMUPride and Black History Month.
Through our partnerships, we offer exclusive ticket offers at Leicester City Football Club, Leicester Tigers and Leicester Riders Basketball team. Keep a look out on our staff intranet, DMUconnect, for regular news.
As a “thank you”
DMU's annual Outstanding Service Contribution and Achievement Recognition Awards (or OSCARs for short), give us all the opportunity to celebrate and reward the talent and dedication of staff at the university and their contribution to our work.