IT, printing and media support
For IT and media support call the ITMS Service Desk on 0116 250 6050 or email ITMSServicedesk@dmu.ac.uk
Students at DMU have access to a wide range of IT services and facilities including:
- Leading edge IT facilities for all our students. We have over 3,000 desktop computers on campus and support over 400 teaching classrooms and labs.
- 700 central PCs and Macs in the Kimberlin Library 24/7 365 days a year and other open access areas with dedicated labs for Mac and Linux platforms.
- Vast range of software for their studies including specialist applications for their subject area including CAD, business applications, and industry level software.
- Borrowing a laptop for use in the University library through self-service laptop loan service.
- FREE access to Microsoft Office 365. This will include your student email, online Microsoft Office applications as well as applications such as OneNote, Sway and Microsoft Imagine.
- 1 TB of storage on OneDrive to store all personal and University documents.
- Cost effective printing services – De Montfort University has one of the cheapest print services in Higher Education sector which can be accessed across the campus.
- Free campus wide Wi-Fi service - Eduroam – providing high speed and consistent connectivity and only requires your student login details to activate.
- DMU’s virtual learning environment Blackboard allowing students to access their learning materials and submit course work online.
- Access to additional software and hardware to support students with disabilities.
- MyDMU student portal and mobile app provides personalised access to timetabling, Library services, Blackboard, and a wide range of additional functionality.
MyDMU is where you can find all your personal DMU information from timetables and financial information to course details and results.
MyDMU also links through to the Blackboard virtual learning environment. We give you a personal DMU Gmail account.
You can get onto the internet anywhere on the DMU campus, all you need to do is scan wireless networks with your phone or laptop and select Eduroam, then just log in with your username and password. Eduroam is a global wifi network, and allows you to log in at universities, colleges and hospitals worldwide.
Printing is simple at DMU, just use your student card at any machine and you can print from and to any student printer at the university.
We have a fleet of 90 identical multi function devices available across the campus to allow you to:
- Print double sided, using less paper
- Print to any student printer across campus
- Scan documents directly to your email account
|How much does printing and photocopying cost?|
|Size||Type||Cost per side|
||Black and white
||Black and white
How does it work?
Just swipe your student ID card and touch the icon for print, copy or scan.
- Print, select your file from the list, and touch 'Start Print'.
- Photocopy, place the original on the flatbed and touch 'Start Copy'.
- Scan to email, place the original on the flatbed and touch email. When you fill out the fields it will be sent to your DMU email account.
It is your responsibility to make sure that your work is 'print ready'. If you're not sure then please ask a member of staff. If a technical error has caused your document to be produced incorrectly, we can re-credit your account, but we will need evidence of this.
Make sure that you log out once you've finished so no-one else can use your account.
IT support is available throughout the night, each night of the week and all through the weekend. You can contact us for support on and off-campus by telephone.
The out-of-hours service, available by calling 0116 250 6050, usually operates:
- Monday: 5pm until 8am the next morning
- Tuesday: 5pm until 8am the next morning
- Wednesday: 5pm until 8am the next morning
- Thursday: 5pm until 8am the next morning
- Friday: 5pm and throughout the weekend until 8am Monday
- Saturday: all day
- Sunday: all day
The service provides assistance with various services and systems including:
- Blackboard - virtual learning environment
- Student and staff email
- MyDMU - the student portal
- Staff portal
- Microsoft Office suite
Please have the following information ready when using our out-of-hours service:
- Your P number from your ID card
- Your name
- A contact telephone number
- Details of the problem and any error messages you have received
- If you are disabled and would like us to prioritise your call please let the service desk analyst know at the beginning of your call, or in the text of your email
If you have password problems you should visit MyDMU and follow the link 'password self service'.
We offer screen enhancement, special display systems and adjustable workstations in campus libraries and faculty IT spaces. We can also advise on specialist software, such as speech recognition systems.
For more information have a look at Microsoft's accessibility tutorials.
Find out more about our shops, including the IT shop, the arts materials shop and the Copy and Print Bureau.
IT induction and training
To access the DMU Student IT induction, please visit the relevant pages on the DMU Library website.
This induction covers a range of IT topics including how to access My DMU, your student email, Blackboard virtual learning environment.
On these pages, you will also find information about how to download your free copy of Microsoft Office 365 and how to access the free online training courses available through the Microsoft Imagine Academy.