Very soon, lots of DMU students will be celebrating the end of years of hard work when they start to receive their degrees during a remarkable moment in recent history. Although we’re unable to hold physical ceremonies at this time, we still want to mark this moment and celebrate the hundreds of extraordinary and unique success stories at DMU.
Therefore, we will be holding online celebration events paying tribute to the Class of 2020 between 18 and 21 August across our digital and social media channels and we’d love for you to take part!
We're incredibly proud of the remarkable resilience and tenacity all our students have shown, to not only achieve their degrees, but overcome the adversity a global pandemic has brought. Each has taken hard work, determination, talent and support and each will have had its highs and lows, its hopes and doubts, its successes and setbacks, its sacrifices and rewards.
These individual successes form part of a bigger, shared experience. And that sharing is a huge part of what our university is really about. That’s why it’s so important, despite the restrictions, that we come together to put our graduands centre stage – albeit virtually – so we can see, feel, hear and celebrate your achievements.
See below for the dates your course will be spotlighted and honoured:
- Arts, Design and Humanities – Tuesday 18 August
- Business and Law – Wednesday 19 August
- Computing, Engineering and Media – Thursday 20 August
- Health and Life Sciences – Friday 21 August
We will be announcing more about what’s planned on these dates over the next few weeks so please do keep a look out for the latest information on our new Class of 2020 webpages.
We know that the experience of our graduating students will not be the same as previous years, but we want to provide you with as memorable an experience as possible within the restrictions we are under. Unfortunately, the university cannot formally offer a physical graduation experience at present, but we continue to explore options to hold these in the future in line with the latest government advice on physical distancing requirements. We will keep you updated as the situation develops.
Share your favourite 'DMU Memories' photos
Our DMU Memories competition has now closed.
To make your online celebration events special we are asking for you to send in your favourite DMU Memories, they could be photos from your course, a DMU Global trip, a sport or society event or a volunteering project.
All entries will be entered into a prize draw to win an Instax camera bundle, free gown hire to have your own celebration at home and a £50 Love2shop voucher (Ts and Cs apply).
To enter all you need to do is send a photo (or two) of your favourite memories from your time at DMU. You can send these to firstname.lastname@example.org using ‘DMU Memories’ as the subject line or to enter via social media you can simply post a comment on one of your Instagram photos with the hashtag ‘#DMUGrads’, or upload a photo on Twitter with the caption ‘#DMUGrads’ included.
Receiving your degree certificates
We aim to begin producing degree certificates as soon as we possibly can and this is likely to be from late July to October, although this will be dependent on any further local lockdown restrictions. All graduates will receive their certificate by post to the permanent address held on your student record. Please make sure this record is up-to-date by checking your ‘My Personal Details’ tile in MyDMU.
Please note: we cannot currently offer our usual service of allowing the collection of certificates in person.
All students graduating will also be named online on our new Class of 2020 website but you can opt out of this if you don’t want to be mentioned by contacting us via email at email@example.com by Friday 31 July. Please note degree classifications will not be included in the online list.
DMU for Life
All DMU graduates are now part of the DMU For Life (alumni) community which offers you invaluable careers support, networking opportunities within a community of thousands of alumni from around the world, access to job opportunities, discounts on further study and much more. Click here to find out more about how our Advancement team can support you.
Terms and conditions for prize draw
1. This De Montfort University prize draw competition is open only to De Montfort University students graduating in July 2020. Employees of De Montfort University, its affiliates or participating companies are not eligible to enter unless specified in communications. Failure to comply with any part of this clause will disqualify the respective entry from the competition.
2. All entries must be received by the time and date specified (UK time).
3. To be eligible to win, you must be graduating in July 2020.
4. De Montfort University reserves the right to reject any entries for any reason at its sole discretion.
5. The promoter will not be liable for any failure of receipt of entries. The promoter takes no responsibility for any entries which are lost, delayed, illegible, corrupted, damaged, incomplete or otherwise invalid.
6. To the extent permitted by applicable law, the promoter’s liability under or in connection with the prize draw competition or these terms and conditions shall be limited to the value of the prize in question.
7. To the extent permitted by applicable law, the promoter shall not be liable under or in connection with these terms and conditions, the prize draw competition or any prize for any indirect, special or consequential cost, expense, loss or damage suffered by a participant even if such cost, expense, loss or damage was reasonably foreseeable or might reasonably have been contemplated by the participant and the promoter and whether arising from breach of contract, tort, negligence, breach of statutory duty or otherwise.
8. Prizes are non-negotiable, non-transferable and non-refundable. No cash alternative is available. Where a prize becomes unavailable for any reason, the promoter reserves the right to substitute that prize for a prize of equal or higher value.
9. In the event of unforeseen circumstances beyond the promoter’s reasonable control, the promoter reserves the right to cancel, terminate, modify or suspend the prize draw competition or these terms and conditions, either in whole or in part, with or without notice.
10. The promoter's decision is final. No correspondence will be entered into.
11. The winner’s Twitter or Instagram username may be posted on the @dmuleicester account after the winner has been selected.
12. These terms and conditions and the competition prize draw are governed by English law and subject to the non-exclusive jurisdiction of the English courts.
13. Promoter: De Montfort University, The Gateway, Leicester, LE1 9BH.
Posted on Wednesday 8th July 2020