We already know it’s a great place to live and study – but now Leicester has been voted one of the top 15 best student cities in England.
StudentCrowd compiled its 2023 rankings on reviews received by students who were asked for their recommendations on the best places to be.
It is the only live league table which means it is constantly updated with student reviews about what is important to them: cost of living, restaurants, night life, shopping and public transport.
• View the live league table here
Final year nursing students Beth Haines, Emily Varnham and Becky Harris agreed Leicester was a great place to be a student.
Becky said: “I’ve lived in Leicester all my life and it is great as a student – you can walk into town or you can pop on the bus and head out to the countryside. We get the best of both worlds.”
“There’s so many places to meet up for lunch, we have a tradition of heading to St Martins – pass or fail, we’re getting pizza.” said Beth.
Gabby Miller, of Cool as Leicester - the city's largest online magazine - said: “It’s fantastic to see Leicester being recognised as a top student city. The city centre has developed so much in recent years, offering everything from axe throwing to foot pool for people to get involved in. With the booming activity scene alongside a vibrant selection of independent bars, cafes and restaurants, it’s a great place for students to explore during their time at university.”
Simon Jenner is the director of BID Leicester which works to attract people into Leicester through high-profile events throughout the year.
He said: “It’s no surprise to see Leicester gaining recognition as a great place for students. The city has a vibrant arts scene with everything from world class street art and theatre to cinemas and café culture.
“As well as great bars and live music, there is an ever-growing range of activities from bowling and climbing to baseball and axe-throwing. Leicester also has a vibrant start up culture with new businesses constantly emerging, and an eclectic range of independent businesses that are unique to the city.”
DMU has been part of Leicester since 1870 and has close partnerships with Curve Leicester, Phoenix Cinema and offers student discounts at venues and restaurants across the city. Every week, DMU posts the #DMUtop10 which highlights gigs, shows, events and more on X every Friday 5pm to 6pm and Saturday 9am to 10am.
Here’s what students had to say to studentcrowd:
• “Leicester is an amazing city! The social aspect of it is amazing as a result some great memories have been made”
• “Leicester as a city is different and vibrant. I would definitely recommend this city to other people. It’s a good city for university students”
• “Leicester is a city that seamlessly blends its historical heritage with a vibrant multicultural atmosphere. Its cultural diversity, shopping and dining options, sports culture, and cultural attractions make it an exciting and engaging destination for both residents and visitors. Whether you're interested in exploring history, experiencing diverse cultures, or enjoying recreational activities, Leicester has something to offer for everyone”
• “Small but pretty, perfect for adolescents, a lot of places to hang out and meet new people”
• “I’ve found it to be a really good student city to live in, there’s many things close by so everything is accessible, things aren’t too expensive and it is really culturally vibrant”
• “Leicester, as a city, offers a diverse and multicultural atmosphere with a rich history and a vibrant social scene. The city centre is easily accessible from the university campus, providing ample opportunities for leisure, shopping, and exploring cultural events”
Posted on Tuesday 15th August 2023