Information for staff

Please go to the GOV.UK Transition webpage for the latest general information from the UK Government. Policy details of the UK points-based immigration system have also been published. A list of useful websites with the latest information for prospective and existing staff is available on our Links to further guidance page.

For staff at DMU, and anyone who lives with them, the Employee Assistance Programme offers support for everyday problems such as dealing with debt, coping with anxiety and how to keep fit alongside work. Visit the People and Organisational Development section on DMUconnect for more details.

Updated information for DMU staff on settled status for EU citizens, right to work, the points-based immigration system, loan scheme, health and travel insurance, data roaming and more, is available on our staff intranet, DMUconnect.

Brexit guidance for prospective staff

The United Kingdom (UK) left the European Union (EU) on 31 January 2020.

The EU settlement scheme is designed to offer EU, non-EU EEA and Swiss citizens and their eligible family members living in the UK before the end of the transition period (during which free movement continues) the opportunity to protect their residence in the UK after the transition period has ended. The scheme allows people to apply for permission to continue living and working in the UK, once the transition period ends on 1 January 2021. 

EU citizens, non-EU EEA, Swiss citizens and the eligible family members of all of them who are in the UK beyond 31 December 2020 will need to have immigration permission (either through the EU settlement scheme or through another category of the Immigration Rules as they will be from January 2021). Please note that those who enter the UK before 31 December 2020 will have until 30 June 2021 to apply.

Our staff are at the heart of DMU. We place being a truly inclusive university at the centre of everything we do and our campus is truly a diverse, inclusive and multicultural place. Post-Brexit we will remain an ambitious, global university and will continue to welcome staff from both the EU and the wider world. 




31 December 2020

End of transition period and free movement of EU/EEA and Swiss Citizens.

01 January 2021

New points-based immigration system introduced.

30 June 2021

Extended deadline for settled status applications for EU/EEA/Swiss citizens in the UK before 01 January 2021.

Below you will find relevant information and the University's responses to frequently asked questions regarding Brexit. Please click on the relevant section to find the latest University advice.

  1. What is Settled Status?

    You’ll usually get settled status if you’ve:

    • started living in the UK by 31 December 2020 AND
    • lived in the UK for a continuous 5-year period (known as ‘continuous residence’)

    Five years’ continuous residence means that for 5 years in a row you’ve been in the UK, the Channel Islands or the Isle of Man for at least 6 months in any 12 month period. The exceptions are:

    • one period of up to 12 months for an important reason (for example, childbirth, serious illness, study, vocational training or an overseas work posting)
    • compulsory military service of any length
    • time you spent abroad in the armed forces, or as the family member of someone in the armed forces

    You can stay in the UK as long as you like if you get settled status. You’ll also be able to apply for British citizenship if you’re eligible.

  2. What is Pre-settled status?

    If you do not have 5 years’ continuous residence when you apply, you’ll usually get pre-settled status. You must have started living in the UK by 31 December 2020.

    You can then apply to change this to settled status once you’ve got 5 years’ continuous residence. You must do this before your pre-settled status expires.

    Click here for further guidance about the scheme.

  3. When can I apply?

    The EU Settlement Scheme is open. You can apply now if you meet the criteria.

    The deadline for applying is 30 June 2021, but it is strongly advisable to apply as soon as possible.

    You can apply for settled or pre-settled status depending on when you make your application.

  4. How much will it cost to apply for the EU Settlement Scheme?

    The EU Settlement Scheme is free to apply.
  5. What will I need to apply for the scheme?

    You need a valid passport or national identity card. You also need to provide a digital photo of your face.

    If you’re not an EU, EEA or Swiss citizen, you can use any of the following:

    • valid passport
    • biometric residence card
    • biometric residence permit

    If you do not have any of these you may be able to use other evidence in certain situations.

  6. I am an EU citizen, what support will my family receive to apply for the EU Settlement Scheme?

    Family members living in the UK will be eligible to apply. You can apply for your family members via the government website.

  7. Who can I contact if I need help with an EU Settlement Scheme application?

    Contact the EU Settlement Resolution Centre.  You can contact them by phone on 0300 123 7379 (Monday to Friday (excluding bank holidays), 8am to 8pm, Saturday and Sunday, 9:30am to 4:30pm)

  8. What will I need to prove continuous residence?

    To be eligible for settled status, you usually need to have lived in the UK, the Channel Islands or the Isle of Man for at least 6 months in any 12-month period for 5 years in a row. You need to provide proof of this when you apply. Usually providing your National Insurance Number during the application process will confirm your UK Residence, however if you are asked to provide more information or are unsure of the evidence you can provide, please see the guidance on evidencing UK residence.

    If you’ve not lived here for 5 years in a row you may still be eligible for pre-settled status.

  9. I am an EU citizen and English is not my first language, what should I do?

    European language translation of the settled status guidance can be found on the UK government website.

  10. I am an EU citizen; how can I apply for UK citizenship?

    You will be required to hold a UK permanent resident status for 12 months through the EU settlement Scheme before making an application to apply for UK citizenship. 

    To apply you need a permanent resident document to prove your status.

    There is a fee associated with the UK permanent residence. The government website holds up to date guidance and fee information.

  11. How do I demonstrate to my employer I have the rights to work in the UK?

    There will be no change to right to work checks until 1 January 2021 and at present there is no requirement for us to ask EU, EEA or Swiss citizen staff to provide evidence of their status under the Settled Status scheme, or undertake retrospective checks.

    All existing EU, EEA or Swiss citizen staff have been informed in line with Government guidance that in order for them to live, work and study in the UK after free movement between the UK and EU has ended, it is necessary to apply for settled status or pre-settled status by 30 June 2021.  

    New employees can provide evidence of their right to work using any of the following until 1 January 2021:

    • their valid passport or national identity card if they’re an EU, EEA or Swiss citizen
    • their valid biometric residence card if they’re a non-EU, EEA or Swiss citizen family member
    • their status under the EU Settlement Scheme using the Home Office’s online right to work checking service.

    Any new EU, EEA or Swiss citizen staff who were resident in the UK before 31 December 2020, can continue to provide evidence of their right to work using the methods noted above until 30 June 2021. As of 1 October 2021, EU/EEA and Swiss nationals will be required to enter the UK with their passports, you will no longer be able to enter the UK using your national ID card.

  12. I am an EU citizen considering the move to the UK from January 2021, what is your guidance?

    On 31 January 2020, the United Kingdom (UK) departed from the European Union (EU) and entered a transition period which ends on 31 December 2020. As of January 2021, the freedom of movement that currently allows EU citizens the right to live and work will come to end. 

    The UK has introduced a UK points-based immigration system. The new system will treat EU and non-EU citizens equally.  Anyone coming to the UK to work, excluding Irish citizens, will need to apply for permission to work in the UK through this system in advance.

    For more information about the UK points-based immigration system, visit the government website.

  13. Will the points-based system apply if I live in the UK before 01 January 2021?

    The new system will not apply to EU citizens living in the UK by 31 December 2020. You and your family members are eligible to apply to the EU Settlement Scheme and have until 30 June 2021 to make an application.

    As a transition measure, EU citizens can continue to provide their passports and national identity cards as evidence of their right to work up until 30 June 2021.

  14. How do I demonstrate to my employer I have the rights to work in the UK after 01 January 2021?

    Any new EU, EEA or Swiss citizen staff who were not resident in the UK before 31 December 2020 (not qualifying to apply for settled or pre-settled status), will need to apply and successfully obtain a visa under the new points-based immigration system in advance of commencing employment.  For more information on the points-based immigration system please visit the government website.

  15. What do I need to be aware of if I wish to visit Europe after Brexit?

    If you want to visit Europe after Brexit, you should check your passport, health insurance, and driving documentation.  The below Government Link provide further information:

  16. Will my European Health Insurance Card still be valid?

    The European Health Insurance Card (EHIC) allows any EU citizen to access state medical care at a reduced cost or for free when travelling to a country within the EEA countries. There will be no changes to healthcare access for residents from the EU, Iceland, Liechtenstein, Norway and Switzerland living in the UK on or before 31 December 2020.
  17. Will my mobile/data roaming charges change?

    Up until 31 December 2020 EU citizens have the benefit from free mobile roaming. This could change after 1 January 2021. To prepare yourself, you can search the internet for information about UK mobile network providers or contact your phone provider to find out more.
  18. What do I need to drive in the EU after the UK leaves the EU?

    If you’re planning on driving in the EU, you may need some extra documents from 01 January 2020. See the advice on driving in Europe after Brexit.

    After Brexit, you may need an international driving permit (IDP) to drive in some countries.  If you are taking your own vehicle, you might also need a ‘green card’ or valid proof of insurance and a GB sticker.

  19. I am an EU citizen, where can I find more information about Leicester?

    Leicester is a vibrant ad multicultural city based in the heart of Leicester. For more information to help you plan where to eat or shop visit Leicester.

    We will endeavour to keep this page up to date, but the situation is changing frequently and therefore we would always encourage you to check the government and University Sector advice websites for the most up to date information which can be found under the support section below.