The Pharmaceutical Technologies Group has significant expertise to offer to the pharmaceutical, healthcare and food industries. Driven by innovation, we are involved in many aspects of high caliber research which directly contribute to the development of new products and services. Our expertise cover:
- Drug delivery - including bio-responsive polymers for diabetes and psoriasis and biodegradable polymeric nano/micro particles.
- Pharmaceutical product development - including in vitro dissolution testing, on-line Raman monitoring of dissolution process and computer simulations of drug dissolution.
- Materials science - including particle engineering, co-crystal screening/characterisation/property prediction; powder technology; amorphous materials; hydrogels and polymers.
- Manufacturing processes - continuous manufacturing of solid dose forms (inc. direct compression tableting and hot melt extrusion). Unit process, inc. batch crystallization; freeze-drying; micronization.
- Analytical science - terahertz imaging and spectroscopy; dielectric spectroscopy; thermal analysis; rheology; NIR and raman spectroscopy; atomic force microscopy and SEM.
- Medical diagnostics for skin cancer, e.g. melanoma.
- Biomaterials – including surface engineered titanium for orthopaedic applications.
- Microbiology - including microbial analysis (automated plate readers); infection control; disinfection and medical textiles.
- Process analytical technologies – through-vial impedance spectroscopy for lyophilization process understanding and control. Powder flow patterns analysis by optical and electrostatic techniques. Tablet inspection systems using intelligent laser speckle classification.
- Particle engineering – electro-hydrodynamic spraying of micro-particles, micro-fibres and micro-bubbles.
Our research is application driven and is directed towards the development of new technologies in healthcare and industry. We are able to solve specific business problems, help develop products and services, and provide job-specific training and work based learning in Pharmaceutical Quality by Design. By working with the Pharmaceutical Technologies Group your organisation could benefit from our research expertise, analytical services, bespoke consultancy and a range of collaborative R&D opportunities.
Our mission is to transfer our knowledge and technology, established in the field of pharmaceutical sciences, microbiology, chemistry, physics and engineering (in particular process engineering), to provide step changes in standards of product & process design and healthcare interventions. The emphasis is pharmaceutical, biomedical and healthcare, but with strong synergy to some other process industries such as the food industry.
For further information on the Pharmaceutical Technologies Group please contact:
Prof Geoff Smith
T: +44 (0)116 250 6298