The pharmaceutical technologies group has significant expertise to offer to the pharmaceutical, healthcare and food industries. Driven by innovation, we are involved in many aspects of high calibre research which directly contributes to the development of new products and services.
Our expertise covers:
- Drug delivery, including bio-responsive polymers for diabetes and psoriasis, biodegradable polymeric nano/micro particles, and microneedles for basal cell carcinoma
- Pharmaceutical product development, including in vitro dissolution testing, on-line Raman monitoring of dissolution process and computer simulations of drug dissolution
- Materials science, including particle engineering, cocrystal screening/characterisation/property prediction, powder technology, amorphous materials, hydrogels and polymers
- Manufacturing processes (batch crystallization, freeze-drying, micronization, tableting) and process analytical technologies
- Analytical science: terahertz imaging and spectroscopy, dielectric spectroscopy, thermal analysis, rheology, NIR and raman spectroscopy, atomic force microscopy and SEM
- Medical diagnostics for skin cancer, eg. melanoma
- Biomaterials, including surface engineered titanium for orthopaedic applications
- Microbiology, including microbial analysis (automated plate readers), infection control, disinfection and medical textiles.
Our research is application driven and is directed towards the development of new technologies in healthcare and industry. We are able to solve specific business problems, help develop products and services, and provide job-specific training and work based learning in Pharmaceutical Quality by Design. By working with the pharmaceutical technologies group your organisation could benefit from our research expertise, analytical services, bespoke consultancy and a range of collaborative research and development opportunities.
Led by: Dr Geoff Smith
T: 0116 250 6298