Skip to content

How you'll be supported if you need to self-isolate

When and how to self-isolate

If you have to self-isolate at any point during the term there will be support and advice available from the university.

You must self-isolate immediately if:

Self-isolation means:

  • Do not go to lectures, seminars or any other activity on the university campus – work from home if you can
  • Do not go on public transport or use taxis
  • Do not go out to get food and medicine – order it online or by phone, or ask someone to bring it to your home
  • Do not have visitors in your home, including friends and family – except for people providing essential care
  • Do not go out to exercise – exercise at home or in your garden, if you have one

If you are ever unsure, please check the NHS website for all of the latest guidance.

Letting the university know you are self-isolating

If you are a student who needs to self-isolate it is important you let the university know you will be unable to attend lectures and seminars for the duration of your self-isolation period.

You can do this by completing the self-isolation webform as soon as you are able.

As a staff member you must notify your line manager if you are self-isolating as soon as possible.

All personal data will be processed in line with UK data protection rules and principles to safeguard the privacy of students and staff who are either self-isolating and/or have confirmed they are positive for COVID-19.

Government and council support during self-isolation

The NHS provides support for everyday tasks during self-isolation, for example collecting food shopping and picking up medication. You can find out more about NHS Volunteer Responders on the NHS website. You can call 0808 196 3646 (8am-8pm, every day) to arrange help from a volunteer. 

If you need financial support while you self-isolate you can also apply to a government fund.

Leicester City Council also provides support for local residents who are self-isolating. You can email giving a contact telephone number and a member of staff will call you back between 9.30am and 4pm, Monday to Friday.

Support during isolation if you are living alone, looking after children or if you care for vulnerable people can be found by contacting:

For emergency mental health support provided by the local authority call 0116 295 3060.

Support and information within DMU


The HealthyDMU Hub is available to support your health and wellbeing at DMU. It will provide you with information about staying well, and how to book appointments with the Student Welfare Team.

During self-isolation it is important to look after your mental wellbeing as well as your physical wellbeing. All of DMU’s welfare services are also currently available online should you need to access them during self-isolation. This includes counsellingmindfulnessmasterclasses and SPA appointments.

The Healthy DMU Hub has lots of helpful resources to help support you, including information on how to stay active and how to connect with others.

Having enough food and medicine in stock

To prevent food and medicine shortages in the event of having to wait several days for an online delivery during self-isolation, we recommend that you always have a few days’ supply of food and medicine in stock for yourself. A good way of determining  how much of a supply you would need is to establish the average number of days it would take for an online delivery via the major supermarkets and pharmacies to arrive, or how long a family member/friend might take to do a food or medicine supply drop off. You will want enough supplies to cover this duration of time. Find out what food and medicine delivery options are available to you.

International students

UK Government guidelines are in place to help manage the risks to public health from coronavirus (Covid-19) and currently require those arriving from most international destinations to self-isolate for 10 days. If you’re travelling from an exempt country, you will not need to self-isolate; you can check which countries are exempt on the Gov website.

All of the information on how the university will support you during self-isolation can be found in our self-isolation guidance for international students document.

Leicester City Council has produced coronavirus information in a wide range of different languages. Please share these with any students you think may benefit from them.

Good Neighbours Network

We’re currently seeking student volunteers to be part of our Good Neighbours Network to safely offer support to others living in halls of residence during the pandemic.

Whether it’s practical help such as shopping, ensuring students are aware of DMU’s support services or just being a listening ear, the Good Neighbours Network aims to create a new peer support community.

DMU Local is co-ordinating the new project which will involve teams across the university such as welfare, student support, finance and more.

Safety is paramount and the focus of the student role will be on sharing information about what help is available at DMU for their peers, so they are aware of where they can get help if they need it. The DMU Good Neighbours volunteers will be supported by DMU Local and other student support services at DMU to self-organise a community of support within their living spaces.

Volunteers will receive full training from DMU Local and work with students who may be in need of extra support and information.

To register email or you can sign up to be a Good Neighbours programme volunteer on MyGateway.