Your teaching and learning
Your education is our top priority. At DMU, it is so important to us that you receive a high-quality teaching and learning experience in the safest way possible, with enhanced study and technical support to ensure you have all the tools you need to excel.
Community is really important to us and we’re a very close-knit group at DMU, both colleagues and students. This extends beyond our lectures and seminars and is about being part of the wider scholarly community.
The best of both worlds
What your learning and teaching will look like
While lockdown restrictions have lifted and things are getting back to normal, the national picture is still uncertain due to the ongoing challenge of limiting Covid-19 transmission. That’s why our plan for teaching and learning provision in 2021-22 has been created to be future-proof. We are focused on ensuring a consistent, high-quality student experience, maximising face-to-face and on-campus activities where possible but, crucially, avoiding disruption for you should national Covid-19 restrictions have to be reintroduced, or if you are ‘pinged’ and have to self-isolate.
From September 2021, we will focus our face-to-face teaching in small environments such as seminars and workshops, while keeping large teaching sessions online through a mix of live and pre-recorded lectures. There are many benefits to this type of hybrid learning – click below to watch our explainer video to find out more.
DMU Base Camp
Supporting your learning next academic year and beyond
We’ve also developed an interactive course to boost your learning experience at DMU and help you take advantage of all of the resources available. DMU 'Base Camp' covers key elements including teaching and learning, time management, digital skills, assessment and good academic practices and feedback. It will help you to:
- Understand what skills are needed to be a successful learner
- Explore opportunities to develop digital skills to enable learning
- Reflect on your strengths and weaknesses and take action
- Recognise the services that are available to help you in your studies.
The course will be available throughout the year to complete via your Blackboard Faculty Community Site. DMU Base Camp is a great way to develop your confidence in studying and achieve the best possible learning outcomes.
The fact that our tutors have created a sense of community for us online really shows their passion for the subject and how much they care about student wellbeing.
Our teaching and learning technologies will help you make the most of digital learning and you’ll receive all the support you need to get started.
Through DMU Replay, you can get anytime access to recorded audio-visual content and re-watch your lectures as many times as you like, while MS Teams will enable you to take part in engaging, interactive live sessions with your fellow students and lecturers.
Find out more about the IT and online learning resources we offer, and how we can support you to use this technology confidently to perform at your best, in the Your DMU IT Handbook.
Library and Learning Services
With a huge range of study spaces, our Library facilities cater for different requirements, and are open for extended hours, with a friendly, knowledgeable team on hand to help. Our Library and Learning Services provide enhanced support and online resources, including:
Technology and software support
Finding and referencing sources
- Get advice on effective literature searching to make the best use of books and other library resources, with subject-specific resources in handy subject guides from our subject librarians.
- Learn how to follow good academic practice, by citing and referencing appropriately and using Reference Management Software, with our referencing guide.
- Search for and locate library resources for your course, including digital and printed books, journal articles and database collections.
- Hone your academic skills for your assignments with workshops and tutorials through our CLaSS team.
- Develop your understanding of maths and statistics through our Maths Learning Centre.
- Benefit from mentoring opportunities to support your learning and development.
- Access a vast array of online training courses through LinkedIn Learning, and get help with academic writing and maths via Studiosity.
For further information and support, join our library live chat sessions or submit a query through JustAsk or our 24/7 LibChat.