Information for students

If you've applied to study at DMU this September, please visit our Information for applicants page.

If you have a financial question, please visit our broader student finance FAQs.

Jump to section:
General queries
Accessing online learning
Asessments, exams and graduations
No detriment policy
Student support

General queries

Is the university open?

In order to help prevent the spread of coronavirus, all teaching has been moved online and the campus is now closed (apart from essential services). We want to reassure you that the vast majority of university provision, including teaching and student support services, remains accessible to all of our students through online and virtual channels. To help you to know who to contact for advice, we have published a full list of university support services which are available online.

Are buildings still open on campus?

All our campus buildings are now closed (apart from the Security Office and halls of residences).

How will I know when I can come back onto campus?

DMU plans to reopen on Monday, October 5. Large-scale lectures will remain online and based on current information, we will at least need to blend online and campus-based teaching, and socially distance students and staff when on campus.

We’re continually reviewing what the evolving restrictions will mean for smaller-scale and more interactive teaching – including face-to-face workshops, seminars, tutorials, lab work, practice-based teaching events, etc – and will update you as soon as we’re able to.

Do I need to stay in my accommodation in Leicester or can I go home to my family?

The UK Government’s advice and instruction is that students remaining at university in England should now stay where they are and not attempt to travel home to their permanent residences. If you are living in student halls, or private rented accommodation, you should remain there and stay indoors while current restrictions are in force.

To support those of you remaining in Leicester (unless this is your permanent address), we have set up a Facebook group (COVID-19 UPDATES: Students staying on campus) which has more than 1,400 student members already. If you’re not on Facebook and prefer to receive information via email, don’t worry, you can contact us direct via

If you are one of these students, and you’ve not already done so, please complete this COVID-19 student form so that we can know who is remaining in Leicester (unless this is your permanent address) during this period. The information you provide is crucial for us to know of any specific requirements you may have so that we can try to signpost appropriate support services (for example, students who have declared a disability, international students, or students who live with people in high-risk groups, such as grandparents or family members with suppressed immune systems).

Can I get a refund on my accommodation payments?

Any students in our halls of residences – Bede Hall and Waterway Gardens – will not have to pay any outstanding rent for their third university term (after Easter).

This means that whether you have left campus or are staying here, you no longer have to worry about how you will pay for your accommodation. All we ask is that if you have left already please let us know ASAP on

We are aware, however, that there are many other students staying in privately run halls which have not had such assurances. There are many private providers and they are taking different decisions when it comes to refund policies in these circumstances. As such, we urge students staying with any of them to check their provider’s websites – or contact them directly – for full details on whether they will be entitled to refunds. We are not, unfortunately, able to compel those providers to issue refunds and so any decision is made solely by them. Irrespective of this, we have contacted all known large-scale providers and are encouraging them to follow the example we have set and help alleviate anxieties at this time.

Where can I find the latest information on DMU events?

The university has taken the decision to cancel non-essential events. For a full list of these cancellations, see here.

The safety and wellbeing of our students and staff is of the utmost importance, so we call on everyone to follow the stringent guidelines on social distancing and restrictions on non-essential movement.

What should I do if I think I have COVID-19?

If you have either a high temperature or a new, continuous cough, the national advice is to stay home for seven days. For more information, please visit the NHS website here.

We would also ask that you let your personal tutor know at the earliest opportunity. We understand there is a feeling of anxiety at this time, but we would encourage anyone displaying symptoms to try and remain calm, act responsibly and think about those around them.

What do I do if my housemates show symptoms of COVID-19?

If you live with someone who has the symptoms of COVID-19, which are a high temperature or a new, continuous cough, you'll need to stay at home for 14 days from the day the first person in the home started having symptoms. For more information, please visit the NHS website here.

I need to move out of or pick up my belongings from my accommodation. How can I do this?

Recently, the UK government issued new guidance to set out a cautious roadmap to ease existing lockdown measures in a safe and measured way. You should, where possible, delay moving to a new residence while lockdown measures are in place, but if moving is unavoidable, you must follow advice on staying away from others to minimise the spread of the virus during the move. The UK government has advised landlords to extend current accommodation contracts with students, to allow them to observe and comply with these guidelines. DMU has allowed for this at both Bede Hall and Waterway Gardens. If you are staying with a private provider you should contact them directly for details of their position on this. 

While all of us should continue to stay at home as much as possible, the government is now allowing students who have previously left their university accommodation to travel back to recover their belongings. We want you to be able to do so in the near future, but we must continue to follow government guidance covering this activity, including social distancing guidelines at all times, and ask that you follow the precautions laid out by the government to stay safe outside your home.

The ongoing safety of all of our students and staff is of paramount importance, so we're instructing students that you should not return to your accommodation without prior approval from DMU accommodation staff.

You will have already received an email outlining our plans to manage this process, and we will soon be issuing further information on booking time slots to collect belongings from your accommodation and how you can return library books, so please keep checking your email and other online channels.

We also ask all students in non-DMU accommodation to contact your hall provider for details on how you can get access to collect your belongings in the safest way possible. Please DO NOT travel to the accommodation without notifying the hall provider first.

I’m a private provider and refunding students would lose me a lot of money so your encouragement for me to do this is unhelpful

We appreciate that there is no simple solution to this situation and you are in no way compelled to act on our encouragement. But we are aware, being in regular contact with many thousands of our students, of the extent to which having to pay for accommodation they no longer need is causing additional distress and anxiety right now. Many students are also unable to work so their income is substantially reduced. For us, the welfare of our students is a top priority. The UK Government has provided advice for what landlords and tenants should do during the COVID-19 lockdown.

If the third semester is taught online, can I pause my studies and complete my degree next year?

Students are able to take a leave of absence in term three. However, they will need to carefully consider the long-term financial impact of this.

Continued student loan eligibility and tuition fee liability is based on a student’s reported last date of attendance/engagement. Depending on when the leave of absence begins, the student may still be liable for their third term’s tuition fees (50 per cent).

Maintenance payments are calculated on the basis that a student will complete the academic year. Therefore, if a student is not registered for the full period of the academic year (based on term dates), the student’s maintenance loan amounts are recalculated based on the last date of attendance. If a student has received an overpayment, the SLC will require the overpayment back.

We are waiting for updated guidance from the UK Government and Student Loan Company (SLC) on how they will adapt to the COVID-19 situation. However, under normal circumstances, if a student takes a leave of absence their return to study will mean they will use up an additional year of funding normally referred to as a ‘gift year’. If they have already used their gift year (for example they repeated Level 4), they may not be funded for the extra year of study.

It will also need to be agreed with the faculty as to when a student will return to their studies. This will determine whether they can they return at the exact point they left or if they will they need to repeat the whole semester or year. Again, this will have an impact on funding availability and fee liability.

Students who are considering taking a leave of absence should contact our Student Finance and Welfare team. Due to pending decisions and guidance from DMU and SLC, we are unable to provide firm details at this stage, but can outline the situation and options.

When will I receive my results?

Results for undergraduate (UG) and postgraduate taught (PGT) students will be released on a staggered basis from Monday 6 July to Thursday 16 July via your MyDMU dashboard. To find out more, please click here.

How can I return my library books?

Firstly, the books you have on loan from the DMU library have been renewed until 28 September 2020, or until your library expiry date, whichever is sooner. You will not be fined for items that should have been returned between the closure of the university and the new expiry date. Check your library record to discover when your books are due back.

A designated section of the Kimberlin Library (main foyer) will be open for you to return your library books from Tuesday 2 June. From this date, a staffed book return service will be open weekdays from 10.30am to 4pm.

If you are returning in the autumn, you can hold onto current library items if necessary and return them when the library reopens.

If you have any questions about this, please email or visit

Accessing online learning

I am unsure about the changes that are taking place for my module and degree programme. Who should I contact?

In the first instance you should consult Blackboard. If anything is unclear, contact your module leader for clarification on questions relating to the module that you are studying. Concerns relating to your programme should be directed to your programme leader.

I am a postgraduate student. How will COVID-19 impact on my studies and assessments?

Teaching is continuing in an online format following the Easter break in line with the postgraduate timetable. We are still working on the basis that postgraduate students will complete their studies in line with the expected duration of their degree programme.

How can I access online lectures and teaching material?

Modules leaders will contact you about how you can access material through announcements on Blackboard. There should be introductory information on Blackboard for all programmes, and you can expect this to be added to regularly so that you are as prepared for study as possible.

I'm having technical issues transitioning to online learning because of computer access or slow internet connection. What can I do?

We know that not everyone will have reliable and fast internet connection wherever they are, making online learning as well as the submission of coursework via Turnitin difficult. If you are not able to access materials or teaching online and are not able to submit work online from your location, please consult with your personal tutor or module leader.

Will I get a refund for the lectures or seminars I have not been able to attend?

The university is working hard to ensure that you have access to the necessary resources that enable you to complete your studies.

I haven’t been able to use certain facilities due to the pandemic. Can I get a refund?

The university’s position on these matters is influenced by UK Government policy and advice by Public Health England. The university has worked to ensure that students are able to complete their studies and that learning outcomes are met. While there has been a shift in terms of delivery, teaching has continued and many mitigating measures have been put in place, such as access to additional resources.

Will I still have access to the facilities and equipment I need if you move to online teaching?

The university is working hard to ensure that you have access to the necessary resources to enable you to complete your studies. If you are not able to access materials or teaching online and are not able to submit work online from your location, please consult with your personal tutor or module leader, who will provide you with academic advice about completing your module. Please consult Blackboard for specific information. For more information about creative or practical subjects, or subjects with specific software, please see the FAQ below.

Is the library closed and how can I access study materials?

All of DMU’s library and learning spaces (the Kimberlin Library, Hugh Aston Law Library, Eric Wood Learning Zone and Greenhouse) are closed for the foreseeable future. We really wanted to keep some form of study space open but, in light of the measures announced by the Prime Minister, we have closed the campus (apart from essential services). 

You can still access online resources (e-books, e-journals and other digital content) and learning and study skills support via the library website. Learning Services (CLaSS, Maths Learning Centre, librarians, Digital Partners) online tutorials, workshops and resources are available here. If you need help and advice, use the online enquiry and live chat services, available seven days a week. 

A designated section of the Kimberlin Library (main foyer) will be open for you to return your library books from Tuesday 2 June. From this date, a staffed book return service will be open weekdays from 10.30am to 4pm.

If you are returning in the autumn, you can hold onto current library items if necessary and return them when the library reopens.

If you have any questions about this, please email or visit

I study a creative or practical subject and I need access to the studios and facilities for assignments. What should I do?

Since some students will not have been able to complete their assignments or assessments due to the closure of certain facilities, marking processes will be adjusted to take this into account. Your module leader and academic tutors will provide you with academic advice about completing your module. Students are advised to check Blackboard, where specific details will be shared as soon as possible.

We know that many of you require specific software and we will endeavour to keep these available, and if access to software has a negative impact we will ensure that this is taken into account.

AV loans is currently closed and I rely on this equipment. How will I complete my assignments?

Any course that would usually require students to make use of AV equipment to complete their assignments has been amended and marking processes have been adjusted to take this into account. Students are advised to check Blackboard, where specific details will be shared as soon as possible.

What is LinkedIn Learning and how can I access it?

We are working to make LinkedIn Learning available to all DMU students as soon as possible. It provides access to more than 15,000 video tutorials supporting learning in software, creative and business skills. Access is personalised and granted through your DMU login. It can keep track of your course history and recent activity, and you can download content to watch offline too. There is more information available here.

Can I access Adobe Creative Cloud remotely?

Yes. To further support our students and staff during this transition period to home studying and homeworking, Adobe has granted us temporary at-home access to the Creative Cloud suite.

The Adobe suite will be available until Monday 6 July 2020. We are very grateful for this offer as it helps our students and staff to continue their work remotely.

Adobe has provided these instructions on how to gain access to Creative Cloud and its services. Please read and follow the guidance carefully.

If you experience any problems accessing the Creative Cloud suite please contact Adobe directly through its HelpX page.

I need textbooks for my revision/assignments which are not available online, what can I do?

The library operates a ‘digital first’ policy and will buy an eBook or ejournal if they are available. You can access 874,849 books in e-format and 52,844 electronic journals through our digital library search.

The library search also provides access to a wide variety of databases covering every subject. We’ll provide electronic copies of books when these are requested. We also automatically purchase in demand items so you can access straight away. Not all texts are available in e-versions however but it is possible to digitise chapters from these. To find out more you can ask any questions through Just Ask or speak to your subject librarian, details of which are available through our subject guides.

You can also find lots more resources here.

I want to get in touch with my lecturer but I haven’t had a reply. What should I do?

Students should expect a response to an email within five days. That response could be an ‘out-of-office’ message, in which case it would be appropriate to contact a module leader or programme leader if the query is specific to the course. The response may also be simply to acknowledge receipt of the query and to request further time to be able to respond to it fully.

If the query is urgent and the lecturer does not respond, students should contact the Faculty Associate Professor Student Experience (APSE) who will be able to find out the reasons for the delay and, if appropriate, pass the query onto another member of the academic team.

The email contacts for APSEs are as follows:

What help is available to me for studying online?

All students will have available a wide range of specialist resources and subject-specific software, collaborative tools and digital platforms, support for peer-to-peer learning, student support around careers and placements, health and wellbeing, finance, library and learning resources, social media to build and develop networks, communities and friendship groups, as well as a wide range of social activities delivered appropriately within the current restrictions, including music, sport and student societies.


What about my placement, is that still going ahead?

Please liaise in the first instance with your placement tutor.

I’m currently on placement in the UK. What should I do?

If you are on a placement year, your main point of contact is your placement tutor. You will already have received communication directly from them. Stay in touch with them if you have questions or need advice. You can also contact the placement team based in your faculty. 

Students on HLS placements should look out for information sent by their link tutor or usual placement academic contact, and the HLS placement team. 

For general, faculty-specific enquiries about placements, please contact: 

I’m a student nurse and I have to carry out a set number of hours on placement to pass my course. Will I get an extension to complete these hours?

For programme-specific placements please contact your placement tutor.

How can DMU help with securing placements, as it’s becoming difficult to find opportunities as some employers have paused their hiring process?

We recommend seeking the help of your faculty-based placement team, which can help you with identifying placements you could apply for, writing a good application, and preparing for the specific types of interviews and assessments used by different employers.

It is important to get this personalised and specialist support, rather than try to apply on your own. Employers have moved their application processes onto virtual platforms and therefore you will benefit from preparation and guidance on how to succeed in these online processes.

To get in touch with your faculty-based placement team, contact:

Will you accept remote working placements in this current situation, to maintain social distancing?

In principle, remote working placements can be included, and many placements in 2020-21 may start on a remote-working basis due to the ongoing social distancing rules. This will be determined by the employer and approved by DMU on a case-by-case basis. All placements need to go through an approval process before they are confirmed, so if there are any issues with your proposed placement these would be addressed at this stage.


I am currently on a DMU Apprenticeship programme, what if my working pattern or situation changes?

For any changes in circumstances, first speak to your employer, who should contact to complete a Change in Notification form.

Am I able to continue on my apprenticeship if my working circumstances change?

Once your employer has submitted the Change in Notification form, DMU will evaluate your personal circumstance to determine if you can continue your apprenticeship, or pause temporarily.

What should I do if I’m struggling with my apprenticeship due to personal circumstances?

Please contact your programme administrator or programme leader to discuss a pause in learning and the additional support available.

Assessments, exams, and graduations

I have exams and assessments to complete soon. What about those?

Students should continue to work on coursework assessments that have already been set unless otherwise instructed by their module leader and academic staff. In light of advice to avoid large group gatherings, we are reviewing the exam schedule and are making plans to move our exams online. The university is liaising with relevant professional bodies on these matters. Module leaders and academic staff will contact students regarding any alternative assessments for the May examination period. Please regularly check your emails and university communications.

In addition to guidance provided by your module leader in the Blackboard shell, additional exams guidance has been developed here.

How will I complete assessments online?

In addition to guidance provided by your module leader in the Blackboard shell, additional exams guidance has been developed here. Please ensure you read this carefully before you take each online exam. This guidance applies only to those exams and tests being taken online. You will have had information about this from your module leaders and module tutors, but if you are in any doubt, please consult them again.

How will online assessments work if I am in a different time zone?

Where an online assessment is necessary, they will take place over a 24-hour period. This will enable you to complete the assessment at a time that is suitable for you, no matter which time zone you live in. Please note that these exams will not take longer to complete than the exams which would have otherwise taken place. In addition to guidance provided by your module leader in the Blackboard shell, additional exams guidance has been developed here.

How can I complete an online assessment if I do not have access to suitable study space?

The university recognises that students are likely to be studying in a variety of circumstances and in different time zones. These are exceptional circumstances and therefore consideration will be given to these issues. If you have a concern about this then please contact your module leader. In addition to guidance provided by your module leader in the Blackboard shell, additional exams guidance has been developed here.

How can I complete online assessments if I do not have reliable internet access?

In some cases, students may not have reliable internet access. Please contact your module leader in the first instance if you face such a situation and they will be able to discuss alternative arrangements. In addition to guidance provided by your module leader in the Blackboard shell, additional exams guidance has been developed here.

Why should I continue studying if there are no face-to-face exams?

University education is about the exploration of learning and the development and acquisition of skills to successfully complete your studies and provide a firm foundation for your future. It is therefore critical that you continue to engage with your learning so that you are able to develop your knowledge and skills. This is, in many ways, more important at this current time than ever, as we all learn to work in different ways.

I normally perform better in exams. How will you take this into consideration?

All students learn in a variety of ways and will prefer different types of assessments based on their learning styles. Your degree programme will have a range of assessments that take into consideration these issues. Assessments will always be aligned to standards, such as those of professional bodies.

I am unsure about the changes that are taking place in my module and degree programme. Who should I contact?

In the first instance you should consult Blackboard. If anything is unclear, contact your module leader for clarification on questions relating to the module that you are studying. Concerns relating to your programme should be directed to your programme leader.

What is this no detriment policy you have introduced and how does it affect me?

Since we moved to online learning, it has been clear that running exams and assessments in a way which is both fair, accessible and in line with national guidance on staying at home is a complex challenge. So, we have decided to implement a ‘no detriment’ policy. This is a method that recognises the value of marks you have already achieved for assessed work. More information can be found in the 'no detriment' FAQ section below.

Which file types should I use to submit documents like assignments etc.?

DMU uses Office 365 and so we ask students to use either Office 365 file types (Word, Excel, Powerpoint and so on) or PDFs. Other file types (such as those used by Apple, like Pages, Keynote or Numbers) are not compatible.

How do I request an extension during this period?

From now until 31 May, any deadline that is not related to a timed exam has already been extended by two weeks. If your upcoming deadline is soon and you are ready to submit your work, don’t worry—you can do so at any time up until the new extension date.

Where you had already been notified of some alterations to deadlines, the two-week extension operates from the original due date and not the new one.

Please check Blackboard from for the exact submission dates.

If you are still unable to submit coursework by the extended deadline because of extenuating circumstances, you should contact the relevant module leader before the deadline date to request an extension.

If your circumstances are such that an extension of 14 days would not be sufficient, or if you feel that, despite being granted an extension of up to 14 days, your performance in a piece of coursework has been seriously impaired, you may apply formally to your faculty panel for a deferral of assessment of coursework. You will have to fill in the deferral request form and submit to your faculty office via email only. Students who have followed this protocol will not be required to provide evidence to support their deferral request. We strongly recommend that all students consult their Student Advice Centre to discuss their circumstances before submitting a deferral request.

How do I request a coursework or exam deferral during this period?

Revised assessment arrangements and deadlines are now being published on Blackboard.

Students who have faced extenuating circumstances are required to complete a deferral request form. Deferrals will be considered for students who have notified the university and submitted a deferral request to their Faculty Student Advice Centre by email:

Students requesting deferrals for this assessment period will not be required to provide third-party evidence. The university recognises that many services have been impacted by COVID-19 and it would be unreasonable to expect detailed evidence at this time. We strongly recommend that all students consult their Student Advice Centre to discuss their circumstances before submitting a deferral request. 

All students granted deferrals will be required to take their assessments at the next available opportunity. These are currently planned for August 2020 for standard undergraduate and postgraduate programmes, but please consult your faculty. 

Why is the university progressing with assessments and alternative arrangements for exams at this time when students cannot access physical resources?

The university needs to be able to assess your performance to be able to make a judgement with regard to the knowledge and skills that you have acquired. Exams are only one way of undertaking this task. Programme teams are therefore evaluating the appropriate range of assessments that are necessary to judge your performance levels.

Please remember that the assessments that take place in the summer are only one of a range of assessments over the duration of your studies. The alternative assessments that are being put in place will take into consideration access issues.

I disagree with the way my exams are being run – what can I do?

We completely understand that students are feeling anxiety and uncertainty about how their studies will conclude this year, given the restrictions we are all now observing. The main message we want to convey is that no student will be penalised for not having access to equipment, practical work environments or any other circumstance beyond which they have no control.

We are working hard as a team to ensure that exams and assessments are remodelled and rethought to work in an entirely different education environment and we understand that it is frustrating for students to either not have enough information or to not feel satisfied with changes to their course.

The responsibility of the university, though, is to make sure you complete your studies to the best of your ability. In the circumstances we are now in, our solutions are simply the best possible way we can achieve that. As such, we are extending assignment deadlines, switching to online assessments, and at all times, informing students about any changes as soon as possible through Blackboard.

If you do feel you want further clarification, and if Blackboard does not have enough information, you should contact your personal tutor.

I’m in my final year. If the university is closed, will I still get my degree this year?

As things stand, this will not prevent you from receiving your results, the date of which will be confirmed imminently, after which we plan to issue your Higher Education Achievement Report as soon as possible to provide proof of your award outcome.

Will I be able to graduate in the summer?

DMU has decided to postpone its July graduation ceremonies in recognition of the current situation, but we can assure our graduating students from this summer that there will be an opportunity to attend your graduation ceremony. The safety and wellbeing of our students and staff is our priority, and as soon as we are in a position to confirm rescheduled dates we will do so and begin to issue invitations to you. We continue to be guided by changing government advice in relation to holding large-scale events indoors, and this website will be updated with new dates once these are confirmed.

Will the degree I gain this year be worth less than those gained in other years?

We want to ensure that a DMU degree, achieved in the current climate, carries the same weight as at any other point and represents a student's achievement fairly. For this reason, DMU students are still required to complete and pass their assessments and exams to enable us to assess their capabilities. The adjustments we are making to exams, submission, and marking, including extensions and our ‘no detriment’ approach, are in this spirit.

How is DMU going to deal with disabled students who are entitled to extra time in phase tests and exams?

Module leaders have access to information about adjustments that disabled students need, and therefore should be able to ensure that adjustments are put in place as required.

No detriment policy

What is the actual process for the no detriment policy?

Please refer to the process chart.

How do I calculate my results?

Your results will be calculated for you at the relevant exam board. This is because it is not possible to calculate the benchmark until all marks are submitted and ratified at exam boards. The purpose of no detriment is to look for the best outcome for students while maintaining academic standards and ensuring learning outcomes.

I’m on a course regulated by a professional, statutory and regulatory body (PSRB) and I have been told the no detriment policy does not apply to me. Why is this?

Each PSRB has taken an individual decision on this issue. Where they have decided against no detriment, this is because there is a professional, statutory, or regulatory issue. Please consult your programme for further information.

How much assessment is needed before 30 March to create a benchmark?

Please see the process chart for details on the application of the no detriment policy.

I am a first-year student, will the no detriment policy apply to me?

Please see the process chart for details on the application of the no detriment policy.

Can the no detriment policy negatively impact me?

No, as long as you complete and pass any assessments or exams remaining after 30 March, the no detriment policy will apply.

How is the benchmark calculated?

Please see the process chart for details on the application of the no detriment policy.

When will I know my final grade?

Your results will be published in line with faculty dates – these will be communicated to you in due course.

Am I able to appeal my benchmark grade?

No, the no detriment policy is based on work completed and therefore is not open to appeal.

I am resitting a module, how does this impact me?

As long as you pass the resit, you will be eligible for consideration under the policy.

I did badly in my first assessments as I didn’t cope well with them and I normally do much better in the last assessment. I am now worried about my performance as the last assessment has been changed.

Please see the process chart to check if the no detriment will apply at module level. Unfortunately, in the circumstances we have not been able to account for all eventualities, but as far as possible exam boards will take circumstances into account.

My original deadline was before 30 March but for personal reasons I was given an extension and my deadline was therefore after 30 March. Does the policy apply?

As long as students are eligible, the policy will apply. Please see the process chart for details on the application of the no detriment policy.

I am a PGT student and would like to know which semester will provide the benchmark for my studies?

Please see the process chart for further details, however, in general it is likely that semester one will provide your benchmark.

Why is the no detriment approach different for undergraduate and PGT courses? Why can’t you take into account my semester two assessments completed before 30 March to set a benchmark?

If 40% of your assessment within your semester two modules have been completed then the benchmark will be set there.

I am a student and have deferred work, what will happen to my benchmark?

We will apply the process at the exams board stage in order to establish your benchmark.

Will any work deferred from after 30 March have no detriment applied?

As long as you complete and pass your deferred work you will be eligible for the no detriment process.

If I have deferrals from before 30 March what would be used as my benchmark?

Please see the process chart for a description of how we will arrive at your benchmark.

I am an undergraduate student and have a failed a module in semester one, what happens to my benchmark?

Please see the process chart for a description of how we will arrive at your benchmark. This will take place at your exam board, so if you have been reassessed and passed the assessment the process will apply.

I am a master’s student and have failed a module in semester one, what happens to my benchmark?

Please see the process chart for a description of how we will arrive at your benchmark. This will take place at your exam board, so if you have been reassessed and passed the assessment the process will apply.

I am a PGT student and want to interrupt my studies – when I restart will no detriment be applied?

No, the no detriment policy has been developed to take account of the disruption students have experienced during the end of the teaching period and the exams period in the 2019-20 academic year.

I am an undergraduate student and want to interrupt my studies, can I still have no detriment when I start back?

No, the no detriment policy has been developed to take account of the disruption students have experienced during the end of the teaching period and the exams period in the 2019-20 academic year.

I am studying at a partner provider – will I get no detriment?

Yes, please speak to your provider for further details.

I am studying a distance learning programme at a partner college – will I get no detriment?

The no detriment policy has been developed primarily in response to the disruption to studies and preparation for assessments and exams caused by the need to close the campus and move teaching online. For programmes that have been developed as online provision, this disruption is less likely. Please speak to your provider.

I am an Art and Design Foundation Diploma student, does no detriment apply to me?

All students who complete work due after 30 March and pass are eligible for consideration under the policy.

How does the no detriment policy work for modules with one assignment worth 100%?

This depends whether the work was submitted before or after 30 March, so please see the process chart for further details.

Why will the no detriment policy not help me if I’ve failed an assessment due to lockdown?

To ensure the robustness of your qualification, we need to ensure all students meet the learning outcomes of their programme. A failed assessment means you have not met the module learning outcomes and therefore the no detriment policy cannot be applied.

Student support

For a full list of the student support services that are still operating and how to contact them, click here

I need welfare support, who can I contact?

Unfortunately, due to large scale staff absences, we are not able to maintain a normal Student Welfare service. From now on, all appointments will now take place by phone or online, for example, through Skype. All enquiries should first be directed to or phone by calling +44 (0) 116 366 4443. Please remember sources of support and information on wellbeing are available on the Healthy DMU hub

I have assignment deadlines, but need time to focus on childcare because of school closures. What should I do?

Any student who is struggling to meet assignment deadlines should contact their personal tutor or module leader and explain their circumstances. Should students need to request an extension, they can do this within the usual process.

How can I get in touch with De Montfort Students’ Union?

To ensure the health and safety of all students and DSU staff, the Campus Centre Building is closed, so there is currently no access to SU's Lounge, SUpplies, the DSU Reception and the Membership Office. However, DSU will still continue to be available to support you online via its website, phone, email and on its social media channels. Please see below for contact details: 

How can I contact the Student Gateway services?

Although DMU's reception counter services are currently closed, you can continue to call the Student Gateway Services in the normal way via phone on +44 (0)116 257 7595 (by selecting the relevant service from the menu) or by email at – visit the COVID-19 Information and Advice website for more information. You can also still book telephone appointments via myGateway. A staff member will call you at the allocated time on the phone number(s) stored in DMU's student records system. Please make sure your personal contact details are up to date by checking the Personal Details tile in myDMU.

Can I still receive career support for placements and job applications?

The DMU Works Careers, Placements and Student Enterprise teams will continue to support you remotely during this period. DMU Works will be promoting online events and resources via email and social media. You can also use MyGateway to book a phone or e-guidance careers, placement and student enterprise appointment, and access the DMU Works Skills Hub for careers resources, ideas, development programmes and CV support. Make sure you pay close attention to employer job pages for any changes to application deadlines or interviews. Like everyone else, employers are having to quickly adapt their arrangements. 

Some useful contact details for careers support are: 

  • T: +44 (0) 116 257 7595 (select number 4 for careers)

How can I get in touch with the Academic Support Office?

The Academic Support Office will also remain open remotely during normal office hours and will provide the same service levels as detailed in the General Regulations and Procedures Affecting students and our policies. You can contact the ASO via email

All Student Panels will be suspended, which are the University Complaints Committee, Disciplinary Panels including Fitness to Practise Panels, Academic Offence Panels, and Complaints. All investigations into Stage 2 and Stage 3 complaints will be suspended. Academic appeals and examination deferrals will continue to be progressed but it is unlikely the team will be able to deal with requests within the usual timeframes.

Please be advised that the Academic Support Office is currently experiencing a high volume of enquiries. Please read the FAQs on this page carefully, as you may find the answer you seek here.

Is the DMU Prayer Room open?

The DMU Brothers’ Prayer Room, Sisters’ Prayer Room, ablution facilities, Chapel, Breathing Space and Sharing Space in Portland Building are closed completely to DMU staff, students and visitors until further notice. No congregational prayer, individual prayer, services or group activity will be taking place in this area. Ongoing spiritual support information for a range of faiths can be found here.

What will happen if I’m in the middle of a disciplinary or similar investigation?

The university has decided to suspend all activity on open disciplinary and Fitness to Practise cases, and security investigations, with immediate effect. Current student status will remain the same and investigations will resume as soon as is practically possible. Stage 2 and Stage 3 complaints will also be suspended as staff capacity is currently compromised in this area. This does not mean we will not respond appropriately to transgressive behaviour, however, and the university may suspend a student where suspension is deemed appropriate. The university is committed to ensuring student services are robust and thorough, and depleted staffing will not impact this at the current time.

If you are suspected of conducting an academic offence, you will be called to a meeting with your faculty Academic Practice Officer (APO) so that the alleged offence can be discussed with you. This meeting will be held virtually, at a suitable date/time. As per the usual process, if the APO considers you guilty, they will impose an appropriate penalty. If your offence is a second offence or is otherwise deemed serious, it will be referred to the Academic Offences Panel. Face-to-face Academic Offences panel meetings have been suspended from the week beginning 23 March 2020, and will be resumed as soon as is practically possible (and will likely be conducted virtually). Academic appeals and examination deferrals will continue to be progressed but students should be aware that it is unlikely the team will be able to deal with requests within the usual timeframes.

How can I contact my Student Advice Centre?

All of our faculty Student Advice Centres are now based online. You can continue to get support via Blackboard, email or phone. Click on the University Services tile on this microsite for more information.

I’m struggling to afford my food and living costs, can I access additional financial support?

We are pleased to announce that we have launched our Hardship Fund for undergraduate and postgraduate students, including those studying a PhD, who have been negatively financially impacted by COVID-19. Financial support will be available that will provide a contribution towards living costs for UK, EU and International students who are remaining in the UK.

The fund is primarily aimed at supporting students who have been unable to work due to illness, self-isolation or the loss of work due to business closures. Students with other circumstances leading to hardship can find more information and resources on our student finance page.

Details of the Hardship Fund, how to apply and the electronic application form are available at the following links: Home/EU students with a maintenance loan from SFE and International/EU students WITHOUT a maintenance loan from SFE. If you have any further queries about this you can email

Please note that the Hardship Fund is only available to DMU students and not those studying at our partner institutions.

I’d like to make a complaint, how can I do this?

We’re sorry if you feel dissatisfied or disadvantaged by anything in light of the current situation. If you’d like to make a complaint about anything relating to COVID-19, please email us at and we will look into this for you as soon as possible.

What will happen and what provision will be made for student carers?

If you have concerns about your capacity to complete your assignments as a result of having caring responsibilities, then please contact your module leader in the first instance to discuss ways in which we can support you to successfully complete your work. Please also be aware that the university transitions team is there to provide support. You can contact a member of the team on

I'm a college student at one of DMU's partner institutions, is any of this information relevant to me?

The information provided in these FAQs is for students undertaking a programme with DMU. Students on programmes that are validated by DMU, but are delivered by academic partner institutions, should refer to their institution or college for confirmation of local arrangements.

Is there anything the university is doing to help students who have returned home, but now have additional financial responsibilities?

If students live in a university-owned hall, then they have been released from the third term’s rents irrespective of whether they remain on campus or not. Several providers had agreed to release students from their final term rent obligations if they had registered their intention by the stipulated date on their website. Students will need to check with their provider to see if this option was available.

Students can apply to DMU’s Support Fund which can consider their application based on the criteria which is available on the DMU website. The team will consider what the additional financial responsibilities are and how this might impact on someone’s financial situation.

Students can also apply for a refund on TV licences.

Students can still book appointments with the Student Finance and Welfare team via MyGateway if they would like to discuss their particular circumstances with a member of staff. The team is also available via email.


I’m struggling to get food, medicine or other necessities. What can I do?

If you are experiencing hardship, in that you cannot afford essentials such as food, but are able to leave your accommodation for shopping, please make an application to our Hardship Fund.

If you are unable to leave your accommodation due to shielding or because of self-isolation due to the coronavirus then here are a few suggestions which might be available to you:

  • Do you have friends or relatives who might can assist you with buying or collecting items on your behalf?
  • Are there people you could reach out to such as course mates who might be able to help?
  • Have you connected with other students still living in Leicester through our dedicated Facebook group? The group (COVID-19 UPDATES: Students staying on campus) is a place for you to find out all the latest advice and guidance, and you may find that there are people in the group who are offering to help.
  • Could you arrange a takeaway delivery?
  • Do you have family or friends who could purchase takeaway credit on your behalf or top up a supermarket voucher for you to order food on?

If none of these are options for you and you’re unable to leave your accommodation for the essential supplies you need, such as food and prescriptions, please contact +44 (0) 116 255 5576 (open during regular business hours). 

Where can I get advice if I’m struggling financially or have other welfare concerns?

If you have financial worries, issues with your living conditions or concerns over your health or that of a member of your family, then we’ll do our best to offer you support and guidance.

We recommend contacting us via email at to explain the circumstances, and a member of the team will then get in touch with you to discuss things further and see what options are available to you.

What are you offering to help disabled students in the current circumstances, specifically regarding mental health?

We contacted disabled students at the start of the lockdown and asked them to let us know of anything they would need. Where disabled students' needs are specific, they can of course look to have support put in place through the DSA.

The DSU team is still working remotely and is happy to advise students on how they can access the university’s support services – including DAS, mental health and counselling.

We would also advise students to check out the Healthy DMU hub which has lots of advice and guidance on how to look after your wellbeing. Students should also maintain contact with their personal tutors.

Events at DMU

At DMU there is always something to do or see, check out our events for yourself.

News target area image

DMU is a dynamic university, read about what we have been up to in our latest news section.

Mission and vision target area image
Mission and vision

Read about our mission and vision and how these create a supportive and exciting learning environment.