Graduation Support Fund 2017
Graduation will always be one of the most special days of a student’s life and at De Montfort University (DMU) we work especially hard to ensure you have the most fantastic end to your time at university.
We recognise that sometimes students are unable to attend their graduation ceremony because they are unable to meet the costs of tickets for their guests and gown hire.
We are therefore offering students the opportunity to submit an application to receive either two guest tickets free, gown hire free or both. (Please note that you do not have to pay for your own ticket to graduate).
Regardless of whether you are provided with free tickets or not it is your responsibility to register your attendance. This must be completed before Monday 22 May 2017.
We have a number of awards to allocate to cover some of the cost of your graduation. In order to be eligible you need to submit 500 words making a case for support. This case should detail financial pressures that may prevent you from coming to your graduation. (Anything after 500 words will not be taken into consideration). You can also submit up to four pieces of documentary evidence that you feel may support your application.
A panel will consider your application and communicate the outcome no later than 17 May so that if you are unsuccessful you still have time to buy your two guaranteed tickets for graduation before 22 May deadline should you still wish to attend.
The decision of the panel is final and there will be no appeals process. We only have a limited number of awards which will be distributed to those who demonstrate the greatest need.
Please ensure you meet the eligibility using the below checklist before submitting your application. In some circumstances we may award an application that doesn’t meet all of the below criteria but does demonstrate exceptional circumstances which may have caused you recent financial hardship.
Awarded where applicants have demonstrated that they have met all or most of the criteria below.
Maximum award of gown hire and two guest tickets (option to apply for one or both elements)
- Eligible for undergraduate students only
- Must not be a debtor to the university
- Must be eligible to graduate in Summer 2017 (cannot be deferred for a later graduation)
- Must demonstrate financial hardship through a 500 word submission and up to four supporting pieces of documentary evidence (each must be no more than one side of A4)
- Provide up to four supporting pieces of documentary evidence (each must be no more than one side of A4), for example, evidence of a disability (PIP/DLA), income-related benefits, medical evidence, evidence of recent job loss (P45), bank statement.
- Demonstration of exceptional circumstances that have caused you financial hardship recently
Applications open, Monday 10 April
Deadline for all applications, 5pm Friday 5 May
Students receive outcome of decision, Wednesday 17 May
Deadline to buy your two guaranteed guests tickets should you be unsuccessful, Monday 22 May.