Graduation Support Fund 2018
Graduation will always be one of the most special days of a student’s life and at De Montfort University we work especially hard to ensure you have the most fantastic end to your time at DMU.
We recognise that sometimes students are unable to attend their graduation ceremony because they are unable to meet the cost of tickets for their guests and gown hire.
We are therefore offering students who are facing genuine and unavoidable hardship the opportunity to submit an application to receive two guest tickets and gown hire free (remember, you do not have to pay for your own ticket to graduate).
Please note that regardless of whether you are provided with free tickets or not it is your responsibility to register your attendance directly with the graduation team, please see instructions on how to reply to your invitation.
You need to register your attendance by 5pm on Friday 1 December.
If you apply for the Graduation Support Fund the decision will be communicated to you on Friday 15 December so you still need to reply to your invitation and register your attendance and purchase two guest tickets. If your application to the Graduation Support Fund is successful you will be refunded for the price of two guest tickets and your robe hire.
We have a limited number of awards to allocate to cover some of the cost of your graduation. In order to be eligible you need to submit 500 words making a case for support. This case should detail financial pressures that may prevent you from coming to your graduation. (Anything after 500 words will not be taken into consideration). You can also submit up to four pieces of documentary evidence that you believe may support your application.
A panel will consider your application and communicate the outcome no later than 15 December 2017.
If your application for the Graduation Support Fund is successful and you have already purchased two guest tickets and ordered your robe, this will be refunded.
The decision of the panel is final and is not subject to appeal. We have a limited number of awards which will be distributed to those who demonstrate the greatest need.
Please ensure you meet the eligibility using the below checklist before submitting your application. In some circumstances we may award an application that doesn’t meet all the below criteria but does demonstrate exceptional circumstances which may have caused you recent financial hardship.
Graduation Support Fund Criteria checklist
Awarded where applications have demonstrated that they have met all or most of the criteria below. Maximum award of gown hire and two guest tickets.
- Eligible for undergraduate students only
- Must not be a debtor to the university, including library, tuition fees or equipment debt
- Must be eligible to graduate in January 2018 (cannot be deferred for a later graduation)
- Must demonstrate financial hardship through a 500 word submission on the application form and up to four supporting pieces of documentary evidence (each must be no more than one side of A4). Any application that is not accompanied by documentary evidence will not be considered.
- Provide up to four supporting pieces of documentary evidence (each must be no more than one side of A4), for example, evidence of a disability (Personal Independence Payment/Disability Living Allowance), income-related benefits, medical evidence, evidence of recent job loss (P45), bank statement
- Demonstration of exceptional circumstances that have caused you recent financial hardship
How to apply for the Graduation Support Fund
Submit an application form including a statement of no more than 500 words which makes a case for your eligibility for support. Include your P Number.
Supply up to four pieces of documentary evidence to support your case. Applications received without documentary evidence will not be considered.
Email this to email@example.com and mark your email ‘Graduation Support Fund’
Closing date for applications to the Graduation Support Fund is 5pm on Friday 1 December.
Graduation Support Fund timeline
Graduation Support Fund open Wednesday 1 November 2017
Deadline for all applications 5pm on Friday 1 December 2017
Students receive outcome of decision on Friday 15 December 2017
Please avoid contacting us about your application as the outcome will be confirmed on 15 December.