Employability Mentoring at DMU
The Employability mentoring project aims to improve your employability after graduation with the help of industry mentors. Our mentors will help you to realise your full potential and confidently achieve success in academic study, employment and life to become the person you aspire to be.Working with our mentors you will explore the following questions:
- Where am I now? Diagnose and clarify a student’s current position in relation to their own perceived employability
- Where do I want to be? Identify a future desired state as to the sort of professional you aim to become
- How will I get there? To explore future pathways using the experience and perspectives of employability mentors
- What is my action plan? To undertake actions based on new learning to think, speak and act differently in order to become the professional you seek to be
What is Employability Mentoring?
When you join the project to become a mentee, we will provide great support for you to learn professional skills to enable you to confidently connect with mentors from industry who can share their expertise through face-to-face, online and group mentoring experiences. Think of the Employability mentoring project as a journey which will help you grow and learn about yourself with the support of your mentor.
Produced by Josh Penlington, DMU graduate.
How does Employability Mentoring benefit students?
Following a successful mentoring experience you will have:
- a clearer understanding of your current position regarding your employability
- an improved awareness of the sort of professional they wish to become
- improved access to knowledge and experience from employability mentors
- improved opportunity to affect positive change to your own career plans as a result of the input of employability mentors
What do students think?
Talking to a mentor has given me a better understanding of the way employers think and what they expect and accordingly tailor my application to give myself a good chance. - Sumon
I found out that mentoring is not just about employability but is also about becoming the best you can be in every aspect of life - Kam
The vast amount advice I received was extremely useful to go forward keeping me motivated whilst studying. - Kate
I discovered more about networking events and using social media such as LinkedIn to stand out and communicate with potential employers. - Ejiro
Interested in being mentored?
To find out more, please fill out and submit the expression of interest form. We’ll arrange to meet you so you can ask any questions and find out if this programme is right for you.
Building Partnerships at DMU: Leicester Castle Business School
We have an active partnership with the Leicester Castle Business School at DMU, which provide our students with quality mentoring. One such example was working with Bijna Dasani Katira, notable DMU alumni and award winning financial services executive. This short film highlights the value and power of mentoring for our students.
Latest project news
Our Employability Mentoring newsletter contains the latest news about the project, a focus on mentors, and updates from the team:
Employability Mentoring Newsletter July 2017
A Quality Assured Project
We are proud to have achieved the Approved Provider Scheme from the Mentoring and Befriending Foundation in November 2015 following a detailed audit of our Employability Mentoring Project at De Montfort University. We aim to continuously maintain and build on the quality of our services as stated in our project's vision.
Contact our team
General project email: email@example.com
Employability Mentoring Officer
T: 0116 207 8979
M: 07909 000127
Employability Mentoring Assistant
T: 0116 257 7478