Institute of Energy and Sustainable Development postgraduate and research study options
PhD Study opportunities
Thematic areas for doctoral research include the following:
- Smart grid and demand response
- Low impact building and industrial energy efficiency
- Smart cities and smart villages
- Solutions for the base of the pyramid population
- Resource use behaviour, resilience and governance of communities and technical systems
- Climate change response
Successfully completed PhD thesis titles in 2018 include the following:
- Smart solutions to manage peak electricity demand in Saudi Arabia
- Impact of climate change on youth in small island communities: The case of St. Vincent and the Grenadines.
- Managing the structure, regulation and infrastructure investment decisions in the natural gas industry of Ghana
- An analysis of agricultural practices for environmental protection and management of the rural Red River Delta Region of Vietnam
For information regarding postgraduate research contact Professor Subhes Bhattacharyya, firstname.lastname@example.org
Master of Philosophy (MPhil) and Doctor of Philosophy (PhD) degrees
IESD offers an excellent environment for doctoral and postgraduate research and welcomes students from around the world to work on energy and sustainable development challenges. IESD researchers are supervising more than 50 doctoral students and they come under the Doctoral Training Programme on Sustainable Development.
The research community facilitates a training capability that is systems based and provides clear guidance for undertaking the cross-disciplinary research necessary for understanding complex ‘real world’ issues and for engaging with the problem owners. This programme ensures that a systematic and replicable approach is communicated whereby the researchers can recognise where their own expertise is necessary but, potentially more importantly, where, and how, other expertise can be utilised.
For further information, please contact:
Professor Mark Lemon
T: +44 (0)116 257 7977
Postgraduate taught courses
This course will allow you to understand how sustainable development can be achieved and how we can deal with global climate change through sustainable energy, more efficient design and manufacturing, better management of buildings, organisations and behaviour change. You are able to choose from a range of modules to focus either on more general sustainable development, policy and behaviour change or consider strategies for business and industrial sustainability. If you want to be equipped, challenged or re-trained to lead communities, organisations and governments in responding to this challenge then this course is for you.
This course allows you to gain ability to undertake modelling and simulation for the performance analysis of buildings and to develop an understanding of energy efficient building design and renewable energy integration into buildings.
This course is designed for engineers wishing to take up a management role and it links business knowledge with engineering and sustainable development issues.
For more information call us on +44 (0)116 2 50 60 70