Experts from Leicester Castle Business School (LCBS) are offering advice on topics from starting a business to taking your company global at a series of taster sessions today.
The Beyond Business as Usual event, part of Leicester Business Festival, is an opportunity for visitors to discover more about personal development courses, professional qualifications and gain insights into business challenges such as employee engagement and successful product launches.
LCBS academics have a wealth of experience in business, from helping start-ups and bringing products to market, to working with some of the world's biggest companies. They will be running nine, hour-long sessions for the event, which is free and runs from 8.30am to 5.30pm at the Castle.
Visitors can drop in to the sessions that interest them most if they cannot commit to a whole day.
There are networking opportunities throughout the day, which finishes with drinks and the chance to take part in a chocolate tasting, inspired by one of the sessions for food businesses.
Record numbers expected at this year's Leicester Business Festival
DMU business experts prepare host of free events for Leicester Business Festival
Careers Fair links students with some of the regions biggest employers
Here's a taste of what's on offer today:
- Interested in business coaching and helping senior leaders to move forward? Meet experienced executive coach Lucy Mullins and discover how to take the next step in your coaching career.
- Food businesses are under incredible pressure with uncertainties over Brexit, changing consumer demands, new laws and supply chain problems. Discover how university collaboration could help.
- Learn the secret to doing business globally - understanding the culture not just of businesses but how people and teams work in different countries. This session is led by Stephen Martin who has worked across Europe, Asia, Latin America and the Middle East.
- Are your staff enthusiastic self-starters or is morale low? Find out how to engage your staff at an interactive session run by DMU's Chris Prince. It is a taster session for a one-day business masterclass.
- More customers are demanding that the products they buy are environmentally friendly. What challenges does this present to businesses? DMU's Professor of Design, Peter Ford, shows how smart design thinking can solve the problem.
- How effective are you as a leader? Find out with consultant Chris Prince, who will examine what having a 'leadership mindset' means - how to inspire others, build engagement and drive change.
- Could you spot the mistakes businesses have made? This interactive session led by Professor Paul Hughes runs through business scenarios to show how data could mislead managers - and how spotting the signals can better drive marketing and business strategies.
- Get a taste of topics covered by an Executive MBA - accredited by the Chartered Management Institute - including strategic thinking, different managerial approaches and developing a 'bigger picture' view.
- If you are just starting out, hear the essentials you need to cover from Simon Baines, manager of the Innovation Centre at DMU, Leicester city centre's co-working space and home to our graduate start-up programme The Crucible.
Posted on Friday 27th October 2017