International Centre for Sports History and Culture (ICSHC) Conference Registration.
From the Racing Club and the Stade Francais in Paris to Bordeaux, Toulouse and Beziers, Bayonne and a host of other great teams from the South-West, the French love their rugby! France was the only country to play in the 'Home internationals' in the twentieth century when the 'Five Nations' became a fixture in our national sporting calendar. The holding of the Rugby Union World Cup in France this year provides an ideal opportunity for De Montfort University's International Centre for Sports History and Culture to host an exploration and celebration of this special sporting relationship and to reflect on the roots of the game in Britain.
Speakers and papers:
• Dilwyn Porter (ICSHC Emeritus Professor), ‘One Hundred Years On: celebrating William Webb Ellis in 1923’.
• Tony Collins (ICSHC Emeritus Professor), ‘So Long Marianne: The 1931 expulsion of France from rugby's Five Nations’.
• Katharine Short (DMU Special Collections), ‘The Leicester Tigers Archive in DMU Special Collections’.
• Lydia Furse (Independent Researcher and ICSHC PhD graduate), ‘Barette in France’.
• Maria Pasarello Clerice (Universitat de Vic - Universitat Central de Catalunya – (ICSHC Visiting Research Fellow for November 2023), ‘France as a Bridge: The French Influence on the Advancement of Rugby in Southwest Europe - A Case Study of Catalonia’.
• Adrian Smith (University of Southampton Emeritus Professor), ‘Following the French? Big money clubs in the English Championship’.
Ticket sales will close 1 hour before the event starts.
Please contact the DMU Events Office on email@example.com if you have any questions.