Information for new DMU applicants and current students: Placement Terms and Conditions
All Business and Law students have the opportunity to take a paid placement year in industry, before their final year.
Placements are full time jobs and are available in a wide variety of sectors include private, public and not-for profit. Over 90% of employers will pay between £12,000 and £26,000. The average for placements is around £14,000 outside of London.
Why you should do a placement
- Gain invaluable work experience where you will develop key transferable skills such as time management, problem solving and analytical skills which will enhance your CV
- Discover a profession which matches your passion and gain a better understanding into which career path you would like to pursue
- Make new contacts whilst on placement and learn how to network, which will increase your chances of securing a graduate job. If you perform well, your placement employers may consider employing you after graduating
- Students who take a placement year are more likely to achieve higher grades in their final academic year, due to their ability to apply practical knowledge to academic theory
- Completing a placement year will increase your chances of starting on a higher graduate salary due to your experience
- Gain experience in job searching, attending interviews and practising aptitude tests, all of which are vital in a recruitment process
- Learn about how organisations operate, how to work alongside colleagues and about organisational culture
Support – Placement Team
There is plenty of support available throughout the placement year, beginning from searching for a role, during and after you complete your placement.
- Book 1-2-1 appointments – Our advisors know which type of candidates employers are looking for, so book a 1-2-1 appointment and use the time to ask the advisor any questions you may have about placements, your CV, interviews and more.
- Search for jobs on My Gateway – We advertise over 1000 vacancies every academic year on the student portal, so there are plenty of opportunities for all students to secure a placement.
- Mock interviews – Interviews are a vital aspect of the selection process for placements. Our team will stage mock interviews with you, so you can go into an interview confident and fully prepared.
- Practice aptitude tests – Employers are likely to ask candidates to complete a series of tests to make sure they are selecting the right candidate. We can provide you with examples of these tests, so you can prepare in advance.
- Presentations/Workshops – We will keep you informed by email and social media about the presentations and workshops we host, which are designed to give you the advice on how to secure a placement. You will also have the opportunity to talk to and get advice from students who have returned to university after completing their placement year.
- During and after placement support – You will be assigned a placement tutor who will support you with your personal and academic development during your time in industry. You can seek guidance from the Placement Team or your tutor if you have any problems during your placement. Upon completing your placement, you have the opportunity to become a mentor to second year students who are seeking a placement.
Marketing Management BA (Hons)
Marketing Communications Assistant - Volkswagen Group UK
The Placement Team helped me with everything from getting my CV to a professional standard to staging mock interviews with me, so I felt thoroughly prepared for my interview with VW.
My placement year is allowing me to apply what I’ve learnt in lectures to a real working environment. One of the most enjoyable aspects of my placement is working alongside a variety of people from different backgrounds and cultures.
I would highly recommend undertaking a placement. The skills I am developing and experience I am gaining during my time in industry is making me well-rounded candidate for employers.
International Business and Globalisation
Marketing Communications - National Instruments
I chose DMU because it was the only university in the UK which offered an honours degree in International Business and Globalisation.
With the help of the Placement Team I secured a placement with National Instruments. Working at a global organisation gave me invaluable work experience and has enhanced my CV significantly.
I would highly recommend studying at Leicester Business School. The theory I studied on my course and the practical experience I have gained on my placement year has transformed me into accomplished candidate for employers
Going on a placement year can bring great rewards but it does require students to be very proactive when applying for placements and to understand the competitive stages involved. Please read the Placement terms and conditions at the top of this page to make sure a placement year is the right opportunity for you.