Information for postgraduate research students
Welcome to your doctoral and research student community…
As a new research degree student, we know you will be wondering what your experience will be like during the next academic year.
While the first few months as a research degree student will be different, we want to assure you that you will have access to the same resources, training, and support as normal, albeit in an online format in most cases.
We’ve developed a handbook specifically for postgraduate research students where you can find out more about learning online and the support we can offer you. Take a look here.
If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to contact us via email@example.com.
The deadline for applications to start in October has now passed. We are now accepting applications for either our January 2021 or April 2021 intake. Click here for FAQs for postgraduate research students which you may find useful.
Research Community and Activities
When the UK-wide lockdown occurred earlier this year, we moved all our training and delivery online. Current students are able to engage in their training and discuss their research questions with academics as required.
We will deliver our doctoral training workshops online between September and January – these sessions will also be an opportunity for you to ask questions, converse with your peers, and share your experiences. And if you can’t make a session, don’t worry! We have recordings and materials available for you to engage with in your own time.
Other events that you can look forward to in the first few months of your doctoral journey include:
- Coming to the East Midlands Doctoral Network’s Postgraduate Research Conference on Sustainability in September. While this starts before the official start in October, we would very much welcome your attendance of this conference that DMU is hosting with the University of Leicester. You can learn more by visiting here and booking to attend.
- Participating in our Doctoral College Lecture Series. These are talks delivered by research degree students linked to a World Awareness Day. These are hosted in an online format and are open to not just you but to the wide world. Curious of what this looks like? You can view our past online Doctoral College lectures here and here.
- Attending your Doctoral College Induction. This is a mandatory component of your training but it is also a great opportunity to meet your peers. The October Induction will be an online endeavour but will also feature a series of ‘social meet and greets’.
- Joining us on one of our online Supervisor-Student Masterclasses. These sessions are designed to showcase good practice and how to create a fruitful relationship with your supervisory team even from a distance.
- Coming to our Postgraduate E-Social in December – this event allows for more social and informal discussion with your peers. There are break-out groups with your faculty PGR reps and the session will focus on resilience.
We also have other great events planned for 2020-2021 including our launch of the Doctoral College Showcase in May 2021. This event features a week of activities, poster competitions, displays and 3 Minute Thesis presentations delivered by our researchers, including our doctoral and research degree students.
We look forward to welcoming you to DMU!