Stephen Lawrence Professional Scholarship terms and conditions
All students must meet all of the following criteria and terms and conditions in order to be considered for the scholarship and receive the scholarship.
Eligibility criteria for scholars and applicants
- Regarded as a home/UK status student for tuition fees and student finance.
- Enrolled on year one of one of the following full-time courses and being charged the full tuition fees (£9,250 for 19/20 starters):
BA (Hons) Architecture
BA (Hons) Journalism
LLB (Hons) Law
- Tuition fees are not being paid (in full or part) by a sponsor or any other professional body.
- Household Income as assessed in student finance application £25,000 or below.
- Scholarship applications must be submitted to DMU by 5pm on Friday 13 December 2019.
- Have their student finance application approved by 13 December 2019 in order for DMU to assess the eligibility for the award with the outcome for student finance visible to DMU in the Student Loans Company portal.
- Not studied in higher education previously. Only applicants with exceptional circumstances could be considered outside these criteria.
- Students must be enrolled on, and attending an eligible course when the payments are made. Students who transfer to a non-eligible course will cease to be eligible and payments will be prorated up to the point of eligibility.
- Scholarships are not normally paid during repeat years of study.
- Must achieve at least a 60 per cent average mark at the end of each year of your studies to continue to receive the scholarship in the following year (except placement years).
Terms and conditions
- This scholarship is not transferrable.
- Student funding record must be in a position for the scholarship allocation to be made and paid, as the bursary element of the scholarship is normally paid directly into a student's bank account by the SLC on behalf of DMU. This means that the following criteria must have been met:
a) Your completed student finance application must have been assessed and finalised by SFE, SFW, SFNI, SAAS (no income related awards will be awarded on provisional financial assessments)
b) You must have signed and returned your student declaration form to the SLC.
c) Your SFE, SFW, SFNI, SAAS record must be available to DMU. Therefore you must have given student finance permission* for your information to be shared with the university.
d) You must ensure that your parents/sponsors have given student finance their permission for their information to be shared with DMU. Permission/consent from you and/or your parents can be given by calling SFE on 0300 100 0612
e) The data held on your student finance record must meet the award eligibility criteria.
f) Once deemed eligible for the award, if your SFE record is not in a position for allocation and/or payment to be made, your payment will be delayed or not made at all.
- The bursary element of the scholarship will be paid in instalments in line with DMU’s normal Bursary and Scholarship payment schedule.
- Any scholarship/bursary payments made by DMU/ Student Loans Company (SLC) after a student has interrupted their studies or withdrawn from the university will normally be recovered from the student.
- Any bursary or scholarship payment made by DMU/ SLC in error OR paid as a result of false information submitted will normally be recovered from the student.
- If a payment is not received, it is the responsibility of the student to urgently contact the Student Finance and Welfare team at DMU, so that the non-payment can be investigated. The deadline for the payment of scholarships is the end of the summer term. For the 2019/20 academic year this will be Friday 12 June 2020. No further awards will be made after this date. Please note: do NOT leave any queries about non-payment until the deadline, as it may take time to investigate and resolve your query.
- Payments are triggered via DMU returning a positive registration and attendance confirmations at the relevant points. This process is carried out automatically on your behalf. Students whose SFE, SFW, SFNI, SAAS record is not in a position to have their attendance confirmed will experience a delay in payment.
DMU reserves the right to revise or amend these eligibility criteria and terms and conditions at any time without prior notice. The information provided above must be used in conjunction with award specific information on our Scholarships and Bursaries.