DMU Sport Scholarships
The DMU Sport Scholarships provide students with the opportunity to develop their sporting performance while studying at university.
Eligible students will be awarded up to £6,000 of support. This includes:
A cash bursary of up to £4,000 and up to £2,000 towards sport-specific support including:
- Physiotherapy and Sports Coaching
- Specific Sports Coaching
- DMU Sport Scholar Kit
- Sport Specific Costs including entry fees and sport related memberships
Plus, a host of elite performance support including:
- Personalised Strength and Conditioning training
- Educational Performance Workshops
- Nutrition, Psychology and Anti-Doping support
- Performance Lifestyle Support
- Gold membership at the Queen Elizabeth II Diamond Jubilee Leisure Centre
See our 2020-21 Sport Scholars.
Hear from current DMU Sport Scholars on how they've benefited from the scholarship.
To be considered for the DMU Sport Scholarships you must:
- Be enrolled on an undergraduate, postgraduate taught or postgraduate research course during the academic year 2019 or 2020/21
- Compete at a high representative level*, and be able to demonstrate passion and commitment to your sport
- Compete in a sport that is part of the British Universities and Colleges Sport (BUCS) programme or compete in a sport that is in the Commonwealth, Olympic or Paralympic Games.
*We are aware that there are huge variances in sports, and the standards people can achieve, so email us if you’d like to discuss your application further.
Below are the tiers of scholarship available:
- Tier 1: For students representing their sport Internationally or Nationally
- Tier 2: For students involved in a National Development Pathway
- Tier 3: For student consistently playing for a regional team & representing their region in National competitions
- Tier 4: For students at exceptional County/Regional level, who are raising the level of their club
- Recognition Tier: For students who are at Tier 2 or above but who are also already receiving an academic scholarship from DMU
Once your application has been submitted and the deadline for applications has passed, your application will be reviewed by a panel. All applicants will recieve an email with their outcome within one month of the application closing date.
|Individual total value
||Up to £6,000
||Up to £3,500
||Up to £1,600
||Up to £1,100
||Up to £1,500
||Up to £4,000
||Up to £2,500
||Up to £1,000
||Up to £600
||Up to £500
|Value in kind
||Up to £2,000
||Up to £1,000
||Up to £600
||Up to £500
||Up to £1,000
Terms and conditions and course exclusions apply to this scholarship.
How to apply
Applications for courses starting in January 2021 has now closed. We will reopen the application page in early spring for the 2021/22 academic year.
Late applicants will be considered on a merit basis. Please contact us.
If you are a talented person and considering DMU to study in 2021/22 please contact us now to see how we can support you.
Athletes who consider themselves to be eligible for Tier 1 and Tier 2 Scholarships are encouraged to apply earlier and contact us so a decision can be made in advance.
Frequently asked questions
Q: I am not studying an academic sports course, am I still eligible to apply for the DMU Sport Scholarships?
A: Yes! The DMU Sports Scholarships are designed to support talented athletes progress within their sport and are related to your degree. Please note there are some courses exclusions.
Q: If I am awarded a DMU Sport Scholarships what funding will I receive?
A: The DMU Sports Scholarships provide funding of up to £6,000, dependant on the athlete level. If your application is successful your funding level will be confirmed to you within your award letter.
Q: When can I apply for a DMU Sport Scholarships?
A: There are three deadlines to apply for the DMU Sports Scholarship, the deadlines are: September, October, January. Unfortunately any applications outside of these deadlines will not be considered for a scholarship.
Q: If I am awarded a DMU Sport Scholarships in my first year do I automatically receive the scholarship in my second and third year?
A: The scholarship award is for one year only and if you would like to be considered for a scholarship in an additional study year you will need to reapply.
Q: Should I provide evidence with my application?
A: Yes it is important to provide as much evidence as possible to support your application.
Q: When will I receive my payments if successful?
A: The scholarship payments will be split into three payments, one per term directly in to your chosen bank account.
Q: Who makes the final decision on whether or not a DMU Sport Scholarships is awarded?
A: A panel is comprised of staff members from DMUsport to make the final decision.
Q: What should I do if I disagree with the application decision?
A: Email DMUsport outlining any issues or concerns you may have.
Q: Which sports are eligible for the DMU Sport Scholarships?
A: Scholarships are available to all BUCS, Olympic, Paralympic and Commonwealth sports. Please email DMUsport if unsure.
Q: I am having problems submitting my application online, who do I contact?
A: Email DMUsport outlining the issues you are having a member of the team will try to assist you.
Q: Will I receive my scholarship if I do not meet all the terms and conditions?
A: Sadly if you do not meet all the terms and conditions your funding offer will be withdrawn and you will not be eligible to receive the DMU Sports Scholarship.