DMU Sports Scholarships terms and conditions
In these terms and conditions we refer to certain terms more than once and we set out here what they mean:
‘BUCS’ means British Universities and College Sport (BUCS) the national governing body for Higher Education sport in the UK
’’the Student’ - means the eligible student who is successful in their application for the Scholarship.
‘the Scholarship’ – means the financial and In Kind Support provided.
‘in Kind Support’ - means a cash equivalent award of support for the Student for Eligible Help.
‘Eligible Help’ - means support for the Student which will assist with their sporting and/or academic performance such as strength and conditioning training, sport specific training, physiotherapy, sports massage, private medical insurance, sports psychology, or nutrition support as determined by DMU acting reasonably but excluding any substances or assistance which is unlawful including those substances listed by the World Anti-Doping Agency guidelines.
This Scholarship is available for students who:
- Are enrolled on an undergraduate, postgraduate taught or postgraduate research course during the academic year 2017/18;
- Compete in sports at a high representative level, and are able to demonstrate passion and commitment to a chosen sport (although experience level is not a guarantee of a successful application or scholarship awards);
- As at the date of the Agreement, the Student must have been enrolled on one of the approved courses as detailed in the DMU Vice-Chancellor’s Sport Scholarship approved Course list
- The Scholarship is only available to students paying their own fees (including those in receipt of Student Loans Company Funding). Sponsored students will not be eligible.
- Not all sports are included in BUCS; students who participate in sports not included in BUCS or those who cannot take part in BUCS for other reasons are still eligible and welcome to apply
- Applicants must have no outstanding debt to the university.
- The maximum value of the award per Student will be the total cash and In Kind amount which is applicable per Tier as set out in the Levels of Scholarship on our webpage.
- For the cash award Scholarship payments will be paid in 3 instalments (1 per term) over the course of the academic year (we will notify you of the dates).
- The Scholarship payment is a cash bursary and not a fee waiver.
- Scholarships are awarded to the individual and cannot be transferred.
- It is recommended that the Student uses the financial assistance elements of the Scholarship for tuition, housing, books, educational supplies, associated course or programme costs, competition entry costs, and specialist sports equipment. The University reserves the right to request, and the Student shall supply, full details of how the financial assistance has been spent. Along with supporting evidence if requested by the University.
- The In-Kind Support provided by DMU as a part of the scholarship cannot be offered in a cash alternative format. This must be used in the first year of study.
- In Kind Support is only accessible via the university. No reimbursement will be made to the Student in the event the Student pays for in kind support themselves.
- If the Student fails to comply with these terms, the university may require the repayment of the financial assistance in full or in part.
- The scholarship award is for one academic year only and cannot be carried over or deferred into a separate academic year. Students wishing to receive a scholarship in future years will be required to reapply within the specific time periods of each specific academic year.
- Where a course lasts longer than one academic year but less than two, then if reapplying in the second academic year successful scholarships will be pro-rata’d to reflect their academic time at the university.
Obligations of the Student - general
- The Student must pass all modules within his or her academic course in accordance with relevant rules or regulations applicable to that course.
- The Student must dedicate adequate time to studies and to completion of course work required for receipt of the Student’s degree in accordance with relevant rules or regulations applicable to that course.
- The Student must attend all classes barring verifiable hardships, such as illness or injury. The University reserves the right to seek independent verification of the hardship to monitor, and assess, compliance with this obligation.
- The Student must continue to study at least 60 credit points each year (as per BUCS regulations), or whatever is required in accordance with relevant rules or regulations applicable to that course.
- The Student must maintain academic progress. Failure to maintain academic progress may require full repayment of the Scholarship received.
- DMU reserves the right to interview applicants to support the shortlisting process, within a week's notice.
- The Scholarship cannot be transferred to anyone else.
- Other than Recognition level, this Scholarship cannot be combined with any other undergraduate or postgraduate scholarships or awards offered at DMU, only one will apply.
- Postgraduate applicants who do not start their course in the Autumn 2019 intake are encouraged to enquire, and may be awarded the scholarship on a case-by-case basis
- Scholarships are awarded at the discretion of the university.
Obligations of the Student - Involvement with representative events, general training and associated administrative tasks
The Student is required to:
- Attend all DMUsport club and individual training sessions as agreed. If the Student will miss such a session or training, or thinks there is a chance they may miss such a session or training, the Student should contact the relevant member of the DMUsport team, as agreed at the start of the Scholarship, to secure the agreement of the University.
- Attend all Scholarship related activities, including but not limited to 1-2-1 meetings, nutrition sessions, S&C sessions and psychology sessions, barring verifiable hardships, such as illness or injury. The University reserves the right to seek independent verification of the hardship to monitor, and assess, compliance with this obligation.
- Represent the University in all BUCS competitions/ matches within his or her sport barring verifiable hardships, such as illness or injury, or other valid reason as agreed with the relevant member of the DMUsport team, as agreed at the start of the Scholarship.
- All Students will be required to take part in the relevant annual DMUsport trials, at which point DMU reserves the right to review the allocation of a Scholarship to any individual.
Repayment of the scholarship
- If the Student fails to comply with these terms and conditions, the University may end the scholarship award, refuse to make any further payments of financial assistance or in-kind assistance and recover from the Student sums actually paid and/or the value of any in-kind support provided.
- Suspension, withdrawal or dismissal from the University (whether voluntarily, administratively or following due process) is highly likely to require full repayment of the Scholarship received, both the financial assistance and the value of the in-kind support.
- DMU reserves the right to cancel any scholarship which has been claimed fraudulently