Watch: Take a look behind the scenes of our Textile Design students' photoshoot of their final year collections and find out what inspire them.
This creative course covers an extensive programme of study that instils the relevant knowledge, understanding and skills required to become a practising designer in a global textile market. Industry experts will help you to explore ambitious textile solutions and carry out innovative visual research.
You can specialise in one of four areas of textile design – mixed media, print, knit or weave. Mixed media focuses on creating contemporary, innovative collections of textiles and products for interiors and fashion. Printed textiles translate imagery onto textile surfaces for both fashion and interior markets and you will explore inventive use of screen printing and dyeing processes.
Constructed textiles, knit and weave, concentrate on design for fashion and interior markets. You will develop innovative collections through your use of yarn, fibres and dyeing and explore structure to its fullest extent.
You will be based in our award-winning Vijay Patel Building, which provides both the space and the facilities to foster creative thinking, where ideas can develop and flourish for all of our art and design students.
Our aim is to prepare you for a career in the international textile industry, which offers countless opportunities to develop, progress and learn new skills.
- DMU is ranked in the Top 10 for Fashion and Textiles in the UK (Guardian University Guide 2020).
- You have the opportunity to experience all four specialist areas of textile design and the associated equipment and technologies on offer, enabling you to make an informed decision about the pathway you will choose for your second and third year.
- Work on live projects with industry experts to gain valuable skills and experience. Recent briefs have been set by Hand & Lock, Hallmark Cards and Sainsbury’s.
- Opportunity to do a placement to boost your career opportunities. Recent students have landed roles at Alexander McQueen, Primark, Berghaus, Camira, Irisa, Jane Bowler and Marks & Spencer.
- This course has a strong reputation with industry experts, with recent graduates employed by Aston Martin, Timberland, Jigsaw, Zoffany, Arcadia Group and Next.
- 100% of our Textile Design graduates from summer 2017 are in work or further study after graduating (Destinations of Leavers from Higher Education 2016-17 report).
- Gain valuable international experience as part of your studies with our DMU Global programme. Previous course-focused trips have taken students to New York, Berlin, Amsterdam and Paris.
- We provide core workshop materials at no cost, and give cash awards – £150, £200 and £300 in years one, two and three respectively – to support personal materials/printing costs*.
DMU Sports Scholarship
Apply for the DMU Sports Scholarship, worth up to £6,000.
DMU Global High Flyers Award
Our dedicated DMU Global High Flyers Award offers ambitious students a discount of up to £1,000 towards a DMU Global opportunity (terms and conditions apply).
More courses like this:
Fashion Textile Design BA (Hons)