DMU has a long-established reputation as a Centre for Excellence in Performance Arts, which reflects our commitment to innovative and excellent teaching and learning.
This course incorporates many contemporary arts disciplines, such as acting, dance, voice, physical theatre, music theatre, sound design and digital video. It celebrates and investigates the possibilities of live and digital arts in a range of performance contexts, from the traditional to the avant-garde.
With a focus on making performance, you can tailor your studies to your own passions and aspirations in areas such as contemporary performance, digital performance and applied arts and education. You will be supported to develop as an innovative artist able to create, perform and manage yourself, and others, within the national and international performing arts industries.
Our graduates are dynamic, creative practitioners who can take a piece of performance right through from creative brief to public performance – skills that are attractive to potential employers. As a graduate, you will be equipped with a high level of resilience and a range of skills and experience that will enable you to respond flexibly to the changing landscape of the sector.
- You will study a range of topics such as physical theatre, dramatic performance, digital sound and film, site specific, and contemporary music theatre in an intensive project-based approach mirroring the performing arts industry.
- Graduates have gone on to pursue a variety of roles and performance opportunities, including teaching and training, projects at Curve theatre and collaborative research and development.
- Gain practical experience by collaborating with industry professionals. Recent internationally renowned visiting companies have included dance-theatre company Lost Dog and theatre collective Gob Squad.
- Develop transferable skills in marketing, fundraising, budget management, general administration and outreach activities to prepare you for the contemporary professional arts-making sector and beyond.
- DMU is recognised as a Centre for Excellence in Performance Arts, with great facilities providing specialist studios and rehearsal spaces designed specifically for performance learning activities. Access digital video cameras, sound recording equipment and editing suites to enhance and perfect your craft.
- Take part in our international experience programme, DMU Global. Students have benefited from trips to the Utrecht Spring Dance and Theatre Festival in the Netherlands, a performing artist’s residency in Valletta, Malta, and the opportunity to visit creative spaces and perform in New York.
- Benefit from the cutting edge research and practice carried out by Performing Arts staff in the Research Institute of Drama, Dance and Performance Studies Research.
Follow us on Facebook DMU Performing Arts, Instagram @dmu_performingarts and Twitter @DMUPerfArts.
DMU Sports Scholarship
Apply for the DMU Sports Scholarship, worth up to £6,000.
DMU Global High Flyers Award
Our dedicated DMU Global High Flyers Award offers ambitious students a discount of up to £1,000 towards a DMU Global opportunity (terms and conditions apply).
More courses like this:
Dance BA (Hons)
Drama BA (Hons)